Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Worship Leading (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f10/)
-   -   How many words should be on the screen? (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t210305/)

TimIngham 12-02-2014 03:46 AM

How many words should be on the screen?
 
I'm guessing that when you lead worship, there's usually a projector and screen with song words.

How many words are on the screen, and why?





Does your church use
such a giant font that the
songs are all cut up into
tiny bits that don't flow






nicely into lines?





Perhaps I'm unusual:
I like to see a whole verse of a song at once.
It should be laid out into proper lines that make sense
so I can feel the shape of the music
and get a feeling for where we're going







but the
modern style






seems to be
towards using






even fewer words
on each screen?





What do you think about it?

Giuseppe 12-02-2014 04:57 AM

I've actually haven't given this much thought, because I'm usually on the scene. In my parents church they use the "whole verse" thing. They also have one slide with the title at the beginning.

I remember in one city were I lived they usually had 1 or 2 lines max..

Personally I have no preference, as long as I get the lyrics in some way :)

Dr. Thrunk 12-02-2014 05:40 AM

I prefer the whole verse if it can fit, mostly because the person operating almost always is going to be slow about changing slides (or, perhaps the slowness is due to the computer...).

Reuben 12-02-2014 06:07 AM

Another vote for complete verses, or at least complete thoughts wait, do modern worship songs have complete thoughts? ;)

Also, lines broken where they make sense with the flow of the song.

For example:

Oh sacred head now wounded,
With grief and shame weighed down


Not:

Oh sacred head now wounded, with
grief and shame weighed down


It's a personal pet peeve of mine when lines break in places on the slide where the song is not musically breaking.

Tony 12-02-2014 08:32 AM

I concur with Taylor and Reuben. Put as much up as will reasonably and naturally fit.

When there are only a few words at a time, I tend to not think in whole sentences as I sing. So I'm just blurting out syllables instead of thoughts.

thesteve 12-02-2014 09:43 AM

Unless it's just the length of the section, I don't like having less than four lines on a slide.

That being said, I tend to cut verses in half if they're 8 line verses.

S.B.Nichols 12-02-2014 09:48 AM

4 to 5 lines is my preference. Too many lines and some of the audience will get lost. Too few and it sort of looks empty.

bravesfan007 12-02-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3859868)
Unless it's just the length of the section, I don't like having less than four lines on a slide.

That being said, I tend to cut verses in half if they're 8 line verses.

Bingo. This is my thoughts as well. I'll also throw in:

Line of words (4x)

Or leave off the 4x. It just depends.

Leboman 12-02-2014 12:38 PM

In order to keep it at a readable font...I think four lines is plenty.

Giga Hertz 12-02-2014 02:49 PM

We use a whole verse at a time (unless they're particularly long).

bravesfan007 12-02-2014 02:50 PM

Now that I think about it, wouldn't it really depend upon the size of display you are using? I mean, you legibly could fit more words on a large projection screen than you could a 50" LCD TV.

Giga Hertz 12-02-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravesfan007 (Post 3859937)
Now that I think about it, wouldn't it really depend upon the size of display you are using? I mean, you legibly could fit more words on a large projection screen than you could a 50" LCD TV.

Pretty much. At the same time you also have to factor in "how much is too much" (for people to actually take in) and distance from the screen.

bravesfan007 12-02-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giga Hertz (Post 3859939)
Pretty much. At the same time you also have to factor in "how much is too much" (for people to actually take in) and distance from the screen.

I still stand by my earlier comment. We use four. I would think the most you could get by with would be six.

dogfood 12-02-2014 02:56 PM

4 lines max

in saying this, you do get used to whatever you stick up.

but please don't put those idiotic pictures behind the words

Giga Hertz 12-02-2014 02:57 PM

I think we have up to 8, but some of the lines are only two or three words in those instances.

bravesfan007 12-02-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogfood (Post 3859943)
but please don't put those idiotic pictures behind the words

Or, hard to read fonts. I attended a church that would use those pictures and if they were yellowish or similar, they would try to use red letters over them. It killed my eyes.

We typically try to use a straight black background with white, bold letters.

Giga Hertz 12-02-2014 03:01 PM

We have photos, but there are only like one or two songs where the wrong font colour's been used.

