Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   What is the most versatile electric guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t194970/)

daddyo 08-31-2011 08:28 PM

1

CheshireCat 08-31-2011 09:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyo (Post 3676454)
Musicians are a fickle flock. The way a guitar looks is every bit as important as the way it plays. I like the Tele because the look of it suits my personality IMO. Even my 12 year old has definate opinions about guitars. He started with a low end Dean Dime but he was shortly disallusioned with it so I bought him a Squier Strat and he bonded with it. On of his friends got a Shecter with a strat type bodt a stop tail piece and humbuckers. Then my son changed his mind again and he asked me for a Epiphone Custom Studio Les Paul. He played it for a while then went right back to his Strat. He now is requesting a MIM HSS Strat with a sunburst and a maple fretboard.

My 15 year old daughter started using the Les Paul in rotation with her MIM Tele. She perfers the Tele but has requested a PRS Santana SE.

On amps me and my daughter like the Fender Pro Jr and my son is a 100 percent a Blackstar fan.

I think guitars and amps are indicaters of the players personality. At least that is the way it is in my house.

Part of me would be interested to know what they thought of the Utah, purely from an aesthetics point of view. :yep: :rofl:

Well, I concur on all those points, tho I think it will be interesting to see what happens when they discover hotrodding. Have any of them requested new pickups?

Also, what's all this crap about "requesting" new guitars? Make them go mow some lawns or something! :lol: They might be more inclined to like what they got . . . unless, of course, it's a way for you to relieve any cases of GAS you might actually have, especially if the Mrs. doesn't approve. "Honey, no, it's not for me . . . it's for the kids! I'm doing it for the kids."

(She ain't buying it, is she? :goodnope:)

I'm gonna have to re-up the pics from before, and see about some new ones.

Incidentally, my daughter is 2, and I'm going to build her what is, in essence, a Hello Kitty Strat with one pickup, but all the other playability features of the Utah. It's gonna be a cross between Hello Kitty and Curious George. We just bought her a pink nappy for preschool (first day was monday), and the kids now require a certain type of nap-mat (state law), so we got her a Hello Kitty style one, except it as a cute female pink monkey on it, kinda like a sock-monkey.

So, iow, a cross between this . . .

http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...1&d=1314847351

. . . and this . . .

http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...1&d=1314847351

Either way, I think that will be cute, and will hold her in good sted until her tastes change. Then I suppose it will be on to a Daisy Rock.

Chesh

daddyo 08-31-2011 09:26 PM

1

CheshireCat 08-31-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyo (Post 3676472)
I have found that in this life your kids are what really matter. The rest is just hard.

Indeed.

Chesh

CheshireCat 09-02-2011 04:51 PM

Here's an idea . . .
 
Why don't we all figure out what the most versatile guitar would look like? (And, no, I'm not hijacking this thread and turning it into a Utah-appreciation-thread.) :rofl:

Seriously, what would the most versatile guitar available look like?

Any ideas? Rainer?

Chesh

BillSPrestonEsq 09-02-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Why don't we all figure out what the most versatile guitar would look like? (And, no, I'm not hijacking this thread and turning it into a Utah-appreciation-thread.) :rofl:

Seriously, what would the most versatile guitar available look like?

Any ideas? Rainer?

Chesh

Perhaps a midi pickup equipped variax with 3 prails, 3 triple shot rings and 3 or 4 outputs for routing the various signals. (midi, magnetic, variax)

Personally, though, I believe you can easily overdue versatility depending on the player. I don't use most of the features said guitar would provide.

Rainer. 09-02-2011 07:22 PM

I'm pretty sure it'll just be a really high quality Variax-like system. There will be a point, not here yet, where digital reproduction/synthesis of a guitar sound will be virtually indistinguishable from the real thing. Add that with hypothetically complete signal processing capability and near-zero latency tracking, and voila.

It's a synthesis of a few things that are currently developing, but most people probably really don't want an uber-programmable guitar, but would rather own multiple instruments. I don't think there would be a big market for it.

