Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   todd's gibson guitars review, (don't hate me) (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t189639/)

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 09:31 AM

todd's gibson guitars review, (don't hate me)

ok well first off i'd like to say that i love all of you and don't want you to rip off my head for what i'm about to say.

yesterday i was able to try out some gibson guitars, for the first time ever... i tried a SG and a les paul, i did not try the dot series though, i was at best buy and they were out of reach. scale of 1-10 i have to give them like a 3. hear me out. i like the look, i like the sound of gibsons, but i picked both of them up, and neither one felt good at all..... like my strat feels wonderful, but these were like just off or something. i don't like the weight of either, i don't like the shape of the SG. then playing it, the neck to me felt huge and strange i love the inlays, but all in all i couldn't handle the way my hand slid over it. also i've noticed gibson guitars are the same color all the way round, like the SG was red, and the neck was red, i didn't really like that, personal preferance i guess.

now i was thinking maybe it's because i'm so used to strats, but i tried a tele, and it was wonderful i loved the thing. i've also tried ibanez guitars before in fact i have one, and i live them too. so i think it's something about gibson i just don't like it. again this is just what i feel all you guys that love 'em thats great were all entitled to our opinion, and i guess i just wanted to rant, and find out if i was weird or not.

Reno Rattler 09-17-2010 09:34 AM

Best buy??????? Theres your problem.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 09:35 AM

why is that, it's still a gibson at bestbuy, or guitar center, or gibson corporate... it waws only best buy because i was there for something else and figure i'd stop in to the guitars, i hate shoppin guitars at bestbuy there terrible....

roscoestring 09-17-2010 09:54 AM

I don't think its just Best Buy. I've played several different Gibson guitars and I too have never liked the feel of them. I have a friend with a Les Paul that is a $900 (his price) guitar. I don't like the feel of it. The body is great but the neck is terrible. I've also played an old Les Paul that felt no better to me. I even played an acoustic or two and they stink to me. Sorry.

I have, however, played a Gibson mandolin that is the best instrument that I've ever held. Same with the banjo. Great, great instruments.

It takes a Gibson lover to really appreciate the Gibson guitars. I'm not one of those people.

jefcon1 09-17-2010 10:00 AM

I can relate, but not agree. Although I was a strat only player until a friend of mine offered to sell me his SG. I sold my strat as fast as I could to buy his SG for $250. The strat I had at the time was an '83 and they are the worst, most horrible instruments ever made by any company ever, and the SG plays like a dream. I still consider myself a Fender person and now I play primarily a Telecaster with the SG and the Strat taking turns at the number 2 spot. I catch grief from my friends because I don't like Les Pauls. My first 2 guitars were Paul copies and I've played plenty of real Les Pauls and they don't do it for me. The SG has a snap to it that the Paul doesn't. And I could never justify the weight. To me there are Telecasters and then there's everything else.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 10:15 AM

You need to take a look around my apartment. I have some really fine Gibsons.

However...

A Gibson does not feel the same as a strat. If you are used to one, the scale length change will leave you feeling off. In fact, I'd say if you are new to the Gibson arena, you need to give a good LP a month or so to adjust. Then you will wonder why you ever fought with fenders.

Also, I dare say you need to approach gibsons differently to get a great sound. I dare say I use a much lighter hand with a Gibson than a Fender or Fender style guitar. If I am really feeling like wailing away and being borderline hostile to my instrument, fender style is the way to go. If I am feeling normal, I will pick up a Gibson.

But like all things guitar, you have to give a different style of instrument time to adjust. The first time I played a Gibson, maybe 12 years ago, I felt the same way. But now, I am a die hard Gibson fan.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 10:34 AM

ok i agree bill, i did say i like the sound of a gibson, just from picking one up though i didn't like it, and i'm sure if i had one for a month i'd get used to it, but i don't and honestly i would hate to risk the price range to see if i'll get used to it, i mean what if i don't then i'm out the cash ya know. i'll probably go into GC later and try the dot models and see if theres a difference.

i'm also gonna try out a gretsch hollow body i've always wanted to but never have.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3591811)
ok i agree bill, i did say i like the sound of a gibson, just from picking one up though i didn't like it, and i'm sure if i had one for a month i'd get used to it, but i don't and honestly i would hate to risk the price range to see if i'll get used to it, i mean what if i don't then i'm out the cash ya know. i'll probably go into GC later and try the dot models and see if theres a difference.

i'm also gonna try out a gretsch hollow body i've always wanted to but never have.

Best bet. Look at some old ones and play some known really nice ones. One of the things people forget is we like what we are used to. It isn't that the other sucks sometimes but we are not familliar with it.

Also, Best buy has had some attrociously set up guitars.

One of the beautiful things with used Gibsons is you pick one up, play it for a while, and if you hate it, you sell it for what you paid for it or $20 more.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3591817)
Best bet. Look at some old ones and play some known really nice ones. One of the things people forget is we like what we are used to. It isn't that the other sucks sometimes but we are not familliar with it.

Also, Best buy has had some attrociously set up guitars.

One of the beautiful things with used Gibsons is you pick one up, play it for a while, and if you hate it, you sell it for what you paid for it or $20 more.

yeah well maybe i'll re-try when i go to guitar center the guitars at best buy were way out of tune, even the demos ones were set up bad....

yeah i think if i started on gibson and went over to a strat it would probably feel the same way, i would hate the strat.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3591826)
yeah well maybe i'll re-try when i go to guitar center the guitars at best buy were way out of tune, even the demos ones were set up bad....

yeah i think if i started on gibson and went over to a strat it would probably feel the same way, i would hate the strat.

I started on a 25.5 inch scaled Ibanez and I have almost fully converted to Gibson, but I believe variety is somewhat good for guitarists.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 11:02 AM

yeah i mean like i said i'm not strictly fender, i like ibanez, and thats what i started on too. but who knows where i'll go from here.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3591835)
yeah i mean like i said i'm not strictly fender, i like ibanez, and thats what i started on too. but who knows where i'll go from here.

Well those two are rather similar for the most part nowadays. 25.5 inch scale, bolt on neck, modular design...

Then again I (now)have a set neck Iby from the 80s that is more Les Paul like than most.

Josey Wales 09-17-2010 11:19 AM

well see my ibanez is a les paul copy. so i thought i'd like les pauls...

BillSPrestonEsq 09-17-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josey wales (Post 3591850)
well see my ibanez is a les paul copy. so i thought i'd like les pauls...

what model?

tenwatt 09-17-2010 11:34 AM

My absolute favorite guitar to LOOK at is a Les Paul. I've played 100s of them and have only been able to find a small few that I actually liked the feel and sound of. I wish I would have never gotten rid of my Black Beauty. I can't stand the LOOK of an SG but I haven't played one that didn't feel and sound great to me. Gibson, to me, has the most inconsistent quality of any guitar company. Once you find "the one" it will be irreplaceable though.