Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   todd's gibson guitars review, (don't hate me) (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t189639/)

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 09:31 AM

todd's gibson guitars review, (don't hate me)
 
ok well first off i'd like to say that i love all of you and don't want you to rip off my head for what i'm about to say.

yesterday i was able to try out some gibson guitars, for the first time ever... i tried a SG and a les paul, i did not try the dot series though, i was at best buy and they were out of reach. scale of 1-10 i have to give them like a 3. hear me out. i like the look, i like the sound of gibsons, but i picked both of them up, and neither one felt good at all..... like my strat feels wonderful, but these were like just off or something. i don't like the weight of either, i don't like the shape of the SG. then playing it, the neck to me felt huge and strange i love the inlays, but all in all i couldn't handle the way my hand slid over it. also i've noticed gibson guitars are the same color all the way round, like the SG was red, and the neck was red, i didn't really like that, personal preferance i guess.

now i was thinking maybe it's because i'm so used to strats, but i tried a tele, and it was wonderful i loved the thing. i've also tried ibanez guitars before in fact i have one, and i live them too. so i think it's something about gibson i just don't like it. again this is just what i feel all you guys that love 'em thats great were all entitled to our opinion, and i guess i just wanted to rant, and find out if i was weird or not.

Reno Rattler 09-17-2010 09:34 AM

Best buy??????? Theres your problem.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 09:35 AM

why is that, it's still a gibson at bestbuy, or guitar center, or gibson corporate... it waws only best buy because i was there for something else and figure i'd stop in to the guitars, i hate shoppin guitars at bestbuy there terrible....

roscoestring 09-17-2010 09:54 AM

I don't think its just Best Buy. I've played several different Gibson guitars and I too have never liked the feel of them. I have a friend with a Les Paul that is a $900 (his price) guitar. I don't like the feel of it. The body is great but the neck is terrible. I've also played an old Les Paul that felt no better to me. I even played an acoustic or two and they stink to me. Sorry.

I have, however, played a Gibson mandolin that is the best instrument that I've ever held. Same with the banjo. Great, great instruments.

It takes a Gibson lover to really appreciate the Gibson guitars. I'm not one of those people.

jefcon1 09-17-2010 10:00 AM

I can relate, but not agree. Although I was a strat only player until a friend of mine offered to sell me his SG. I sold my strat as fast as I could to buy his SG for $250. The strat I had at the time was an '83 and they are the worst, most horrible instruments ever made by any company ever, and the SG plays like a dream. I still consider myself a Fender person and now I play primarily a Telecaster with the SG and the Strat taking turns at the number 2 spot. I catch grief from my friends because I don't like Les Pauls. My first 2 guitars were Paul copies and I've played plenty of real Les Pauls and they don't do it for me. The SG has a snap to it that the Paul doesn't. And I could never justify the weight. To me there are Telecasters and then there's everything else.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 10:15 AM

You need to take a look around my apartment. I have some really fine Gibsons.

However...

A Gibson does not feel the same as a strat. If you are used to one, the scale length change will leave you feeling off. In fact, I'd say if you are new to the Gibson arena, you need to give a good LP a month or so to adjust. Then you will wonder why you ever fought with fenders.

Also, I dare say you need to approach gibsons differently to get a great sound. I dare say I use a much lighter hand with a Gibson than a Fender or Fender style guitar. If I am really feeling like wailing away and being borderline hostile to my instrument, fender style is the way to go. If I am feeling normal, I will pick up a Gibson.

But like all things guitar, you have to give a different style of instrument time to adjust. The first time I played a Gibson, maybe 12 years ago, I felt the same way. But now, I am a die hard Gibson fan.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 10:34 AM

ok i agree bill, i did say i like the sound of a gibson, just from picking one up though i didn't like it, and i'm sure if i had one for a month i'd get used to it, but i don't and honestly i would hate to risk the price range to see if i'll get used to it, i mean what if i don't then i'm out the cash ya know. i'll probably go into GC later and try the dot models and see if theres a difference.

i'm also gonna try out a gretsch hollow body i've always wanted to but never have.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3591811)
ok i agree bill, i did say i like the sound of a gibson, just from picking one up though i didn't like it, and i'm sure if i had one for a month i'd get used to it, but i don't and honestly i would hate to risk the price range to see if i'll get used to it, i mean what if i don't then i'm out the cash ya know. i'll probably go into GC later and try the dot models and see if theres a difference.

i'm also gonna try out a gretsch hollow body i've always wanted to but never have.

