Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   What is the most versatile electric guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t194970/)

gtrdave 09-16-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyo (Post 3681022)
I thought for sure you mentioned you play an ESP Stat copy.

The ESP is but one of a bunch of guitars I own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyo (Post 3681022)
I really don't have a beef with Godin.

:rolleyes:

ibanez_dude 09-16-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat

"Neck pup switch"? :confused:

Chesh

Ya, I didn't word that very well, lol. It's a $300 guitar, and then I switched out the neck pup for a P90ish single coil, which gave me great versatility.

daddyo 09-17-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave (Post 3681069)
The ESP is but one of a bunch of guitars I own.

:rolleyes:

You're taking it kind of personaly ain't cha?

CheshireCat 09-17-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibanez_dude (Post 3681092)
Ya, I didn't word that very well, lol. It's a $300 guitar, and then I switched out the neck pup for a P90ish single coil, which gave me great versatility.

Ah.

I thought you were alluding to a "neck-on" switch, which is a common mod for strats, to give you the N+B option, which you normally can't do on a strat.

So, daddyo, tell us again about the guitar that "looks cool, plays like butter and has an awesome grunt," and is "kind of a cross between a Les Paul and a Strat". Again, it looks like a cross between a Les Paul and a Strat or sounds like one?

Chesh

telecasting 09-17-2011 01:58 AM

Daddyo, what about a Godin fat strat? Is it still not right, in which case, is it something about non-big brands? The problem is that the kind of quality you get in terms of build quality and finish to the body, neck and frets on cheap big brand guitars puts them sometimes in the same category as very cheap guitars.

I know a lot if people talk about agile and xavier guitars as having a lot of bang for buck, but it comes back down to their guitars being based on other designs.

The one thing I would take exception to is the idea that a guitar that is US made automatically makes it a higher quality guitar.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2011 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyo (Post 3680908)
I would say vastly different. I feel stupid everytime I pick up a Godin kind of like the feeling I get picking up a First Act.

Better pickups, finish, construction and materials.

personally, I don't like their neck profiles as well as some others. but the simple fact is, objectively they are one of the best made mass produced guitars out there, period. I play a host of types of guitars.

I own a Ric, an MIJ Ibanez, Gibson LP custom, ES-300, Melody maker with P-90, a PRS and quite a few other notably fine guitars. Supposedly, several of my guitars were used on several platinum albums by household name artists. I own an Art & Lutherie, and a seagull acoustic, and have played several godins, honestly, they are absolutely on par with many gibsons and MIA fenders for far less.

And I might add, First Act even makes some mighty nice guitars in their artist custom shop.

daddyo 09-17-2011 03:49 AM

You guys have convinced me. I'm gonna sell all my usless crap and get Godin stuff.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2011 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyo (Post 3681115)
You guys have convinced me. I'm gonna sell all my usless crap and get Godin stuff.

Not the intent. Godin is just a quite solid company.

daddyo 09-17-2011 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telecasting (Post 3681109)
Daddyo, what about a Godin fat strat? Is it still not right, in which case, is it something about non-big brands? The problem is that the kind of quality you get in terms of build quality and finish to the body, neck and frets on cheap big brand guitars puts them sometimes in the same category as very cheap guitars.

I know a lot if people talk about agile and xavier guitars as having a lot of bang for buck, but it comes back down to their guitars being based on other designs.

The one thing I would take exception to is the idea that a guitar that is US made automatically makes it a higher quality guitar.

I don't own MIA gear not even acoustic gear. Most American companies have moved overseas and the parts that remain are way out of my price range of what I am willing to pay. I have owned several MIJ Squier Strat and couldn't tell the difference from the MIA at about a third the price. I think Quality and design are important but to pay triple for something that says Made in USA is foolish. I remember the quality of Fender stuff in the 60's and 70's and I have to say the newer stuff is a lot better. Things like fit and finish have become more perfect and tighter. I wouldn't think of buying vintage but I'm not a collecter. As much as I dislike Fender and Gibson their designs are some thig I have grown acustom to. Shecter, Ibanez, Godin, Dean and ESP are not anything I am used to.

thesteve 09-17-2011 07:59 AM

FWIW, most of daddyo's complaints about Godin are things I feel about PRS at any given time.

S.B.Nichols 09-17-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyo (Post 3681115)

That's not the intent....we're just a bit shocked that someone could be so down on a particular company that we all, almost to a man, feel is one of the better mass producers out there. If I were to say, "I'd rather play a yamaha than a PRS anyday of the week. I'd have to be pretty desperate to play on a PRS," you'd be shocked too.

By all means, have the opinions you want. I have a nearly irrational dislike of Taylor, Breedlove, and Ibanez.

Leboman 09-17-2011 08:14 AM

I've toyed around with a couple of First Act guitars. They play just as good, if not better, than the similarly priced Squiers.

Just saying.

:yep:

thesteve 09-17-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Role Modlin (Post 3681137)
I've toyed around with a couple of First Act guitars. They play just as good, if not better, than the similarly priced Squiers.

Just saying.

Is this an endorsement or a condemnation? :rofl:

Leboman 09-17-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3681139)
Is this an endorsement or a condemnation? :rofl:

Good one.

Honestly...I'd buy $125 First Act before I'd buy a $125 Squier.

First Act makes some custom guitars that top $2000-$3000.

Brad Whitford (Aerosmith) plays one.

daddyo 09-17-2011 10:29 AM

No thanks guys, You go ahead with your First Act and Godin and I'll stick to my Fenders and Epiphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3681135)
FWIW, most of daddyo's complaints about Godin are things I feel about PRS at any given time.

I didn't know that PRS made a bass but go ahead and avoid them if you don't like them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.B.Nichols (Post 3681136)
That's not the intent....we're just a bit shocked that someone could be so down on a particular company that we all, almost to a man, feel is one of the better mass producers out there. If I were to say, "I'd rather play a yamaha than a PRS anyday of the week. I'd have to be pretty desperate to play on a PRS," you'd be shocked too.

By all means, have the opinions you want. I have a nearly irrational dislike of Taylor, Breedlove, and Ibanez.

OK what is the intent?