Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Gibson Les Pauls vs. Fender Strats (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t34160/)

Clayton 09-06-2002 06:21 PM

no offense taken

but..............

it was cheaper man :)

Pete_H 09-07-2002 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jarhead
The Les Paul is much more versatile, you can get a nice crunchy sound or a high peircing sound very easily.
I would argue that point. I would say my Fat strat is more versatile than a Les Paul. I have the best of both worlds with a bridge humbucker and single coil pup's.

Mrstickball 09-07-2002 05:12 PM

What about a LP with a coil tap ? :)

Taylormade 09-07-2002 05:34 PM

You know the toby mac song,yours,where he says,"dont even get me started"?Well im humming that right now.Dont even get me going about the unbelievable superiority of my gibson over almost any fender for most kinds of rock.THe twang of an ugly and strangely light tele or jazzmaster is welcome on more southern or country arrangements,but other than that,dont even try to compare.And about the weight...is it possible to really really rock with a light guitar?Last time i tried i had to go to the dentist.Can i get an amen from all my punk/hard/rap rockers out there?Please?

Clayton 09-07-2002 06:04 PM

it's all in the fingers yes i got punk outa a gibi and strat and tele (look @ my avature) not to say my fingers are the best but hey. Guess thats not what u wanted to here u got me stared (great song by the way)

:kspin:

thesteve 09-07-2002 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Taylormade
You know the toby mac song,yours,where he says,"dont even get me started"?Well im humming that right now.Dont even get me going about the unbelievable superiority of my gibson over almost any fender for most kinds of rock.THe twang of an ugly and strangely light tele or jazzmaster is welcome on more southern or country arrangements,but other than that,dont even try to compare.And about the weight...is it possible to really really rock with a light guitar?Last time i tried i had to go to the dentist.Can i get an amen from all my punk/hard/rap rockers out there?Please?
LoL...this post just seems really misinformed to me. Here's some reasons...

mp3.com/dieradiodie the lead guitar is an American Telecaster I believe, or a Nashville Tele.
mp3.com/culverdrive One guitar is a 1972 thinline reissue. The other is a 1972 custom reissue.
Oh yeah...then there's Bruce Springsteen...he's always played a tele.
Personally I'd be happy with either guitar. Or even better if I could get my own guitar (1996 Fender Jagstang) repaired with a new Seymour Duncan SH-4 or SH-6 humbucker.

jarhead 09-07-2002 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pete_H
I would argue that point. I would say my Fat strat is more versatile than a Les Paul. I have the best of both worlds with a bridge humbucker and single coil pup's.
I've played a fat strat and it can't even compare with the crunch of a les paul. Sure, it helps a little to throw in the humbucker but you gotta remeber that it was made by seymour duncan :rolleyes: There is no such thing as a strat that is as versatile as a Les Paul, fat or not... in my opinion of course

jarhead 09-07-2002 06:30 PM

I would say it's possible to get tele's and strats thick enough for punk rock stuff but it's much harder than it would be if you had a Les Paul, and that twang still comes out at times. May i also bring up another point about fender, their custom shop will make a guitar for anyone with enough money. The Gibson custom shop has some integrity and only makes a guitar that has some importance. I once saw a fender guitar that looked like a race car, had tide written all over it, i immediattly thought sellout.

Taylormade 09-08-2002 08:21 AM

Some thing im still getting people to understand on this (great) site is that almost every post i make is tinged and laced with sarcasm.Obviously you could get punk out of strat,but i wouldnt care if every punk band in history used one,i find everything about a gibby better for any rock involving movement.Im not even talking sound,that is whole 'nuther ballpark.

RockinRonnie 09-08-2002 12:08 PM

Many guitarists have used the strat far more than many other varieties of guitar. Look at Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I guess I find it hard to ridicule their tastes in selecting instruments. Granted, they all didn't ONLY play strats, but you look at the live pictures and whatnot, that's what they usually had. Among others that played strats pretty exclusively are guys like Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, and even Kirk Hammett used a strat style guitar. Not too shabby company. It's not like any one style of guitar is so much better than any other. Jimmy Page often played a Les Paul, but he also used some of those dinky Danelectro styles as well as a southern twangy Telecaster. The issue is far from black and white. My personal preference: Les Paul.
Ryan

Guitar MC 09-09-2002 07:42 PM

Strats are the most coppied guitars for a reason. And whoever says that the LP is the most versitile guitar is just wrong. Also I think that real Gibsons are over-priced. Sure, they are great guitars, but $2000, give me a break.

Clayton 09-12-2002 05:09 PM

Yes 2,000 is to much to play but hey you can get an awsom gibbi special les and i love, it simple down ta earth. Great guitar. You know I just think that it is awsom, I played one the other day. In case you didn't notice

:kangel:

Mrstickball 09-12-2002 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guitar MC
Strats are the most coppied guitars for a reason. And whoever says that the LP is the most versitile guitar is just wrong. Also I think that real Gibsons are over-priced. Sure, they are great guitars, but $2000, give me a break.
You know why they copy fenders? Cheap to start with, cheap to copy.

Most guitars are overpriced, everyone has bundles to say about PRSes, but most cost just as much, or more than LPs, but most don't complain because they're such darn good guitars.

You want most versitile guitar? Get a LP with a coil-tap....Or a nice PRS with coil taps.

thesteve 09-12-2002 08:08 PM

Hehe...I think the reason that Fenders are copied more is because

1) they are an industry standard
2) the are simpler...not cheaper...simpler.

For example, You can make Strat style guitars outta alder, ash, basswood, poplar or just about whatever.

LP style guitars are almost always made out of mahogany with a flamed maple top. PRS's usually have flamed maple tops also. From what I've garnered, only maple looked like flamed maple...and flamed maple is generally expensive.

Pete_H 09-12-2002 08:13 PM

Quote:

I've played a fat strat and it can't even compare with the crunch of a les paul
I hear this arguement all the time and laugh. Am I missing something?:kconf: I thought you get great crunch sounds from an amp and any distortion effects that are plugged in. I guarantee you I can get the same crunch sounds, or probably as close to the same sounds as anyone. I will admit as I stated in a previous post the LP's have better sustain, but this argument that the guitar has great crunch sounds is laughable.

Quote:

There is no such thing as a strat that is as versatile as a Les Paul, fat or not... in my opinion of course
Thats just your opinion