Best bet. Look at some old ones and play some known really nice ones. One of the things people forget is we like what we are used to. It isn't that the other sucks sometimes but we are not familliar with it.

Also, Best buy has had some attrociously set up guitars.

One of the beautiful things with used Gibsons is you pick one up, play it for a while, and if you hate it, you sell it for what you paid for it or $20 more.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3591817)
Best bet. Look at some old ones and play some known really nice ones. One of the things people forget is we like what we are used to. It isn't that the other sucks sometimes but we are not familliar with it.

Also, Best buy has had some attrociously set up guitars.

One of the beautiful things with used Gibsons is you pick one up, play it for a while, and if you hate it, you sell it for what you paid for it or $20 more.

yeah well maybe i'll re-try when i go to guitar center the guitars at best buy were way out of tune, even the demos ones were set up bad....

yeah i think if i started on gibson and went over to a strat it would probably feel the same way, i would hate the strat.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3591826)
yeah well maybe i'll re-try when i go to guitar center the guitars at best buy were way out of tune, even the demos ones were set up bad....

yeah i think if i started on gibson and went over to a strat it would probably feel the same way, i would hate the strat.

I started on a 25.5 inch scaled Ibanez and I have almost fully converted to Gibson, but I believe variety is somewhat good for guitarists.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 11:02 AM

yeah i mean like i said i'm not strictly fender, i like ibanez, and thats what i started on too. but who knows where i'll go from here.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3591835)
yeah i mean like i said i'm not strictly fender, i like ibanez, and thats what i started on too. but who knows where i'll go from here.

Well those two are rather similar for the most part nowadays. 25.5 inch scale, bolt on neck, modular design...

Then again I (now)have a set neck Iby from the 80s that is more Les Paul like than most.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 11:19 AM

well see my ibanez is a les paul copy. so i thought i'd like les pauls...

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3591850)
well see my ibanez is a les paul copy. so i thought i'd like les pauls...

what model?

tenwatt 09-17-2010 11:34 AM

My absolute favorite guitar to LOOK at is a Les Paul. I've played 100s of them and have only been able to find a small few that I actually liked the feel and sound of. I wish I would have never gotten rid of my Black Beauty. I can't stand the LOOK of an SG but I haven't played one that didn't feel and sound great to me. Gibson, to me, has the most inconsistent quality of any guitar company. Once you find "the one" it will be irreplaceable though.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 11:36 AM

shoot dude, i don't remember the model number, it's an ibanez gio though, heres a pic.

it's the one that isn't a fender, LOL
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p..._4808094_n.jpg

the guy at guitar center said it's more like a double cutaway les paul than anything.

jefcon1 09-17-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenwatt (Post 3591862)
Gibson, to me, has the most inconsistent quality of any guitar company. Once you find "the one" it will be irreplaceable though.

+1 And then I personally know people who own duds that they swear are "the one" because it has Gibson on the headstock.

Rainer. 09-17-2010 11:43 AM

Gibson SGs are super unbalanced-feeling guitars.

LPs are heavenly, though.

jeepnstein 09-17-2010 11:44 AM

Play a Fender for a few years and a Gibson will feel quite foreign. It's the difference in scales, for one thing. I prefer the typical Gibson scale.

The problem I have with Gibson is the fact that you can't really buy them from a Mom 'n Pop anymore. Their marketing strategy is geared towards the big boys now. Since I don't make trips to the music store as some kind of travel destination, which is what a trip to Guitar Center would have to be, I don't look at new Gibsons.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenwatt (Post 3591862)
My absolute favorite guitar to LOOK at is a Les Paul. I've played 100s of them and have only been able to find a small few that I actually liked the feel and sound of. I wish I would have never gotten rid of my Black Beauty. I can't stand the LOOK of an SG but I haven't played one that didn't feel and sound great to me. Gibson, to me, has the most inconsistent quality of any guitar company. Once you find "the one" it will be irreplaceable though.

