Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Worship Leading (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f10/)
-   -   Backing tracks...discuss... (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t226160/)

dlotto11 10-17-2017 03:12 PM

Backing tracks...discuss...

Is it just me or are backing tracks piped in an insult to musicians? Maybe I'm old school, and have been told that, but if a stage full of seasoned musicians can't adequately fill the frequencies, than why even show up. Isn't it easier to take day off and let them do a Worship set of youtube videos?

Dr. Thrunk 10-17-2017 05:28 PM

I can understand it if you have very few musicians available.

But, other than that I definitely see how it could be insulting.

I mean, there have been several times recently where my church band has been missing a bassist and guitarist. We only had a keyboard player (who was also singing), a drummer, and a second singer and worship was still great.

Plus, backing tracks really take away from any organic, impromptu possibilities. Pauses for the leader to say something while the music still plays, breaks with accapello (sp?), etc

Tony 10-17-2017 09:15 PM

Our team uses them occasionally. I'm not a big fan, but I'm not in charge, either. I'm trying to get used to the click tracks as well. And in ear monitors. Some band members love all of it; others like me submit to leadership.

Leboman 10-18-2017 04:35 AM

We have one piano player. If she isn't there we either sing a capella or use tracks. We have no other choice.

As far as showing up goes, if you're only there for the music you might as well stay at home anyway.

Rainer. 10-18-2017 08:33 PM

Our worship pastor loves tracks. I can go either way - not my decision. But I definitely don't like it when there are tracks in the mix with my same instrument.

Tracks are just a tool though. All tools can be used poorly.

thesteve 10-20-2017 03:39 PM

I'd be open to using pad tracks. We've messed around with them before and they seemed to fill things out nicely.

Dr. Thrunk 10-20-2017 04:29 PM

Ignorant dude here.

What's a pad track?

Dwight Schrute 10-21-2017 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk
Ignorant dude here. What's a pad track?

It's a Thai dish with noodles and peanuts! Oh wait, that's Pad Thai... my bad...

Leboman 10-21-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk (Post 3963104)
Ignorant dude here.

What's a pad track?

You know that dude in Linkin Park that was supposed to be a DJ but was usually playing around with that electronic gadget?

:D

darfaz 10-22-2017 02:45 PM

I've mentioned my dislike for tracks previously. I have also made the comparison to youtube worship. Like, if you want that particular sound badly enough, just put the video up on the screen and we can all sing along. I play acoustic guitar, and sometimes our previous worship leader would forget to to take out the acoustic guitar track. I was literally just on the stage for show.

Leboman 10-22-2017 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darfaz (Post 3963171)
I've mentioned my dislike for tracks previously. I have also made the comparison to youtube worship. Like, if you want that particular sound badly enough, just put the video up on the screen and we can all sing along. I play acoustic guitar, and sometimes our previous worship leader would forget to to take out the acoustic guitar track. I was literally just on the stage for show.

We do this not because we "want that particular sound badly" but because I am the only musician in the congregation other than a pianist and organist. We'd love to put together a praise team but we do not have the musicians. The same thing goes on the very few times we have to use the CDs to sing along to.

thesteve 10-23-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk (Post 3963104)
Ignorant dude here.

What's a pad track?

it's a synth sound that's typically just a single chord that lays underneath the rest of the band and just makes everything (typically) sound fuller. If you have an actual synth player or play to a click, it contain different chords (to move with the progression or change for specific sections)

Toast 10-31-2017 11:10 PM

I always got a weird feeling when backing tracks were used in church. To echo others, it seemed to remove any organic nature of the music in lieu of professionalism. If the point of music in church is corporate worship, then it should consist of people, not tracks (IMO). The focus should be on the Object of worship, not on the method of expression. That's just my opinion, though.

On the flip side... in a non-church band setting, backing tracks can be a sweet way to raise your showmanship to the next level. As long as your band practices to a click regularly and doesn't miss a beat, people aren't super likely to notice (or care if they do notice).

Like Jon said, tracks are a tool, and any tool can be used properly (or wrong).

darfaz 12-23-2019 09:17 AM

I'm posting again about backing tracks, principally because we started to use them again after a few year hiatus. So I think my main problem with them has changed somewhat. I still can't stand tracks, but my new gripe is that they require precision that most praise bands musicians don't have, especially drummers. There have been very few drummers that I have played with over the years that can keep time with the tracks. They invariably mess up the timing during fills, and once you're off of the track, it's a train wreck.