Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Bass (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f223/)
-   -   Anybody familiar with LTD B-204SM Fretless basses? (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t204178/)

zedman 06-01-2013 10:52 PM

Anybody familiar with LTD B-204SM Fretless basses?

I tried one the other day--nice bass-- a bit different feel, and I'm not quite sure if I liked it as much as the J Basses I've tried--but it had a better neck than the Squier fretless basses I've tried, and it's much better priced than the MIM Fender fretless J-Basses I've tried.

I'm considering this one--but anybody have any experience with them?
Typically LTD & ESP seem to be more favored among certain types of metal players--and I'd be more bluesy--but anybody have any experiences with them--good or bad?

If this one sticks around and I don't see any used MIM J-Basses around I may just get it...

Thanks.

Bassman1185 06-02-2013 06:40 AM

I haven't tried that one, but LTD basses are generally good for the money. In my opinion, though, the 1 and 2 series with the proprietary LTD pickups and electronics are pretty "blah" sounding. Not bad, just generic and kind of boring. Serviceable, but not inspiring. Construction is generally solid, though, so it might be a worthwhile project bass if you're interested in swapping out pickups and/or electronics.

zedman 06-02-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassman1185 (Post 3795853)
I haven't tried that one, but LTD basses are generally good for the money. In my opinion, though, the 1 and 2 series with the proprietary LTD pickups and electronics are pretty "blah" sounding. Not bad, just generic and kind of boring. Serviceable, but not inspiring. Construction is generally solid, though, so it might be a worthwhile project bass if you're interested in swapping out pickups and/or electronics.

Thanks for the input.
I liked the sound, but I want to try it again on an amp more similar to mine.
I have no problem swapping out pickups--but I feel no compulsion to do so.

I have considered doing it on my current bass (an EB-3 copy) I like the sound--but it's a weak signal.

Bassman1185 06-03-2013 08:40 PM

Off of the original topic, if all you really need from your EB-3 clone is more output, there are a number of clean booster pedals that would work well, as well as a few preamp/boosters that will fit right in the control cavity to bring the gain up to where you want.

Back on the issue of the B-204, since the pickups are proprietary "LTD" branded soapbars, there may not be an exact drop-in replacement. Keep that in mind if you are looking to buy the bass with the intention of swapping the pickups.

zedman 06-06-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassman1185 (Post 3796133)
Off of the original topic, if all you really need from your EB-3 clone is more output, there are a number of clean booster pedals that would work well, as well as a few preamp/boosters that will fit right in the control cavity to bring the gain up to where you want.

Back on the issue of the B-204, since the pickups are proprietary "LTD" branded soapbars, there may not be an exact drop-in replacement. Keep that in mind if you are looking to buy the bass with the intention of swapping the pickups.

Thanks for the input.

I have considered pickup swaps and booster pedals for my EB-3 copy--however that is not why I'm considering the LTD bass--I'm considering that because it's a fretless bass, and I would like one in addition to the fretted one.

I will keep your comments about the pickups in mind.