I would actually say that of PRS. I have only found one that didnt feel bland to me. I own it. I also dare say I have owned far more gibsons than average and I have found a defect on one. (And I have owned probably 50) That defect was a misplaced pickguard.


That Ibanez is much closer to a fender than an LP I believe. Maple neck, probably bolt on, and probably a fender scale I am guessing?

My best guitar is a Gibson LP really, second finest guitar I ever played. Number one was a maple necked LP from the custom shop. I had it on hold and some moron sold it out from under me. (Got fired over that because he sold it for a silly price too)

SG's are for the most part, pretty neck heavy. Not all are though.

redbaron 09-17-2010 12:08 PM

the ibanez looks like the double cutaway PRS to me.

The weird thing to me about SG's (and 335's for that matter) is how long the neck is, and how easy upper fret access is. when you reach for something around the 20th on a strat or LP you can tell you're way up there. On an SG/335 type guitar it feels like your hand is still way out there. It's kind of nice once you're used to it, but I found I had to watch my hand constantly at first.

gtrdave 09-17-2010 12:17 PM

I wouldn't draw any conclusions on a brand from trying them out at Best Buy, imho.
Could be they weren't set up at all or their selection is limited or whatever...or it could be the simple fact that you didn't like the feel of those particular guitars.
You rated them at a 3, but I wonder what I, a casual Gibson fan-boy, would rate the same guitars at?

Keep in mind that just like Fender and others, Gibson makes a LOT MORE variety of instruments than the couple you got your hands on.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 12:22 PM

yeah i gotcha, and thats why i'm gonna go to guitar center tonight, and re-evaluate

gtrdave 09-17-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3591900)
yeah i gotcha, and thats why i'm gonna go to guitar center tonight, and re-evaluate

You may find that the feel is just not for you.
I can pick up a guitar and know in a matter of seconds whether or not I will want to play it.
Even one that is set up poorly I can get by on, but if the neck feel or finish or shape or whatever is just not jiving with my hands, I'll drop it like a bad habit.

thesteve 09-17-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave (Post 3591909)
You may find that the feel is just not for you.
I can pick up a guitar and know in a matter of seconds whether or not I will want to play it.
Even one that is set up poorly I can get by on, but if the neck feel or finish or shape or whatever is just not jiving with my hands, I'll drop it like a bad habit.

I'm getting to that point. My last experience at GC, I picked up two MIA Fenders, an MIM Fender and one of the Squier CVs. The only one that I felt jived with my hand was the CV. The other three weren't bad guitars, but they definitely weren't going to work for me.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 01:05 PM

well this is what i'm saying about the gibsons they didn't feel right in my hands, mainly the shape and finish. honestly.

gtrdave 09-17-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3591912)
well this is what i'm saying about the gibsons they didn't feel right in my hands, mainly the shape and finish. honestly.

Some of the Faded guitars, because of their thinner nitro finish, have felt *gummy* in my hands.
Same goes for some of the Highway 1 Strats and Teles. Again, thin nitrocellulose lacquer seems to be the cause.
That said, my BFG has a similar finish and yet it feels perfect..smooth and comfortable. Other BFGs have felt the same as have other Faded Les Paul Studios.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave (Post 3591909)
You may find that the feel is just not for you.
I can pick up a guitar and know in a matter of seconds whether or not I will want to play it.
Even one that is set up poorly I can get by on, but if the neck feel or finish or shape or whatever is just not jiving with my hands, I'll drop it like a bad habit.

I think I can do that now, but it has taken a lot of trying of weird guitars to figure that out.

I think a Gibson shape takes a while to get used to when converting from fenders and Ibys.

