Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Theory & Technique (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f4/)
-   -   Fingerpicking Patterns (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t24252/)

Smeagol 04-26-2002 05:22 PM

Fingerpicking Patterns

Hey, really know not much about this, so, I apologize if i don't know what i'm talking about or something. But I learned 2 simple ones in the guitar book i'm learning from (i'm basically teaching myself, asking friends when i need help). Ok, my questions are:

How many fingerpicking patterns are there, or do you really just make them up as you go as long as it sounds good in the song you're playing?

And my second question is, if there are some standard ones, does anyone know where i can find them on the internet, just in a list or something? I searched for it, and all i could find was really fingerpicking lessons, most of which were simple and showed only one pattern.

I think that's mostly it, but i'll probably have a bunch more questions after you all start answering mine :) Thanks in advance, and God bless.

~Matt

EagleTime 04-26-2002 07:06 PM

Hi, Matt. Here's my response to someone else's question on another thread regarding fingerpicking.
Quote:

Fingerpicking isn't that hard if you start by just arpegiating chords rather than trying to follow tabulature.

Start by picking the 5th string with your thumb, then the 3rd string with your index finger, then the 2nd string with your middle finger, and then the 1st string with your ring finger. Do that over and over in time (1-2-3-4).

So that it sounds better while you're practicing, you can finger a chord, if you want. When fingering a chord, pick either the 6th, 5th, or 4th string with your thumb, whichever is the chord's root. Then, doing the same 1-2-3-4 routine, alternate which string you pick with your thumb (e.g. 5th-3rd-2nd-1st; 4th-3rd-2nd-1st; 5th-3rd-2nd-1st; 4th-3rd-2nd-1st).

That's a simple 4/4. If you want to do eighth notes, try:
5th - thumb
4th - index
3rd - middle
2nd - ring
1st - pinkey
2nd - ring
3rd - middle
4th - index
. . . or . . .
5th - thumb
3rd - index
2nd - middle
1st - ring
2nd - middle
3rd - index
4th - thumb
3rd - index.

For 3/4, 6/4, or 6/8, or 12/8 you could try:
5th - thumb
3rd - index
2nd - middle
1st - ring
2nd - middle
3rd - index.

If you're feeling alittle more adventurous, try:
5th - thumb
3rd - index
1st - ring
3rd - index
2nd - middle
3rd - index.

Once you get the feel of these simple ones, start experimenting and making up your own patterns. Also try synchopating - not all straight quarter or eighth notes. Also, you don't have to go all the way to the 1st string - you could use just the 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd.

I hope that this helps. Don't be afraid to ask if I wasn't clear enough or if you have any other questions.

light 04-27-2002 05:45 AM

If i have the chords to a song can i also use the same chord for picking oso?

Scott 04-27-2002 01:25 PM

more or less, though sometimes you can hit a note that doesnt sound quite right at a particular point if you are singing at the same time.

SarBear 05-02-2002 10:58 PM

PIMA

So this is what I have learned in my litle lessons.. stop me if you have heard this before:

I was tought to use PIMA- P is your thumb, I is your index finger. M your middle, and A your ring finger. So the different strumming patterns are denoted by a combination of these letters. If any combination of these letters are in parentheses they are played simultaneously. So there's PIMAMI (or if it's easier- 432123),
PI(MA)I (43(21)3), PMPI (4132(out out in in)), and P(IMA) PP(IMA). The last one is my fav because it sounds like "welcome to the islands", especially playing A-AM7-A7, or D...
I hope that was something new for you to play around with.

:)

Unregistered 05-12-2002 05:59 PM

one i've been doing lately is
i use
Thumb, Middle, thumb, ring, thumb, pinkie, thumb, middle

it took me a while to get this fast and good, but its lots of fun

faintpulse 05-19-2002 12:33 AM

Fingering

PIMA is the right way to describe what your right hand is picking (assuming you're right handed). As your left hand is playing a chord, these repititious patterns are great to train your right hand (which alot of guitarists ignore, they only train their left hand). These patterns are call Arpeggios, and after a while can become quite tiresome and boring when repeated for a long time.

Just wanted to add something that my music teacher taught me many years ago. If you can first play the chord with the left hand, and then pick out the melody of the song at the same time, you will have more of a classical style of playing. You can then play solo and people will hear the arpeggio with the melody and then recognize the song. Its almost like two guitars playing.

Hope it makes sense. If you like, I can email you my version of "El Shaddai" showing you my picking pattern while playing the chords. Just send another post with your email. I play alot of soft classical songs like this for church service. I also jam with my wah-wah pedal on other songs (our church band rocks!).:)

jc582 06-03-2002 02:41 PM

Hello, could you email me your version of "El Shaddai"? I was looking for a good version of that song and I would really appreciate it. My email address is: jc582@optonline.net

Michael 08-01-2002 07:58 AM

i just go as i play, or something along thoes lines, i guess i need to do things "the right way!"

georgeo 08-18-2002 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jc582
Hello, could you email me your version of "El Shaddai"? I was looking for a good version of that song and I would really appreciate it. My email address is: jc582@optonline.net
oooh me too!
gimpy_41@yahoo.com

BrokenMinnow17 08-18-2002 10:44 PM

Re: Fingering

Quote:

Originally posted by faintpulse
Hope it makes sense. If you like, I can email you my version of "El Shaddai" showing you my picking pattern while playing the chords. Just send another post with your email. I play alot of soft classical songs like this for church service. I also jam with my wah-wah pedal on other songs (our church band rocks!).:)

Could you also send it to me to? Thanks!!
My email is brandon@consuming-fire.net

†Brandon†

Unregistered 08-19-2002 08:04 PM

Didn't realize they posted it on the CGR.

El Shaddia tab, Amy Grant
http://www.christianguitar.ws/christ....php?song=1694

I have another dozen songs I'll be posting on CGR when I have time. I'll let everyone know when I do by posting a message here.

Let me know if you like it!

Guitarista 07-01-2014 05:47 PM

El shaddai

Can you email me your version of el shaddai? My email address is crystalelainebrazil@rocketmail.com, thanks!

Rock73 06-15-2017 12:02 AM

PIMA is the right way to describe what your right hand is picking (assuming you're right handed). As your left hand is playing a chord, these repititious patterns are great to train your right hand (which alot of guitarists ignore, they only train their left hand). These patterns are call Arpeggios, and after a while can become quite tiresome and boring when repeated for a long time.