Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Christian Music (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f8/)
-   -   Why Be A Christian Music Artist? (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t210957/)

funkStrat_97 03-10-2015 01:22 PM

Why Be A Christian Music Artist?

Just a random thought for discussion, but considering that making a living in music (the arts in general) can be tough; why would one want to further limit themselves by focusing on such a niche market?

Leboman 03-10-2015 01:25 PM

I don't know why anyone would want to attempt to making a living playing music of any kind.

spark300c 12-07-2015 02:21 PM

why do you have make money in the first place. answer for some be christian artist is that you do not like the music that out there and want make your own. with the internet their no need to be sign to a label.

jwbrownlula 12-07-2015 03:15 PM

I wish there were more Christians who weren't looking for a way to make money. I heard a girl a few months ago say she wanted to sing worship so she could tour and make tons of money. I want to hear people who's focus is praising God and letting everything else be up to him.

Giga Hertz 12-07-2015 07:22 PM

Isn't it generally easier to get signed to a Christian record label?

Sean 12-07-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkStrat_97 (Post 3870683)
Just a random thought for discussion, but considering that making a living in music (the arts in general) can be tough; why would one want to further limit themselves by focusing on such a niche market?

Niche means that fewer people will be interested in what you're doing, but it also means that the people who interested in you will have an easier time of finding you. In a market where good bands are dime a dozen, having a niche is how you get your foot in the door.

thesteve 12-07-2015 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 3904699)
Niche means that fewer people will be interested in what you're doing, but it also means that the people who interested in you will have an easier time of finding you. In a market where good bands are dime a dozen, having a niche is how you get your foot in the door.

Yep...and some markets are much more forgiving than others. Country seems to be a genre where one or two hits early on locks in your career for the next decade.

funkStrat_97 12-08-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spark300c (Post 3904659)
why do you have make money in the first place. answer for some be christian artist is that you do not like the music that out there and want make your own. with the internet their no need to be sign to a label.

Well you still need to put bread on the table and keep roof over your head. Just to be clear, I am not talking about making it "big-time". But you need to make enough money to live (especially if you have a family to provide for).

Leboman 12-08-2015 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giga Hertz (Post 3904693)
Isn't it generally easier to get signed to a Christian record label?

I don't think so...not at this point. Most Christian labels are owned by larger (secular) labels now.

spark300c 12-09-2015 04:29 AM

Quote:

I don't think so...not at this point. Most Christian labels are owned by larger (secular) labels now.
well that one reason why quality of christian music declined. the big secular label only care about making money and just put out cookie cuter artist.

jwbrownlula 12-09-2015 07:29 AM

Quality declined? I think we're living in a great time for Christian music. The variety is out there, and there's actually some depth.

Toast 12-09-2015 09:26 AM

It's difficult for any band under a label to be able to pay their bills. Record companies have overhead, and anything the band gets after the overhead is taken care of usually goes right back into equipment, food, etc. just to survive on tour. Most of the artists who are actually making good money are on Youtube, actually. It seems there is more money to be found in online audiences than in real-life audiences.

Christian music is not particularly a niche market. CCM is a niche market. "Hillsong" and "Chris Tomlin" styles of music are a niche market. "Worship music" is a niche market. But there are bands out there proclaiming Christ that are certainly getting to wider audiences via alternative styles of music.

Leboman 12-09-2015 11:51 AM

I am a Christian. I am a musician (that's probably debatable). That's the only answer I can think of.

Leboman 12-09-2015 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spark300c (Post 3904840)
well that one reason why quality of christian music declined. the big secular label only care about making money and just put out cookie cuter artist.

I would probably agree that most major label music (regardless of its religious content) is the same.

There are LOTS of musicians (Christian and otherwise) who are making good music. You have to look for it and the sad truth is that many of them cannot make a living doing it.

thesteve 12-09-2015 12:09 PM

AFAIK, Christian record companies have been owned by big name secular labels for a long time, including the period that most consider the peak of the industry (mid/late 90s).