Rainer. 09-17-2010 01:26 PM

I've been a Fender/Gibson guy for life, but for the life of me, have never enjoyed the feeling of any PRS neck I've played. Even well set-up players' axes. *shrug*

tenwatt 09-17-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3591883)
I would actually say that of PRS. I have only found one that didnt feel bland to me. I own it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer. (Post 3591928)
I've been a Fender/Gibson guy for life, but for the life of me, have never enjoyed the feeling of any PRS neck I've played. Even well set-up players' axes. *shrug*

And I would say that my Custom 24 is the best feeling/sounding guitar I've ever owned. I'm not a PRS fan boy though. They're right there with Gibson to me. It's hard to find that "one" but it's awesome when you do. It's amazing how uniquely crafted we all are.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave (Post 3591916)
Some of the Faded guitars, because of their thinner nitro finish, have felt *gummy* in my hands.
Same goes for some of the Highway 1 Strats and Teles. Again, thin nitrocellulose lacquer seems to be the cause.
That said, my BFG has a similar finish and yet it feels perfect..smooth and comfortable. Other BFGs have felt the same as have other Faded Les Paul Studios.

maybe, all i know is i tried to slide my hand from fret 12 to fret 5, and do a little SRV lick afterwords, and my hand made this terrible high pitch squeeling sound against the neck everytime i moved it, and it almost felt like my hand was stuck to it, lick actually sticky. idk

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenwatt (Post 3591934)
And I would say that my Custom 24 is the best feeling/sounding guitar I've ever owned. I'm not a PRS fan boy though. They're right there with Gibson to me. It's hard to find that "one" but it's awesome when you do. It's amazing how uniquely crafted we all are.

I agree on PRS. I think they vary within good parameters and 99.9% of them are going to be a miss for any particular guitarist. (I love the look of a custom 24 and could own one, and instead I own the prototype of the freaking EG-3, perhaps the PRS on paper I would enjoy the least.)

Note, that PRS is going nowhere. I like it a lot, but I bonded with it, and I have played tons of PRS, and I only like one.

gtrdave 09-17-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3591936)
maybe, all i know is i tried to slide my hand from fret 12 to fret 5, and do a little SRV lick afterwords, and my hand made this terrible high pitch squeeling sound against the neck everytime i moved it, and it almost felt like my hand was stuck to it, lick actually sticky. idk

Yeah, sounds like you played a Faded series.
A Standard or Custom or Studio or regular nitro finished Gibson is not sticky in the least unless the finish is extremely dirty, ime.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 03:19 PM

hmmmmm i'll deff check it out.

Josey Wales 09-18-2010 01:27 AM

ok so i went to guitar center, and tried out a les paul that was properly set up, and in tune, and classic style, and it felt so much better. i think it is the different finishes because the classic felt like the finish thats on my fender, not sticky. after trying one that felt good i decided that it wouldn't be a bad thing to get ahold of and i could see myself getting used to it and enjoying it. but the neck is still thicker and i guess the scale is different but thats something i could get used to. i also got to try out a vintage es 335 it was pretty cool and it sounded good,

but the best guitar was the gretsch electromatic that i tried out i love the design on this one, and it sounded great and felt great, this is something that i want to get in my collection hands down heres a couple pics i snapped
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...9-17203013.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...9-17203021.jpg

thesteve 09-18-2010 02:05 AM

That is a really popular guitar around here. Two other members have it that I can think of off the top of my head, possibly more. Though I don't think there's has the pin striping.

Darrell999 09-18-2010 08:07 AM

I have a Gibson LP, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, and Epi Riviera, and they all have *very* different necks and feels to them--and I love them all. I think you can pretty much get used to any guitar and adjust the way you approach each one. So I can't really relate to people when they say that they "hate" a certain neck or scale length. The human hands are remarkably versatile and can adjust with a bit of patience and practice.

Having said that, I really dislike playing guitars that feel "sticky" in guitar stores. Ewwwww....:whoa:

Ax 09-18-2010 08:47 AM

Gibson is the most boring guitar company I know of. Their guitars look boring, and all sound the same. If you but an SG, a LP, or a Flying V, you're getting the same guitar with a different looking body. The necks are big and fat and uncomfortable, and Gibson is just plain boring.

