Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Nostalgia (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f455/)
-   -   Going Digital!! (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t199764/)

Bushman 08-20-2012 04:22 PM

Going Digital!!

For sheet music, that is…..

I’m not ready to give up my analog pedals yet, but I have started compiling my digital music collection, and wanted to give a heads up to folks thinking about doing it.

I was wanting to eliminate having a binder with Sunday’s sheet music on a big music stand in front of me, so I got an iPad, and DropBox, OnSong & Turboscan apps along with my iPhone has started to work really good for me.

First I take a song sheet and scan it and save it as a .PDF, send it to my free DropBox account. Then open OnSong on my iPad and import it from my DropBox.

Or, our Church sends out a Planning Center notification, and I save the song .PDF to my DropBox account, and import it to OnSong on my iPad.

Or, like last week, have a Worship Leader bring the only copy of a song he’d like to do, 5 minutes before rehearsal starts, so I use Turboscan on my iPhone and take a picture of the song sheet save it to DropBox as a .PDF and import to OnSong on my iPad. This was very cool! Sombody else’s sheet music to my OnSong Sunday setlist in about a minute!!!
I guess I could’ve taken the picture of the song with my iPad and wouldn’t have to have an iPhone at all….. I think the iPhone has a better camera. Anyway…

So far it's working really well. I'm able to make notations on my digital music, pull songs in and out of my set list, change the order, or whatever. Seems to work on the fly pretty well too.

Next to get a mic stand mount for the iPad, put it off to the side, and get rid of the big music stand in front of me. I am still looking for an iPad mic stand mount that works with my survivor case…

1/2-Fast Player 08-20-2012 06:54 PM

Our worship pastor uses a similar setup. Pretty slick, but I looked at it and I'm afraid my aging eyes would need a much bigger ipad. Do they make an ipad with a 48" screen?

Dwight Schrute 08-20-2012 07:50 PM

I use a similar setup too, music stand for iPad and OnSong. I pull songs in from Rockin Cross (cheap monthly cost) then tweak them. I do not use the PDF from songselect, only because I want the ability to transpose to another key with a few taps. Have been watching the Bluetooth foot pedals, waiting for them to come down in price before I bite. Too much I-hype price gouging right now.

Giga Hertz 08-20-2012 09:35 PM

I re-write my song sheets (including any riffs/runs I may need) and organise it so they fit onto one page. Then I PDF it and put it on my tablet.

It is a lot more convenient and lighter than carrying a whole box of music. That said, paper copies can be more reliable :p

Bushman 08-21-2012 10:37 PM

Yeah, currently I'm just using .pdf's so I can't use the transpose function. I've tried to convert .pdf's to text, but the song gets all jacked up, and it takes awhile to straighten it out.

I saw the Air Turn pedal, looks cool. That would increase page flip reliability. ( which is mostly my clumsy fingers )

jeepnstein 08-23-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1/2-Fast Player (Post 3747752)
Our worship pastor uses a similar setup. Pretty slick, but I looked at it and I'm afraid my aging eyes would need a much bigger ipad. Do they make an ipad with a 48" screen?

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Bushman 08-23-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepnstein (Post 3748426)
Where there's a will, there's a way.

There's a function of OnSong to output song sheets wirelessly to a projector... :)

Mickeyj4j 03-19-2015 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1/2-Fast Player (Post 3747752)

Samaung make the Galaxy Note Pro with a 12.5 inch screen which is pretty cool for sheet music.