Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Recording & Live Sound (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f293/)
-   -   Basic and budget friendly interface ? (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t222613/)

Raf702 08-07-2017 08:59 PM

Basic and budget friendly interface ?

Hey all, so I would like to record cover songs at home. This would be my very first recording setup. I've been looking at the Focusrite 2i2(gen-2) and the UR22 MKII, since they both can be had for roughly $150 and much less pre-owned.

I don't care for midi devices/attachments, since I'd only be recording with a basic setup of my acoustic guitar with a Fishman pickup, and vocal mic(Shure SM58).

I'd like to upload them to YouTube or Facebook to share with everyone.

Which one has a better preamp, for better sound quality? User friendly? And Windows 10 friendly? Since I use both a laptop/desktop Windows pc. I've read lots of mixed reviews for both. Would like to get opinions of those who have experience with both or either one.

Thanks!
Ralf

Frank1234 08-08-2017 12:04 AM

I've used someone else's Focusrite 2i2 and they're great.

But for myself I recently bought the Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD and it works just fine too. MIDAS preamps, 192khz recording (although my brother says that's already overkill).

Raf702 08-08-2017 11:01 AM

I appreciate the info, how well does it work for you? Are you on a Windows or Mac platform? Thanks

The UMC204HD is a lot cheaper in cost. Hopefully it's not a compromise in quality due to its lower price.

thesteve 08-08-2017 11:47 AM

We use the UR22 at church into Garageband, but just for recording sermons. All I can really say about it is that it works for that purpose.

Raf702 08-08-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3951594)
We use the UR22 at church into Garageband, but just for recording sermons. All I can really say about it is that it works for that purpose.

Sounds good, I just wonder how well it performs with singing vocals and acoustic guitar. I'm not a recording artist by any degree, just want something I can share online.

Frank1234 08-08-2017 05:54 PM

I'm no audiophile, but the quality seems fine to me.

I use it with Mac, I can ask my brother to try it out with Windows a bit later today.

Raf702 08-08-2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank1234 (Post 3951618)
I'm no audiophile, but the quality seems fine to me.

I use it with Mac, I can ask my brother to try it out with Windows a bit later today.

That would be great, please let me know when you can. Thanks!

Frank1234 08-24-2017 10:43 AM

Hey.....sorry, finally got my own Windows desktop set up.

It seems to work just fine with Windows 7, although this desktop is *really* old, so it's hard to find a good balance between low latency and not getting any clicking sounds. But that's because this is a really old Core2Duo.

Windows 10 should work even better. In general Windows 10 is much better at finding drivers, and Microsoft claims to have made improvements in the audio stack for Pro Audio. This desktop can't run Windows 10 though, so I can't give you my personal experience with this interface + Windows 10.

Frank1234 09-04-2017 05:39 PM

I have a new desktop now, and I can confirm that it works great after you install the driver from the Behringer website. Running Windows 10, using Bitwig 8-Track, and I even have latency set to 3ms!