I know the workmasnship on them is great, and you can achieve some really nice tones, but when it comes down to it, their guitars look terrible and the necks are awkward.

Darrell999 09-18-2010 09:14 AM

What might be "boring" to one guitar player might be "classic" to another. Some people like chocolate ice cream and others like Spamoni. DIfferent strokes for different folks. Makes the world more interesting that way. :yep:

Josey Wales 09-18-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell999 (Post 3592207)
I have a Gibson LP, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, and Epi Riviera, and they all have *very* different necks and feels to them--and I love them all. I think you can pretty much get used to any guitar and adjust the way you approach each one. So I can't really relate to people when they say that they "hate" a certain neck or scale length. The human hands are remarkably versatile and can adjust with a bit of patience and practice.

Having said that, I really dislike playing guitars that feel "sticky" in guitar stores. Ewwwww....:whoa:

well i never said i hated it, i just said i didn't like it, the way it feels, because it was sticky, and i just said that it was different and would take some getting used to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ax (Post 3592212)
Gibson is the most boring guitar company I know of. Their guitars look boring, and all sound the same. If you but an SG, a LP, or a Flying V, you're getting the same guitar with a different looking body. The necks are big and fat and uncomfortable, and Gibson is just plain boring.

I know the workmasnship on them is great, and you can achieve some really nice tones, but when it comes down to it, their guitars look terrible and the necks are awkward.

i do agree with what you say, just not as strongly, when trying them out one of my main problems was the way that it looked, however having one in your collection wouldn't be abad thing, like i could have 3 different strats, and 3 different tele's all with different set ups, and different sounds, but gibsons do generally all sound the same so i would only want one. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3592180)
That is a really popular guitar around here. Two other members have it that I can think of off the top of my head, possibly more. Though I don't think there's has the pin striping.

yeah dude i really like it, i love the "country" feel to it, i mostly play counttry and blues, so that would be the coolest thing ever.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-18-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ax (Post 3592212)
Gibson is the most boring guitar company I know of. Their guitars look boring, and all sound the same. If you but an SG, a LP, or a Flying V, you're getting the same guitar with a different looking body. The necks are big and fat and uncomfortable, and Gibson is just plain boring.

Not true. Sgs sound very different than LPs.
Also, my smallest necked guitar is a Gibson. Mid 90s gibsons have large necks. The current '60s neck is quite slim. The actual 60s necks can be downright small. My 1984 LP custom has a very small, fast neck.

And I probably have some of the smallest hands here.

Darrell999 09-18-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3592231)
well i never said i hated it, i just said i didn't like it, the way it feels, because it was sticky, and i just said that it was different and would take some getting used to.

Actually, I was just referring to when people in general say that, not about your comments. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Josey Wales 09-18-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell999 (Post 3592315)
Actually, I was just referring to when people in general say that, not about your comments. Sorry for the confusion. :)

oh, it's all good, i just wanted to be clear to ya, in case there was confusion :D

Ax 09-19-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3592298)
Not true. Sgs sound very different than LPs.
Also, my smallest necked guitar is a Gibson. Mid 90s gibsons have large necks. The current '60s neck is quite slim. The actual 60s necks can be downright small. My 1984 LP custom has a very small, fast neck.

And I probably have some of the smallest hands here.

Not to me, and not to mention that the SG is literally a Les Paul with a thinner body and different shape. I could see how the thinner body would react a bit differently and it might not sustain as much, however, it's the same recipe. Mahogany + Mahogany + Dual Humbuckers + Stop Trem = Gibson.

The original Flying V was made of Korina but I'm pretty sure in recent years (reissues excluded) they're now made of mahogany.


Some of these, Les Pauls, SGs, and Vs included, have maple tops and some (reissues and special editions only, however) have P90s.

As to the necks, yeah the 60s models and reissues certainly do have thin necks, but they as a company have abandoned the thin neck as part of their equation in the name of MOARSUSTAINTONEZ.

