Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Can I vent about my search today? (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t188875/)

BillSPrestonEsq 09-13-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABPOS (Post 3590238)
Gotcha!

from wiki:

Some models use body woods other than mahogany; examples include the Swamp Ash SG Special and SG Voodoo, the 2009 Raw Power, and some walnut bodied 1970s models. High-end models occasionally sport decorative maple caps, carved tops, and gold hardware.

well, for what its worth, the spanish cedar melody makers exist on a spec sheet. I have heard of a friend owning one in the early '60s ones that was (possibly a 59, but the guitar met its demise in about 65 in a fire) supposedly cedar, but he doubts his memory on it. The late 70's ones to mid 80's I have not played one, though I would love to, but I have a feeling that those might not be solid mahogany just because of the period of Gibson history and essentially Gibson tried a lot of things to gain marketshare in an age of superstrats and spandex.

In the 70's the, the paul and, the sg series, if you didn't get a deluxe model (which were mahogany, at least for the "The Paul firebrand deluxe") were I believe walnut. The rest are, I believe special editions that would cost extra.

ABPOS 09-14-2010 05:01 PM

If I could figure out how to deal with this switch, I would really like one of these. Maybe even more so than either one of the others I mentioned. But I would hit that switch for sure. I think I like the body of this better. More comfy. And the bridge is Gibson like.

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0148300506

ABPOS 09-20-2010 12:10 PM

Played some guitars briefly this morning. Ibanez had some hollow bodies I liked. 335 copies. They played nice. I played a couple of PRS that are pretty good. There were a bunch of strats and one of them was a HH model. A deluxe for 329 at music go round. I liked that one quite a bit. There was a Gibby LP double cut away with P90's. I really really, like the idea of this guitar. But it was kind of beat. It looked like it was painted over with flat black paint. Did they come that way? It seemed like it COULD be good, but I'm not sure I want to take a chance on it for 750 dollars. Played some epi LP's that were OK. I played two SG's that I liked, but they were epi's. I didn't play any real LP's. I need to to see the difference. One SG had some real funky looking hb's, and the tuners were replaced, because you could see the old holes. The SG's just hit me as the ones that fit me most out of the Gibby's. I wish I could find one with some P90's.

ABPOS 09-25-2010 07:56 PM

Played a bunch of guitars today at MusicGoRound. Nothing jumped out at me but it still helped my search. This was a different location than the last one I was at, so, different guitars.

And this is for Bill, I played a REAL Les Paul today. And I have to say, it played really really nice. This was an older one, grey. Weighed a metric Ton. A TON. It's not what I want, but I finally got to see what a good Les Paul feels like. This one was very nice to play. It was really uncomfortable though because the back edge had like NO bevel to it and it cut into my skinny ribs. It played really really nice though. It was more than what I could spend, and it's not what I want, but I get it now. Wow this thing was nice.

However, I played a REAL SG that was right next to it and I was kind of like, meh. I liked the neck quite a bit. But it just didn't grab me. That one I could've afforded. But didn't want to. It was white also. I shoulda took my camera.

I also played a 1963 Jazzmaster. I wish so many guitars didn't have switches where you might strum. Those bottom ones would leave me bloody after too long. It was the type that had 3 sliding switches down low. The thing that was really cool about the Jazz was that the neck was really narrow at the nut. Almost more than I like but I seem to favor them more narrow. And the frets were nice and low profile. Probably vintage frets. Well, they weren't vintage back then maybe. I don't know, it had a really nice feel to it, but I wish I could just get rid of switches on half of these guitars. Or I wish they would've put them where they should be. In the back. Yeah, I know, further to reach, but out of the way of strumming.

It is the truth though, every guitar is different, of the same model. I played a couple strats and teles and though the like models feel similar, they all feel a little different. And the weights, I played an American Strat, and it felt as light as Mom's "Starcaster". And then I've played ones that are heavier. I know it's different woods, but you would think an American would be made of a wood that would be heavier than a Chinese model. I don't mind light, but I'm sure it affects tone.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-25-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABPOS (Post 3595055)
I know it's different woods, but you would think an American would be made of a wood that would be heavier than a Chinese model. I don't mind light, but I'm sure it affects tone.

Why? That would be about the last thing I would think...

Weight has nothing to do with country of origin of wood.

Personally, I tend to be of the school of thought that, lighter, better seasoned pieces of wood, sound better.

Heavier=/= better in any way shape or form tonally.

