Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Theology (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f456/)
-   -   Jesus' Wife Fragment (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t213895/)

Dr. Thrunk 06-17-2016 05:27 AM

Jesus' Wife Fragment

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...s-wife/485573/

Some of you already saw this from my sharing it on other social media. Still, interesting read. Quite a ride!

Leboman 06-17-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk (Post 3920023)
Did Jesus Have a Wife? - The Atlantic

Some of you already saw this from my sharing it on other social media. Still, interesting read. Quite a ride!

I have been following it but not closely.

Definitely interesting.

BillSPrestonEsq 06-17-2016 12:25 PM

I'd say that's beyond sketchy.

What always fascinated me about this is that in 1st century rabbinic Judaism Jesus would have been expected to be married. His singleness would not have culturally played in his favor. The concept of celibacy just doesn't seem to be that celebrated in the 1st century as rabbis were expected to be married. So some conspiracy that Jesus was secretly married seems silly, simply because it would have been viewed at the time as a positive. It seems without the loading of the 4th century RCC, this isn't an issue.

Also, I thought that fragment having a direct quote of an error in grammar from a gospel of Thomas fragment and a section of text you could overlay had shown pretty conclusively that it was a doctored fragment of the gospel of Thomas.

Homer Simpson 06-17-2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3920052)
It seems without the loading of the 4th century RCC, this isn't an issue.

Are you referring to the Councils of Elvira and Carthage?

The Roman Catholic Church didn't exist at that time ;)

BillSPrestonEsq 06-17-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IsaactheSyrian (Post 3920054)
Are you referring to the Councils of Elvira and Carthage?

The Roman Catholic Church didn't exist at that time ;)

Well, before the great schism, wasn't it the Bishops in the West primarily advocating for celibacy? As I understand it, while the great schism had not occurred yet, the issue was one being decreed more from Rome, from a simplified view. (I could be wrong on this point.) I also attribute it toward Rome in general, based on the reading I have done a few years back. I could have misspoke slightly, but the point stands.

But yeah, prior to the fourth century in general, there was no reason whatsoever to claim Jesus wasn't married except simple fact. My point was more specifically in first century rabbinic Judaism, being an unmarried Rabbi would be weird. There was not something to be ashamed of with a married rabbi, thus, no reason to hide it.

Perhaps a more accurate way to put it would be prior to the 4th century and subsequent teaching of the RCC in centuries that followed, which was actually more of how I was thinking.

athanatos 06-23-2016 11:39 AM

Sabar's work here is excellent. I loved the thoroughness, the hunch-following, and the exposť on the inconsistencies that abounded. Lots of traveling too, which I thought was fun.

Ridley's Own 06-30-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athanatos (Post 3920242)
Sabar's work here is excellent. I loved the thoroughness, the hunch-following, and the exposť on the inconsistencies that abounded. Lots of traveling too, which I thought was fun.

With the right casting, this could be a great Coen Bros. caper.

Dr. Thrunk 06-30-2016 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridley's Own (Post 3920538)

With the right casting, this could be a great Coen Bros. caper.

Yes!

That would be phenomenal.

Or. We could have the producer's of those amazing Christian films like Fireproof do it! It could be like God's Not Dead!

Ridley's Own 07-11-2016 09:28 AM

God's Not Married, starring Kevin Sorbo as Ariel Sabar, Kathy Najimy as Karen King, Rob Reiner as Hans-Ulrich Laukamp, Christoph Walz as Peter Munro, Jimmy Smits as The Mysterious Forger and the late Orson Welles as the late Dom Deluise as His Excellancy Thomas, Cardinal Wolsey, Archbishop of York.

Ted Logan 09-23-2016 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridley's Own (Post 3921003)
God's Not Married, starring Kevin Sorbo as Ariel Sabar, Kathy Najimy as Karen King, Rob Reiner as Hans-Ulrich Laukamp, Christoph Walz as Peter Munro, Jimmy Smits as The Mysterious Forger and the late Orson Welles as the late Dom Deluise as His Excellancy Thomas, Cardinal Wolsey, Archbishop of York.

Unprecedented levels of awful. Just missing Nicolas Cage, Kirk Cameron, and that Baldwin brother that became a Christian.

Homer Simpson 09-25-2016 09:19 AM

This thread just took a turn for the hilarious.

dogfood 10-23-2016 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Unprecedented levels of awful. Just missing Nicolas Cage, Kirk Cameron, and that Baldwin brother that became a Christian.

I assume you have watched it???

sent from Fiji by coconut mail.