I'm not faulting anybody for liking Gibsons, I know there are a lot of Gibson faithful here, but they're just really uninteresting guitars to me.

The only two interesting guitars they've ever released (to me) was the Robot Guitar and the other one that had the weird pickup that could pick up each individual string so you could mix string levels while recording (which as it turns out is not very practical, just a really cool concept).

And If I really wanted I could put a robot tuning system in any guitar really.

thesteve 09-19-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ax (Post 3592450)
Not to me, and not to mention that the SG is literally a Les Paul with a thinner body and different shape. I could see how the thinner body would react a bit differently and it might not sustain as much, however, it's the same recipe. Mahogany + Mahogany + Dual Humbuckers + Stop Trem = Gibson.

The original Flying V was made of Korina but I'm pretty sure in recent years (reissues excluded) they're now made of mahogany.


Some of these, Les Pauls, SGs, and Vs included, have maple tops and some (reissues and special editions only, however) have P90s.

The typical SG is just Mahogany body and neck with dual humbuckers, as is the modern V. However, IIRC, the only Les Paul that is just mahogany is their $800 model. The rest of Gibson's Les Pauls feature the 3/4" (?) maple cap on top of the mahogany (chambered on most?) body.
Quote:

As to the necks, yeah the 60s models and reissues certainly do have thin necks, but they as a company have abandoned the thin neck as part of their equation in the name of MOARSUSTAINTONEZ.
I don't know how much of this is really true. Yes, the Standard and Studio models both feature the 50's neck, but the Traditional Pro and Studio Plus feature the 60's neck (and are both cheaper than the Standard) and the Standard Plus and 2008 Standard feature an "asymmetrical" neck.

Josey Wales 09-19-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ax (Post 3592450)
Not to me, and not to mention that the SG is literally a Les Paul with a thinner body and different shape. I could see how the thinner body would react a bit differently and it might not sustain as much, however, it's the same recipe. Mahogany + Mahogany + Dual Humbuckers + Stop Trem = Gibson.

The original Flying V was made of Korina but I'm pretty sure in recent years (reissues excluded) they're now made of mahogany.


Some of these, Les Pauls, SGs, and Vs included, have maple tops and some (reissues and special editions only, however) have P90s.

As to the necks, yeah the 60s models and reissues certainly do have thin necks, but they as a company have abandoned the thin neck as part of their equation in the name of MOARSUSTAINTONEZ.

I'm not faulting anybody for liking Gibsons, I know there are a lot of Gibson faithful here, but they're just really uninteresting guitars to me.

The only two interesting guitars they've ever released (to me) was the Robot Guitar and the other one that had the weird pickup that could pick up each individual string so you could mix string levels while recording (which as it turns out is not very practical, just a really cool concept).

And If I really wanted I could put a robot tuning system in any guitar really.


Ax?

what is your guitar of choice?

Ax 09-19-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3592460)
Ax?

what is your guitar of choice?

My home made on. See the sig.

If I had to choose a mass produced one, probably a Jaguar or a Mustang.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-19-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ax (Post 3592450)
Not to me, and not to mention that the SG is literally a Les Paul with a thinner body and different shape. I could see how the thinner body would react a bit differently and it might not sustain as much, however, it's the same recipe. Mahogany + Mahogany + Dual Humbuckers + Stop Trem = Gibson.

Using this logic, all fenders are the same as well. But sticking with SGs and LPs they sound dramatically different with the LP having much more of a full, midrange pronounced sound with SGs having more high end. This is exclusive of the pickups as I have tried the same pickups in both guitars.
Quote:

Some of these, Les Pauls, SGs, and Vs included, have maple tops and some (reissues and special editions only, however) have P90s.
I can think of a bunch of Gibsons over the years that have had p90s and even single coils and mini humbuckers.

