Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   What is the most versatile electric guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t194970/)

daddyo 09-16-2011 06:44 AM

The only time I had my hands on a SE was the first Santana, '96 or '97. I thought it was cool and played nice and $400 price tag but I went with an acoustic because I thought it would fit better with the worship team. I really liked the SE though. I think you could get a MIM tele for $350 at that time, and a Squier standard for $200.

gtrdave 09-16-2011 08:20 AM

MBftB: Godin LG series.
No other MIA guitar contains so much solid quality for so little price. The only thing that's come close in my experience was the former SUB 1 line from Music Man.

daddyo 09-16-2011 10:54 AM

Personally I'd buy the SE,MIM,Epi and, Squier before even considering a Godin. But hey, that's just me.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-16-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyo
Personally I'd buy the SE,MIM,Epi and, Squier before even considering a Godin. But hey, that's just me.

Why? The Godin is a vastly better guitar.

daddyo 09-16-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3680876)
Why? The Godin is a vastly better guitar.

I would say vastly different. I feel stupid everytime I pick up a Godin kind of like the feeling I get picking up a First Act.

thesteve 09-16-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyo (Post 3680908)
I would say vastly different. I feel stupid everytime I pick up a Godin kind of like the feeling I get picking up a First Act.

Huh...could you be more specific perhaps? I've tried out a handful of Godin's, and while I didn't quite feel like they were for me, I definitely wouldn't compare them to First Act.

gtrdave 09-16-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyo (Post 3680851)

You are right: it is just you. Some people prefer cheap guitars and that's fine for them.
Me, I prefer something a few steps above the ones you mentioned.

daddyo 09-16-2011 06:37 PM

I have been playing for a long time and I'm set in my ways. I would only consider a Les Paul, a Strat, or Tele. Other designs seem like toys to me no matter the price point. Of coarse the PRS is an exception.

If you like Godins that is OK by me and I wouldn't have a problem playing alone side you with your Godin. For me to play your Godin I would have to be desperate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave (Post 3681020)
You are right: it is just you. Some people prefer cheap guitars and that's fine for them.
Me, I prefer something a few steps above the ones you mentioned.

I thought for sure you mentioned you play an ESP Stat copy.

I would buy the higher line if I could afford it but not anything Godin.

thesteve 09-16-2011 06:51 PM

It sounds like your beef with Godin has more to do with image than playability. Would this be an accurate assessment of your position? I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with that, if it's the case. As a bass player I'm really into traditional designs and have really limited tastes (Jazz, P-Deluxe and Stingray). I've played Ibanez basses that were great players that I simply could not bond with aesthetically.

daddyo 09-16-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3681024)
It sounds like your beef with Godin has more to do with image than playability. Would this be an accurate assessment of your position? I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with that, if it's the case. As a bass player I'm really into traditional designs and have really limited tastes (Jazz, P-Deluxe and Stingray). I've played Ibanez basses that were great players that I simply could not bond with aesthetically.

I really don't have a beef with Godin. I am old and hung up on tradition. Ibanez builds a better guitar in my opinion but like you say it has to with the way it looks, reacts and feels. I won't buy anything Ibanez either.

S.B.Nichols 09-16-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyo (Post 3681022)
Of coarse the PRS is an exception.

Why would PRS be the exception?

daddyo 09-16-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.B.Nichols (Post 3681033)
Why would PRS be the exception?

Because to me it is a relativley new design but I have found it acceptable. I started playing guitar in 1968

S.B.Nichols 09-16-2011 07:19 PM

Well, yeah, but what makes it acceptable?

daddyo 09-16-2011 07:21 PM

It looks cool, it plays like butter and has an awesome grunt. Kind of a cross between a Les Paul and a Strat

CheshireCat 09-16-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibanez_dude (Post 3680542)
$300 plus neck pup switch gives me everything from crunchy bright humbucker tone to mellow P90ish tone in the neck

"Neck pup switch"? :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyo (Post 3681037)
It looks cool, it plays like butter and has an awesome grunt. Kind of a cross between a Les Paul and a Strat

Looks like a cross between a Les Paul and a Strat or sounds like one? :confused:

Chesh