Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   What is the most versatile electric guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t194970/)

heymelbs 07-02-2011 11:17 PM

What is the most versatile electric guitar

Ok, so what's that electric guitar that can do it all???

thesteve 07-02-2011 11:23 PM

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

BillSPrestonEsq 07-02-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heymelbs (Post 3663791)
Ok, so what's that electric guitar that can do it all???

Depends on what you want to do.

Frankly, I don't think many guitars do the strat/LP thing well. Personally, I believe most guitars can do everything. Obviously chicken picken' on a Jazzbox with one neck pickup is probably a poor choice. But most guitars will handle most anything just fine.

lifesglorydead 07-03-2011 01:55 AM

I'm of the persuasion that believes that a Fender Telecaster can be an answer to anyone's problems...however many won't agree with me. I'll stick with what Steve has said... it's pretty much all in your hands.

BillSPrestonEsq 07-03-2011 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifesglorydead (Post 3663799)
I'm of the persuasion that believes that a Fender Telecaster can be an answer to anyone's problems...however many won't agree with me. I'll stick with what Steve has said... it's pretty much all in your hands.

That or an LP will for me. But... I feel in different moods and feel like playing different guitars. So I do.

Shift 07-03-2011 04:42 AM

As for tone options, S/S/H strat styles offer a ton...

BillSPrestonEsq 07-03-2011 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift (Post 3663805)

I'd say a HH LP or tele offer just as many really, not in raw numbers of switch positions, but IMO, the tele bridge pickup and a tone knob will give you almost anything that you don't need a humbucker for, (IOW, High gain) IMO, an LP with a brightish bridge pickup covers as much ground almost. Then again, strats and SGs sound thinner to me than Teles and LPs. I find I can always thin something out sonically.

Rainer. 07-03-2011 10:29 AM

Well, if you have issues deciding on the answer, the obvious solution is that the only way to have the most versatile guitar setup is to just have all of the guitars. ALL OF THEM. :D

Seriously, though, guitar selection is a timbral choice, not a stylistic choice. All of my guitars can do it all.

jamforchrist123 07-03-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer. (Post 3663829)
ALL OF THEM. :D

GET ALL OF THE GUITARS.

I agree it's all about what you make it, but if I had to give an actual answer, I'd say it's a toss up between a Tele and a Les Paul.

I have both as my main two guitars and I honestly feel I can play pretty much any style with either of them. I can play metal-hardcore stuff with my tele and light/barely dirty worship on the Les Paul. They obviously sound different, but I'm comfortable enough with the tones I get from either of them for most any style.

heymelbs 07-03-2011 12:03 PM

I asked the original question, but what are the different types: Strat, Tele, LP, what others?

Kentl 07-03-2011 12:09 PM

Way to many to name, the best bet is to try a specific guitar as each is deferent, my Strat is not like Bill's while neither of ours is 100% like Dave, each guitar is deferent

ibanez_dude 07-03-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift

I'm gonna agree with this. Having the middle positions AND middle pickup makes for an amazing set of tonal combinations. And the humbucker addresses one of the only dislikes I have with strats, which is that the single coil in the bridge sounds great, but I can never seem to get a warm and crunchy drive sound out of it

gopats1479 07-03-2011 01:49 PM

When you say most versatile, that can mean many different things for people. IMO, most versatile means the guitar with the most great different sounds. For that, you've gotta get a 3-pickup custom shop Vox Series 55.
If not that, then a humbucking Tele.

roscoestring 07-03-2011 02:24 PM

I think that this one would be pretty versatile but maybe not too practical. Also, I don't know if you'd call it a guitar.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...neckguitar.jpg

Ax 07-03-2011 06:06 PM

Mass produced? Probably a Jaguar or a Mustang. Not? My Nightshade. ;)