Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   todd's gibson guitars review, (don't hate me) (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t189639/)

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave (Post 3591916)
Some of the Faded guitars, because of their thinner nitro finish, have felt *gummy* in my hands.
Same goes for some of the Highway 1 Strats and Teles. Again, thin nitrocellulose lacquer seems to be the cause.
That said, my BFG has a similar finish and yet it feels perfect..smooth and comfortable. Other BFGs have felt the same as have other Faded Les Paul Studios.

maybe, all i know is i tried to slide my hand from fret 12 to fret 5, and do a little SRV lick afterwords, and my hand made this terrible high pitch squeeling sound against the neck everytime i moved it, and it almost felt like my hand was stuck to it, lick actually sticky. idk

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenwatt (Post 3591934)
And I would say that my Custom 24 is the best feeling/sounding guitar I've ever owned. I'm not a PRS fan boy though. They're right there with Gibson to me. It's hard to find that "one" but it's awesome when you do. It's amazing how uniquely crafted we all are.

I agree on PRS. I think they vary within good parameters and 99.9% of them are going to be a miss for any particular guitarist. (I love the look of a custom 24 and could own one, and instead I own the prototype of the freaking EG-3, perhaps the PRS on paper I would enjoy the least.)

Note, that PRS is going nowhere. I like it a lot, but I bonded with it, and I have played tons of PRS, and I only like one.

gtrdave 09-17-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3591936)
maybe, all i know is i tried to slide my hand from fret 12 to fret 5, and do a little SRV lick afterwords, and my hand made this terrible high pitch squeeling sound against the neck everytime i moved it, and it almost felt like my hand was stuck to it, lick actually sticky. idk

Yeah, sounds like you played a Faded series.
A Standard or Custom or Studio or regular nitro finished Gibson is not sticky in the least unless the finish is extremely dirty, ime.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 03:19 PM

hmmmmm i'll deff check it out.

Josey Wales 09-18-2010 01:27 AM

ok so i went to guitar center, and tried out a les paul that was properly set up, and in tune, and classic style, and it felt so much better. i think it is the different finishes because the classic felt like the finish thats on my fender, not sticky. after trying one that felt good i decided that it wouldn't be a bad thing to get ahold of and i could see myself getting used to it and enjoying it. but the neck is still thicker and i guess the scale is different but thats something i could get used to. i also got to try out a vintage es 335 it was pretty cool and it sounded good,

but the best guitar was the gretsch electromatic that i tried out i love the design on this one, and it sounded great and felt great, this is something that i want to get in my collection hands down heres a couple pics i snapped
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...9-17203013.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...9-17203021.jpg

thesteve 09-18-2010 02:05 AM

That is a really popular guitar around here. Two other members have it that I can think of off the top of my head, possibly more. Though I don't think there's has the pin striping.

Darrell999 09-18-2010 08:07 AM

I have a Gibson LP, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, and Epi Riviera, and they all have *very* different necks and feels to them--and I love them all. I think you can pretty much get used to any guitar and adjust the way you approach each one. So I can't really relate to people when they say that they "hate" a certain neck or scale length. The human hands are remarkably versatile and can adjust with a bit of patience and practice.

Having said that, I really dislike playing guitars that feel "sticky" in guitar stores. Ewwwww....:whoa:

Ax 09-18-2010 08:47 AM

Gibson is the most boring guitar company I know of. Their guitars look boring, and all sound the same. If you but an SG, a LP, or a Flying V, you're getting the same guitar with a different looking body. The necks are big and fat and uncomfortable, and Gibson is just plain boring.

I know the workmasnship on them is great, and you can achieve some really nice tones, but when it comes down to it, their guitars look terrible and the necks are awkward.

Darrell999 09-18-2010 09:14 AM

What might be "boring" to one guitar player might be "classic" to another. Some people like chocolate ice cream and others like Spamoni. DIfferent strokes for different folks. Makes the world more interesting that way. :yep:

Josey Wales 09-18-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell999 (Post 3592207)
I have a Gibson LP, Fender Strat, Fender Tele, and Epi Riviera, and they all have *very* different necks and feels to them--and I love them all. I think you can pretty much get used to any guitar and adjust the way you approach each one. So I can't really relate to people when they say that they "hate" a certain neck or scale length. The human hands are remarkably versatile and can adjust with a bit of patience and practice.