Tony 12-02-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bravesfan007 (Post 3859937)
Now that I think about it, wouldn't it really depend upon the size of display you are using? I mean, you legibly could fit more words on a large projection screen than you could a 50" LCD TV.

Agreed. Despite font size, how large is your projection screen? Can the words be read easily from the back of the room?

Guy Kawasaki has a guideline of setting font size at half the age of the oldest person in the room.

dogfood 12-02-2014 03:03 PM

we use two screens. one either side of the stage. not that we are a huge church. we seat about 250 I think.

Tony 12-02-2014 03:04 PM

And I'm personally not a fan of images, and especially moving backgrounds. Large white letters on a black background for me. But that's just my ADD talking.

Leboman 12-02-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony (Post 3859956)
And I'm personally not a fan of images, and especially moving backgrounds. Large white letters on a black background for me. But that's just my ADD talking.

I like lavender backgrounds with swirling clouds and Comic Sans 18 pt.

dogfood 12-02-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. RM (Post 3859969)

I like lavender backgrounds with swirling clouds and Comic Sans 18 pt.

You sir need prayer

Sent from my GT-S7275R using CGR Forum

TimIngham 12-03-2014 02:57 AM

"Those idiotic pictures" - that's a whole nother can of worms!

I had written a new song presentation system - it's barely out of nappies, and my daughter said, "it needs to support moving backgrounds - not because that's really a good idea, but because people do seem to want it!"

'Motion backgrounds' are very common, but what's that about really?

dogfood 12-03-2014 03:38 AM

I dunno, as soon as I learn a song or mostly know it, I close my eyes and worship.

I disagree about the moving pictures. the churches that do seem to have them are churches that seem flaky. lol.

Giga Hertz 12-03-2014 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogfood (Post 3860047)
I disagree about the moving pictures. the churches that do seem to have them are churches that seem flaky. lol.

I know one Church in town has them. Having served (or tried to) in their youth group for about two years I can vouch for their flakiness.

Reuben 12-03-2014 05:24 AM

My favorite background is the live broadcast of the worship team, facilitated by the worship camera crew on stage. It's not distracting at all.

thesteve 12-03-2014 09:45 AM

I have no idea what my moving backgrounds feel like, because my back is turned to the screen.

Tony 12-03-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3860073)
I have no idea what my moving backgrounds feel like, because my back is turned to the screen.

We have a monitor in the back of the room for the worship team to see the lyrics. Black background with white letters. My question is, why don't they want to see the moving backgrounds like the rest of us in the seats? And for every reason they might give me, I would argue for the same experience for those facing the stage.

dogfood 12-03-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giga Hertz (Post 3860048)

I know one Church in town has them. Having served (or tried to) in their youth group for about two years I can vouch for their flakiness.

Fist pump

Sent from my GT-S7275R using CGR Forum

Frank1234 12-03-2014 03:05 PM

We use moving backgrounds in our youth room and they actually look pretty good against our stage lighting :S

I could upload a video tonight. Edit: Eh, forgot. We have Christmas lights everywhere and aren't using the stage lighting :P Get back to me in 2 months.

Main church we have a video team and since our equipment only supports one output, we're forced to show the video with a single line of words on the projectors. But we rarely have a worship team...mostly just "everybody sings with the choir".

TimIngham 12-04-2014 02:46 AM

It's a pity this forum doesn't have a 'like' button as Facebook does. I just want to say 'Amen to this':

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony (Post 3860080)
We have a monitor in the back of the room for the worship team to see the lyrics. Black background with white letters. My question is, why don't they want to see the moving backgrounds like the rest of us in the seats? And for every reason they might give me, I would argue for the same experience for those facing the stage.


taiko 12-04-2014 07:59 AM

I would put up a phrase at a time and move to the next phrase just before the praise leaders singing did. I normally had a good ideal when my worship leaders would break the song form and improvise because I sat in on all rehearsals and put down my guitar for a while to prepared the slides. I was not the type who sat at the computer a minute before the service and asked what was the setlist. With the newer software, of 8 years ago it got easier and easier to do.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:18 AM.



vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2