Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Christian Music (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f8/)
-   -   Southern Gospel (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t218068/)

Ehud_ 03-20-2017 01:42 PM

Southern Gospel
 
Any southern gospel player/fans here?

I don't listen to most of the new stuff much, but I'm a huge Hinsons fan! (The original Hinsons that is).

Leboman 03-21-2017 07:08 AM

I grew up listening to a lot of local gospel groups. I still have a soft spot for it but it's not my first choice.

Dr. Thrunk 03-21-2017 11:53 AM

I grew up with Southern Gospel in the churches I attended (in the East Texas area), so I'm familiar with the style and many songs.

It isn't my go-to, but there is nostalgia attached to it. There really was not much better than when the old guys in church would get out their guitars on those 5th Sunday Singings.

Also, coincidentally, my dad met one of the older members from the Gaither Vocal Band in Belize while doing missionary work

Ehud_ 03-24-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leboman (Post 3940310)
I grew up listening to a lot of local gospel groups. I still have a soft spot for it but it's not my first choice.

I guess everyone has their favorite style. We still do a lot of traditional hymns at our church. That and Southern Gospel pretty well is the sound at our church. My wife plays some CCM though, just not a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk (Post 3940333)
I grew up with Southern Gospel in the churches I attended (in the East Texas area), so I'm familiar with the style and many songs.

It isn't my go-to, but there is nostalgia attached to it. There really was not much better than when the old guys in church would get out their guitars on those 5th Sunday Singings.

Also, coincidentally, my dad met one of the older members from the Gaither Vocal Band in Belize while doing missionary work

One of my sons is a Mark Lowry nut! I'm sure your talking about one of the older members, but Mark Lowry is the first thing to come to mind. He's hilarious!

Leboman 03-25-2017 08:11 AM

Our congregation does mostly hymns but we do two "newer" songs every week as well. We use videos for those since I'm really the only musician outside of pianists and organists.

Ehud_ 03-26-2017 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leboman (Post 3940635)
Our congregation does mostly hymns but we do two "newer" songs every week as well. We use videos for those since I'm really the only musician outside of pianists and organists.

That's what I'm slowly trying to move back toward. We came out of a church that uses the repetitive praise song, the repetitive praise song, the repetitive praise song! :rofl:

Granted David said make a joyful noise, but some of that stuff is a bit much. But, that is just my opinion.

Leboman 03-26-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ehud_ (Post 3940680)
That's what I'm slowly trying to move back toward. We came out of a church that uses the repetitive praise song, the repetitive praise song, the repetitive praise song! :rofl:

Granted David said make a joyful noise, but some of that stuff is a bit much. But, that is just my opinion.

The problem of needless repetition isn't solely a problem of modern praise music.

:goodnope:

Homer Simpson 03-27-2017 06:44 AM

Repetition in praise choruses used to really annoy me until I realized that there was exactly the same kind of repetition in Orthodox hymnography that's over a thousand years old if not longer. There's a hymn we sing on some special occasions that's basically a hymn celebrating God's being with His people through the ages, loosely based on Isaiah 8 and 9, and after every statement it repeats the phrase, "for God is with us!".

But I've seen some really ill-chosen phrases for repitition in praise choruses.

Ehud_ 03-30-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leboman (Post 3940689)
The problem of needless repetition isn't solely a problem of modern praise music.

:goodnope:

This is true, but the modern praise music is where I hear it most often in my personal life. And I'm sure a lot of people love it. It's just not for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsaactheSyrian (Post 3940747)

But I've seen some really ill-chosen phrases for repitition in praise choruses.

Yes, and being Pentecostal our song services seem to be largely full of those praise choruses!

Giga Hertz 03-30-2017 07:03 PM

I don't see what's so wrong with repetitive worship music. We're just trying to tell God "It's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are..."

Leboman 03-31-2017 07:29 AM

My problem with a lot of Southern Gospel (not all of it) is that many songs aren't very deep when it comes to actual theology. The same can be said of many hymns and moderns praise songs as well.

dogfood 03-31-2017 01:18 PM

I'm not even sure what Southern Gospel is

Leboman 03-31-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogfood (Post 3941108)
I'm not even sure what Southern Gospel is

THIS

Ehud_ 03-31-2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leboman (Post 3941088)
My problem with a lot of Southern Gospel (not all of it) is that many songs aren't very deep when it comes to actual theology. The same can be said of many hymns and moderns praise songs as well.

I agree. To be honest some of the deepest lyrics I've ever heard where from Petra (yes, I'm a closet Petra fan! Sometimes I just need to hear that 80's guitar!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giga Hertz (Post 3941057)
I don't see what's so wrong with repetitive worship music. We're just trying to tell God "It's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are..."

:lol: Exactly! (Sleep deprivation, I laughed entirely too hard over that!)

Leboman 04-01-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ehud_ (Post 3941137)
I agree. To be honest some of the deepest lyrics I've ever heard where from Petra (yes, I'm a closet Petra fan! Sometimes I just need to hear that 80's guitar!)

Bob Hartman studied to be a minister. You can tell it in his lyrics. I'm not a closet Petra fan. They are one of my favorite bands of all time. I was actually listening to a bunch of their stuff yesterday.

More Power To Ya is one of the best Christian albums ever produced.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 AM.



vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2