Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Christian Music (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f8/)
-   -   Even When It Hurts (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t213837/)

Bryan J Emerson 06-03-2016 11:58 AM

Even When It Hurts

So I just heard this song for the first time: Even When It Hurts by Hillsong

I had to do a double take and look up the lyrics when I heard

Quote:

Even when the fight seems lost
I'll praise You
Even when it hurts like hell
I'll praise You
Even when it makes no sense to sing
Louder then I'll sing Your praise
Is that appropriate?!? A curse word in a worship song (from an extremely reputable ministry)!

Maybe they are considering it to mean the literal hell and saw nothing wrong with it, but the connotation for the line "hurts like hell" is not worshipful but is highly disrespectful. I am very surprised to see this released by Hillsong.

Leboman 06-03-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan J Emerson (Post 3919318)
So I just heard this song for the first time: Even When It Hurts by Hillsong

I had to do a double take and look up the lyrics when I heard

Is that appropriate?!? A curse word in a worship song (from an extremely reputable ministry)!

Maybe they are considering it to mean the literal hell and saw nothing wrong with it, but the connotation for the line "hurts like hell" is not worshipful but is highly disrespectful. I am very surprised to see this released by Hillsong.

I wouldn't consider that a "curse" word so I have no problem with the lyric. It's actually a better lyric than a lot of the stuff they've put out.

Bryan J Emerson 06-03-2016 12:21 PM

So I found this blog post: Even When it Hurts | Collected

As well as this blog post: When It Hurts Like Hell (I'll Praise You) - HAPPY SONSHIP

They (Hillsong) are acknowledging that people are going to take this line as a curse, and their response is, "If you don't like our song, don't sing it"

That second like is from a Christian who has been struggling with cursing, wants to repent of it, but now feels vindicated because there is a curse word in a worship song.

thesteve 06-03-2016 03:24 PM

To each his own. When this song came out I saw a lot of big reactions in both ways. For some, it was a trite use of a crass word. For others it was a way to identify pain so great that no other descriptor would suffice.

Leboman 06-03-2016 04:06 PM

It's still a better line than "when heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss" or any of its watered down variations.

Seeing as I am one of those who do not take it as a curse word I'll go along with them and say, "Hey, if you don't like it...don't sing it."

And if you actually read what that post says, that isn't a specific response to that song. It's a general response to any of their songs that people don't like.

There are tons of so-called worship songs out there with really bad theology or no theology at all. At least this lyric (whether one thinks it is appropriate or not) is speaking biblical truth.

Paul used at least one word that most of us would consider VERY inappropriate in one of his letters.

dogfood 06-03-2016 05:42 PM

I use that phrase quite a lot, and the usage of that in a song, doesn't worry me in the slightest. In fact I really like it since I've seen the above post.

The only ones who have pulled me up on using tho, have been Americans. So I'm starting to understand that a bit more..

Leboman 06-03-2016 05:55 PM

I use the expression "hell to pay" in much the same way and I don't feel as if that is using profanity.

I think it comes down to personal opinion on this one. I try to respect differing views even if I don't agree with them.