I still want to try a nighthawk with 3 pickups at some point.
Quote:

As to the necks, yeah the 60s models and reissues certainly do have thin necks, but they as a company have abandoned the thin neck as part of their equation in the name of MOARSUSTAINTONEZ.
If this were the 70's I think you would be right. Since it is not, and I have owned Gibsons with pretty much every neck profile imaginable, I think you really are just kind of unfamilliar with what is available.
Quote:

I'm not faulting anybody for liking Gibsons, I know there are a lot of Gibson faithful here, but they're just really uninteresting guitars to me.

The only two interesting guitars they've ever released (to me) was the Robot Guitar and the other one that had the weird pickup that could pick up each individual string so you could mix string levels while recording (which as it turns out is not very practical, just a really cool concept).

And If I really wanted I could put a robot tuning system in any guitar really.
Well, the old nighthawk has always intrigued me and I have requests out for any in this area that come up for sale in...

I have not spent much time with explorers and Vs. However, the sonic difference between an SG and LP is at least as large as strat to tele.

And the inovations which Gibson has really brought to market over the years includes p90s, humbuckers, mini humbuckers, robot tuning, plek on a production guitar, etc.

The Les Paul recording contained a whole bunch of interesting stuff, made it heavy as a boat anchor, but Les Paul sure loved it. If you want weird and unusual guitars, mess around with some of the offbeat Gibsons.

What company has really put out a broader range?

Josey Wales 09-19-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ax (Post 3592479)
My home made on. See the sig.

If I had to choose a mass produced one, probably a Jaguar or a Mustang.

dude, verry nice, how hard was it to make the neck, because i want to build one eventually, neck included, and i figure that would be the hardest to build.

also i really like mustangs too

Ax 09-19-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3592489)
Using this logic, all fenders are the same as well. But sticking with SGs and LPs they sound dramatically different with the LP having much more of a full, midrange pronounced sound with SGs having more high end. This is exclusive of the pickups as I have tried the same pickups in both guitars.

I'm talking about, literally, the SG IS a Les Paul. GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM (1961) - Elderly Instruments


Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3592489)
I can think of a bunch of Gibsons over the years that have had p90s and even single coils and mini humbuckers.

Until today I had never seen one with a single, but it's only a middle position and that is in what I would consider the most interesting Gibson I've ever seen, it's still butt ugly though, more thoughts below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3592489)
I still want to try a nighthawk with 3 pickups at some point.

Until a few moments ago I had no idea what the Nighthawk was. It's interesting but still butt ugly. The slanted humbucker and pickup mount might be the least aesthetically pleasing thing that I've ever seen Gibson do. It's almost painful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3592489)
If this were the 70's I think you would be right. Since it is not, and I have owned Gibsons with pretty much every neck profile imaginable, I think you really are just kind of unfamilliar with what is available.

I'm specifically saying reissues excluded. Their lines of new guitars specifically have thicker necks for more sustain. A Gibson spokesperson told me this, in person, to my face. I've tried dozen or so Gibsons, a vintage or two, some that belonged to friends, and then ones from the stores. Even these "thin" necks had an odd feeling profile to them that was uncomfortable to my hands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3592489)
Well, the old nighthawk has always intrigued me and I have requests out for any in this area that come up for sale in...

It's definitely interesting, more so than a Les Paul, at least it's different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3592489)
I have not spent much time with explorers and Vs. However, the sonic difference between an SG and LP is at least as large as strat to tele.

Maybe, I don't hear it but i guess your ears may be more discerning than mine :shrugs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3592489)
And the inovations which Gibson has really brought to market over the years includes p90s, humbuckers, mini humbuckers, robot tuning, plek on a production guitar, etc.

I'm not saying they aren't innovative, but their main line production guitars are just boring. I'm not discounting Gibson as a company, I just think they're overrated by a lot of people who see one and start posting "ZOMGIBSON" all over the web. They're also overpriced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3592489)
The Les Paul recording contained a whole bunch of interesting stuff, made it heavy as a boat anchor, but Les Paul sure loved it. If you want weird and unusual guitars, mess around with some of the offbeat Gibsons.

I'm unfamiliar with it,

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3592489)
What company has really put out a broader range?

Broader range? I dunno.. Ibanez?

Fender's range may not be broader but they're certainly more interesting.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 AM.



vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2