Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Vocals & Other Instruments (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f471/)
-   -   No head voice/falsetto!! (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t200218/)

LazyBear 09-24-2012 06:45 PM

No head voice/falsetto!!

Hi 1st post here and its a big one.

I've been desperately looking for ways to sing high or even make high pitched sounds. When i was young i was able to make high pitched sounds & noises but then one day it just went away, poof gone. Im now 28 and I simply just gave up trying.

I sing and play guitar in a folk band and its very frustrating because i end up having to sing the low melodies in the harmonies and sometimes even thats hard for me and i have to strain to get up there and we all know how much that can hurt after a while. Plus it doesn't sound pleasant. And the worst part? i can HEAR all these beautiful high notes in my head when im composing but cannot produce them!!! No matter what i do i cant seem to make high pitched sounds or flip into a falsetto even. Cant go WOOHOO or YEEEEEHAAWWW none of that. Can't even speak in a mickey mouse voice :(

I heard about some people blowing out air when they would try to hit high notes or "flip" into falsetto. Thats exactly my problem. I own the Bret Manning disc series and I've been doing the exercises but everytime i try to go past my chest range or to flip into a falsetto only air comes out and nothing more. All the technique videos, tutorials and articles only address the "finding your head voice" topic or closing the "gap" on the break between the head voice/falsetto or the difference between the two but nobody seems to have my problem! Am I the only one?!?!

I read somewhere that people who got used to singing with your throat muscles/straining the larynx may have extremely weak back throat muscles and are not able to "zip" up the vocal cords to make high pitch sounds, how much of this is true?

Is is possible that some people are just anatomically incapable of producing high pitched sounds?

Should I just give up and work with the limited range i can produce with my chest voice?

Thanks in advance for ANY answers!

LC7rock 09-24-2012 07:27 PM

Okay here's my questions.
1. Do you feel a lot of pressure in your throat?
2. What voice type are you? (Bass, Tenor, Alto, Soprano)
3. Where is the highest point in your range?
4. What Brett Manning program is it your using?
5. How long have you been using it?

The best two exercises I'd do for that is the lip rolls and the low larynx "ma's" (The Patrick Star sound just going higher). The higher you go the more you need to train yourself to drop the larynx to keep too much pressure from building up. I'm guessing it seems like you are having trouble with a rising larynx, because it can impede you from going higher because it closes off airflow and creates pressure in the throat. I've used the Singing Success and Mastering Mix programs since March this year, so I'm familiar with the training your using and I can help if I know some more details.

Don't give up on your voice, because you are most likely capable of being able to hit those notes. It's just some co-ordinations you haven't done in a while and you've forgotten how to make them. Keeping a low larynx is key to a good head voice and you just need to undo some bad habits that we all pick up.

beanbag 09-24-2012 08:00 PM

have you thought about taking a voice class at a local community college or from a voice teacher? the reality is that you can sit and read all day long, but you really need a voice teacher to troubleshoot what underlying issue(s) your voice has.

you said no mickey mouse voice, but what about trying to imitate opera? any luck?

Ax 09-24-2012 08:57 PM

It's going to be hard to troubleshoot that one over the internet, at least not without some decent video chat equipment.

thooty73 09-25-2012 05:18 AM

I am interested in a previous question. What voice type do you have? Most all of the high harmonies you find in folk/bluegrass type music are true tenors. The flipside is, I am a tenor and I would love to be able to hit the lower notes, but I just cant do it. To make matter worse I am 6'2 / 230# & when I sing high tenor harmony, people seemed confused cause its not what they expect. Check out the internet, look up baritone range on a piano, then sit down and see if that range is where you fall in. that sounds like a possibility. If I sing that high harmony an octive lower, it is a the very bottom of my range.

LazyBear 09-27-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC7rock (Post 3754215)
Okay here's my questions.
1. Do you feel a lot of pressure in your throat?
2. What voice type are you? (Bass, Tenor, Alto, Soprano)
3. Where is the highest point in your range?
4. What Brett Manning program is it your using?
5. How long have you been using it?

The best two exercises I'd do for that is the lip rolls and the low larynx "ma's" (The Patrick Star sound just going higher). The higher you go the more you need to train yourself to drop the larynx to keep too much pressure from building up. I'm guessing it seems like you are having trouble with a rising larynx, because it can impede you from going higher because it closes off airflow and creates pressure in the throat. I've used the Singing Success and Mastering Mix programs since March this year, so I'm familiar with the training your using and I can help if I know some more details.

Don't give up on your voice, because you are most likely capable of being able to hit those notes. It's just some co-ordinations you haven't done in a while and you've forgotten how to make them. Keeping a low larynx is key to a good head voice and you just need to undo some bad habits that we all pick up.

1. YES!
2. Bass/baritone not sure but around there.
3. I have to check but probably G above middle C full chest voice (as i said its the only one i got:sadyep:)
4. Ive got the Bret Manning's Singing Success series.
5. Everyday for about 2 weeks.

and thanks for your replies all of you!

martinedwards 09-27-2012 10:50 AM

see a real life voice teacher.

otherwise, get over it.

all God's creatures got a place in the choir.....
some sing lower and some sing higher.....
Makem and Clancy - A Place in the Choir - YouTube