CheshireCat 09-05-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer. (Post 3676991)
I'm pretty sure it'll just be a really high quality Variax-like system. There will be a point, not here yet, where digital reproduction/synthesis of a guitar sound will be virtually indistinguishable from the real thing. Add that with hypothetically complete signal processing capability and near-zero latency tracking, and voila.

It's a synthesis of a few things that are currently developing, but most people probably really don't want an uber-programmable guitar, but would rather own multiple instruments. I don't think there would be a big market for it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm . . . interesting.

Of course the purists will cling vehemently to their teles and jazzboxes.

Chesh

gtrdave 09-05-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer. (Post 3676991)
I'm pretty sure it'll just be a really high quality Variax-like system. There will be a point, not here yet, where digital reproduction/synthesis of a guitar sound will be virtually indistinguishable from the real thing.

You'd think that'd be the case, right?
It's my opinion that as long as there is even 1ms of latency and the slightest perception of processing, the real thing will be preferred.
But if we get enough people believing that mp3 audio sounds "good enough", hey, anything is possible... :yep:

Rainer. 09-05-2011 12:19 PM

Well, the question wasn't really what people would necessarily like and use, just what's the most versatile. I think the single most tonally morphable guitar would have digital signal processing, but you're right, people would hate it. :p

It's conceptually most versatile, at least, though. Useful if you're in the performance department. Every pianist would prefer a grand over even the best sounding keyboard out there, but for a lot of gigs, keyboards can be darn useful, instead of dragging out a bunch of grands, B3s, Rhodes, Wurlys, and analog synths.

gtrdave 09-05-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer. (Post 3677479)
Well, the question wasn't really what people would necessarily like and use, just what's the most versatile. I think the single most tonally morphable guitar would have digital signal processing, but you're right, people would hate it. :p

It's conceptually most versatile, at least, though. Useful if you're in the performance department. Every pianist would prefer a grand over even the best sounding keyboard out there, but for a lot of gigs, keyboards can be darn useful, instead of dragging out a bunch of grands, B3s, Rhodes, Wurlys, and analog synths.

Well, a truly versatile guitar would also mop the floor, cure the common cold, have a toilet-to-tap water function and seat 7 passengers as it flies through the air at mach 5+. :yep:
Seriously though, the most versatile guitar currently on the market may well be a Variax, but even it is only as good as the hands and mind of the player who is holding it.

CheshireCat 09-06-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer. (Post 3677479)
Well, the question wasn't really what people would necessarily like and use, just what's the most versatile.

Okay, amendment.

The most versatile guitar that people would actually use.

Chesh

jeepnstein 09-06-2011 10:56 AM

I played one of these a couple of weeks ago. FenderŪ Products

Wow. It could do about anything. The whole system is really pretty simple and effective. If I had to have one guitar that could "do it all" this would be it. The acoustic sound is horrid but that's the only real objection I have to the thing.

CheshireCat 09-06-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepnstein (Post 3677693)
I played one of these a couple of weeks ago. FenderŪ Products

The acoustic sound is horrid but that's the only real objection I have to the thing.

That can be handled with the use of Shadow Electronics's NanoMag pickup, or perhaps any number of other piezo solutions. In fact, you could skip the Roland ready bit altogether and just go with GraphTech's Ghost Pickup System, which would include both the Acoustiphonic system and the MIDI-ready Hexpander System.

Chesh

BillSPrestonEsq 09-06-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 3677794)
That can be handled with the use of Shadow Electronics's NanoMag pickup, or perhaps any number of other piezo solutions. In fact, you could skip the Roland ready bit altogether and just go with GraphTech's Ghost Pickup System, which would include both the Acoustiphonic system and the MIDI-ready Hexpander System.

Chesh

Or put in the LR Baggs Piezo system to increase the quality of the acoustic sound. The hexpander is a lot more expensive, and this way you would get it all with only one replaced component.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 PM.



vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2