Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Theology (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f456/)
-   -   The Essentials (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t227699/)

Leboman 08-14-2019 02:30 PM

The Essentials

Given that we all come from a wide variety of Christian backgrounds, I was wondering what (if any) doctrines do you consider 'essential' in order to call yourself a Christian. Is it simply affirming the creeds? Are there things in the creeds you don't feel are essential? Are there things the creeds leave out that you feel should be in there?

This will be an interesting thread. At least, I'm hoping it will be. I am actually going to waive the normal requirements for posting in Theology. I want to hear what people believe even if they don't hold to every single doctrine outlined in the creeds.

I'll start with an easy one.

You have to believe that God exists.

What's next?

Giga Hertz 08-14-2019 03:58 PM

The death and resurrection of Jesus

Leboman 08-14-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giga Hertz (Post 3982227)
The death and resurrection of Jesus

I would definitely second those.

Giga Hertz 08-14-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leboman (Post 3982230)
I would definitely second those.

Our entire faith is useless if that isn't true. If you don't believe Jesus is the son of God, then it invalidates every single thing he claims. If he didn't die, then the Law hasn't been fulfilled, and if he didn't come back then he didn't defeat sin and death.

Leboman 08-15-2019 07:00 AM

Jesus is God.

Dr. Thrunk 08-15-2019 10:12 AM

Def Jesus' divinity and the resurrection.

Leboman 08-19-2019 10:37 AM

Looks like the Official CGR Creed might be short.

:D

What about the Triune nature of God?

Homer Simpson 08-19-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leboman
I was wondering what (if any) doctrines do you consider 'essential' in order to call yourself a Christian

The Creeds, pretty much. If you deny anything in the Nicene Creed, you aren't a Christian. Deny any particular statement in the Nicene Creed and you have major problems making the Christian faith coherent in any historically orthodox sense.

I don't see the need for this thread.

Dr. Thrunk 08-19-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homer Simpson (Post 3982307)
If you deny anything in the Nicene Creed, you aren't a Christian. I don't see the need for this thread.

Lol, that's a good point.

It also reminds me of the absurdity of some 20th century Baptists getting huffy about being forced to affirm the creeds.

Leboman 08-19-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homer Simpson (Post 3982307)
The Creeds, pretty much. If you deny anything in the Nicene Creed, you aren't a Christian. Deny any particular statement in the Nicene Creed and you have major problems making the Christian faith coherent in any historically orthodox sense.

I don't see the need for this thread.

Some Christians hold some things as essential and others don't. I hardly see the problem in talking through those things.

I know people who say that speaking in tongues is evidence of the Holy Spirit. I know people who insist that certain eschatological views are necessary. I know some Calvinists who act as if all non-Calvinists are apostate. There are those who have a more literal interpretation of the Bible. We're not trying to rewrite what it means to be a Christian.

Surely a little dialogue is healthy. If you feel this thread is unnecessary then by all means, ignore it. No one has to post if he/she doesn't wish to.

Homer Simpson 08-19-2019 03:51 PM

Yeah, I suppose that's fair from a certain perspective.

Leboman 08-19-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homer Simpson (Post 3982316)
Yeah, I suppose that's fair from a certain perspective.

In the past I have been accused by certain Pentecostals that I didn't have the Holy Spirit. I have been accused by certain Roman Catholics of not being in the true Church. I have been called a heretic by some because I am not Reformed.

I think the overwhelming majority of us hold to the tenets found in the Creeds. I agree that they are a pretty good indication of whether or not one is truly Christian. I do know that some have added some really oddball stuff in there as well.

Honestly, I'm just trying to get some conversation...ANY conversation going up here.