Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Gibson Les Pauls vs. Fender Strats (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t34160/)

Pete_H 09-04-2002 02:35 PM

I like both Gibson LP's and Fender Strats. I currently own a Strat, but LP's have the best sustain of any guitar out there. This past weekend I was watching Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same movie. I haven't seen it in a few years, and forgot how great Jimmy Pages sound was those 2 nights at Madison Square Garden. His guitar just sang throughout the whole movie. The one thing I dislike about LP's is the wieght, but I guess thats why they have great sustain.

GopherWood 09-04-2002 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BluesJunkie
It's hard to beat the sound and feel of a Paul.

Amen to that Junkie.

You can take a wild guess at what I voted for.

LES PAUL!!!!!!

GMartin2R 09-04-2002 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pete_H
The one thing I dislike about LP's is the wieght, but I guess thats why they have great sustain.
yeha that's what i've heard that the body weight is what gives it such good sustain.

Travis 09-05-2002 10:41 AM

I canít believe this thread (or debate) even exists, much less that people actually choose Fender. It is NO contest. Gibson wins hands down.

Travis 09-05-2002 10:44 AM

And all of you that complain about the weight are just a bunch of wusses! ;) I'm a bass player for crying out loud! My bass probably weighs more than you guys do!

thesteve 09-05-2002 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Travis
And all of you that complain about the weight are just a bunch of wusses! ;) I'm a bass player for crying out loud! My bass probably weighs more than you guys do!
This cracks me up. I dunno...the basses I've played never struck me as being overly heavy. Maybe it's because they were low end, or maybe I'm just a stud

GMartin2R 09-05-2002 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Travis
it just might at that...:kgrin:

i'm just over 110 lbs... but hey cut me some slack cause i play acoustics most of the time and electric when i need to.

Lightinthedark 09-05-2002 04:46 PM

Hey, I'm 6'2", 185 lbs. a varsity football player, and I used to play bass, and I still say that LP's are too heavy. Actually, a LP probably weighs about the same as my bass. That doesn't mean I don't think that they sound great, but they're too heavy. In my humble opinion.

Guy 09-05-2002 08:13 PM

yeah travis is right, your ALL wusses!!!! HAHAHAHA BASSES ARE LIGHT!!!!

GMartin2R 09-05-2002 10:06 PM

okay so i'm an acoustic playing wuss...:ktongue:

i don't care...:ktongue:

:kgrin:

jarhead 09-05-2002 11:20 PM

HAHA, yeah sorry but if you can't handle 9 pounds (give or take depending on model) than you are a pretty big wussy. I mean your arms way 7 pounds!! Besides, it feels heavy at first but play it for a little while and you won't even notice. I can't stand strat's personally, if it's clean it sounds way to twangy, and don't even try to turn on distortion at high volumes, sheesh the feedback could kill the neighbors dog. The Les Paul is much more versatile, you can get a nice crunchy sound or a high peircing sound very easily. As far as the 5 way switch, I don't see it as very useful, I have a guitar with a 5 way and i usually just kick it into one of the 3 positions anyway (middle, bridge, neck). I think it's obvious what my vote went to. :D

thesteve 09-05-2002 11:26 PM

I think the biggest problem with the weight is that it's an extra 2 or 3 pounds all on your shoulders, and you might have that extra, unevenly distributed weight on your shoulder for 45minutes at a time. And most of the time, it's not padded.

Guy 09-06-2002 01:19 AM

Quote:

and don't even try to turn on distortion at high volumes, sheesh the feedback could kill the neighbors dog.
LMAO

Clayton 09-06-2002 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Guy
LMAO
what

I say both are nice. Out of the two i would have to pick les pauls. When I say les paul i mean the special that is the one i like a lot. It is lighter. But it has a certain simplicity about it that just makes me wanna jam. (wish i had 1) I also like the standard teles (i don't have either i got a cheap strat knock ofF) later y'all

:kwink:

jarhead 09-06-2002 06:02 PM

Cheap strat knock off, so you got the Fender kind haha sorry, had to take it. :D