Having said that, I really dislike playing guitars that feel "sticky" in guitar stores. Ewwwww....:whoa:

well i never said i hated it, i just said i didn't like it, the way it feels, because it was sticky, and i just said that it was different and would take some getting used to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ax (Post 3592212)
Gibson is the most boring guitar company I know of. Their guitars look boring, and all sound the same. If you but an SG, a LP, or a Flying V, you're getting the same guitar with a different looking body. The necks are big and fat and uncomfortable, and Gibson is just plain boring.

I know the workmasnship on them is great, and you can achieve some really nice tones, but when it comes down to it, their guitars look terrible and the necks are awkward.

i do agree with what you say, just not as strongly, when trying them out one of my main problems was the way that it looked, however having one in your collection wouldn't be abad thing, like i could have 3 different strats, and 3 different tele's all with different set ups, and different sounds, but gibsons do generally all sound the same so i would only want one. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3592180)
That is a really popular guitar around here. Two other members have it that I can think of off the top of my head, possibly more. Though I don't think there's has the pin striping.

yeah dude i really like it, i love the "country" feel to it, i mostly play counttry and blues, so that would be the coolest thing ever.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-18-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ax (Post 3592212)

Not true. Sgs sound very different than LPs.
Also, my smallest necked guitar is a Gibson. Mid 90s gibsons have large necks. The current '60s neck is quite slim. The actual 60s necks can be downright small. My 1984 LP custom has a very small, fast neck.

And I probably have some of the smallest hands here.

Darrell999 09-18-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3592231)
well i never said i hated it, i just said i didn't like it, the way it feels, because it was sticky, and i just said that it was different and would take some getting used to.

Actually, I was just referring to when people in general say that, not about your comments. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Josey Wales 09-18-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell999 (Post 3592315)
Actually, I was just referring to when people in general say that, not about your comments. Sorry for the confusion. :)

oh, it's all good, i just wanted to be clear to ya, in case there was confusion :D

Ax 09-19-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3592298)
Not true. Sgs sound very different than LPs.
Also, my smallest necked guitar is a Gibson. Mid 90s gibsons have large necks. The current '60s neck is quite slim. The actual 60s necks can be downright small. My 1984 LP custom has a very small, fast neck.

And I probably have some of the smallest hands here.

Not to me, and not to mention that the SG is literally a Les Paul with a thinner body and different shape. I could see how the thinner body would react a bit differently and it might not sustain as much, however, it's the same recipe. Mahogany + Mahogany + Dual Humbuckers + Stop Trem = Gibson.

The original Flying V was made of Korina but I'm pretty sure in recent years (reissues excluded) they're now made of mahogany.

Some of these, Les Pauls, SGs, and Vs included, have maple tops and some (reissues and special editions only, however) have P90s.

As to the necks, yeah the 60s models and reissues certainly do have thin necks, but they as a company have abandoned the thin neck as part of their equation in the name of MOARSUSTAINTONEZ.

I'm not faulting anybody for liking Gibsons, I know there are a lot of Gibson faithful here, but they're just really uninteresting guitars to me.

The only two interesting guitars they've ever released (to me) was the Robot Guitar and the other one that had the weird pickup that could pick up each individual string so you could mix string levels while recording (which as it turns out is not very practical, just a really cool concept).

And If I really wanted I could put a robot tuning system in any guitar really.

thesteve 09-19-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ax (Post 3592450)
Not to me, and not to mention that the SG is literally a Les Paul with a thinner body and different shape. I could see how the thinner body would react a bit differently and it might not sustain as much, however, it's the same recipe. Mahogany + Mahogany + Dual Humbuckers + Stop Trem = Gibson.

The original Flying V was made of Korina but I'm pretty sure in recent years (reissues excluded) they're now made of mahogany.

Some of these, Les Pauls, SGs, and Vs included, have maple tops and some (reissues and special editions only, however) have P90s.

The typical SG is just Mahogany body and neck with dual humbuckers, as is the modern V. However, IIRC, the only Les Paul that is just mahogany is their $800 model. The rest of Gibson's Les Pauls feature the 3/4" (?) maple cap on top of the mahogany (chambered on most?) body.
Quote:

As to the necks, yeah the 60s models and reissues certainly do have thin necks, but they as a company have abandoned the thin neck as part of their equation in the name of MOARSUSTAINTONEZ.
I don't know how much of this is really true. Yes, the Standard and Studio models both feature the 50's neck, but the Traditional Pro and Studio Plus feature the 60's neck (and are both cheaper than the Standard) and the Standard Plus and 2008 Standard feature an "asymmetrical" neck.