I know its expensive but if you like strumming electrics with narrow necks, try a rickenbacker.

In the 70s and 80s heavy guitars were the rage.

Rainer. 09-25-2010 10:14 PM

Parker makes super-light electric guitars that are very well built. All MIA. If light is something that interests you...

ABPOS 09-26-2010 09:16 AM

Well, I just figured if a good LP was real heavy, that was better. I guess I was wrong. I didn't really think about it. My Mom's Starcaster is very light. So, those two contrasted each other. I just "assumed".

Anyways, I have to make a correction, the Jazzmaster I was talking about up above is a Jaguar. Which makes sense because it uses a smaller scale and that's the type of switches at the bottom. I did play a Jazzmaster at that same place about a month ago and I liked that too. I wish I could find some stripped down models that don't always have the switches in my way of strumming.

I started thinking maybe I should build what I want, because I think I know what I want now. I saw this picture in Vintage Guitar magazine of these Jaguer/Jazzmaster styled guitars, but they had tele necks and the tele switch and knobs. Out of the way the way I liked it. And one was equipped with two p90's.That is about exactly what I want. My fear of building one is it might not turn out. Like I won't like the feel of it when I'm done.

ABPOS 09-27-2010 11:53 AM

I played a HH strat again this morning and plugged it in. I liked the sound. But, the downside is that when the buckers are split like that, the single coils are so much quieter. I guess that shouldn't matter though if you're not switching back and forth. And for some people that are solo happy, I guess this could be a good thing.

I like the way this one plays and feels. Looks are OK. I was really interested in the black top series, and this is basically the same thing. It was made in 2002-03. The price would be better than buying a brand new one and it seems to work fine.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-27-2010 12:13 PM

Oh, and weight of an LP is largely irrelevant too, just FYI. It was a trend of guitar mythology in times past.

Split buckers don't usually so great unless they are a hot pickup. If you do go HH, you might want to eventually consider p-rails and a 3 way switch for humbucker p90 and single coil in each pickup.

And Jazzmaster pickups are not p90s just fyi.

ABPOS 09-27-2010 12:26 PM

Oh my that was cool. I just called CS at Fender and the guy was very helpful. I gave him the serial number and he told me exactly what it was and how it was wired. It appears to be original. Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

I like your idea bill. Because I was thinking I might want to switch the pups out. He said they were factory fender "hot rod" pups, wired in parallel. Aren't buckers that aren't splittable wired in parallel? Either way, I liked the sound of the buckers. It was fuller sound without being crazy. And no twang discerned. It was a more vanilla sound, but that's what I'm looking for. I'm seriously considering this guitar, as the price is good. I think I should call back and find out what kind of case comes with it.

ABPOS 09-27-2010 07:11 PM

I went back there tonight with every intention of buying it. But I didn't. I like a lot of things about it, but I was reminded today that I really like the vintage frets. This had the regular medium jumbo. I played a strat that had them and I just like how they feel. I didn't want that particular strat, but it made me think. I also played a Rickenbacker today. And yes, I really liked that too. It's frets were smaller wire than medium jumbo and the neck was a little thinner in the nut width. It was cool. But it cost $1700. I'm not ponying up for that.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I like how the 2 humbuckers sounded on the strat. It basically takes away the tones I don't like in the strat, and gets that middle pick up out of my way. And I like the feel of the body. But I still think I'd PREFER a smaller scale, with vintage frets. I think my ultimate would be a Jaguar with some P90's and switches the way I want them. Basically a basic version, like I said I saw in the Vintage Guitar mag. As long as it had vintage frets, I think I'd be in heaven. I wonder if I should just build it.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-27-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABPOS (Post 3595745)
I went back there tonight with every intention of buying it. But I didn't. I like a lot of things about it, but I was reminded today that I really like the vintage frets. This had the regular medium jumbo. I played a strat that had them and I just like how they feel. I didn't want that particular strat, but it made me think. I also played a Rickenbacker today. And yes, I really liked that too. It's frets were smaller wire than medium jumbo and the neck was a little thinner in the nut width. It was cool. But it cost $1700. I'm not ponying up for that.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I like how the 2 humbuckers sounded on the strat. It basically takes away the tones I don't like in the strat, and gets that middle pick up out of my way. And I like the feel of the body. But I still think I'd PREFER a smaller scale, with vintage frets. I think my ultimate would be a Jaguar with some P90's and switches the way I want them. Basically a basic version, like I said I saw in the Vintage Guitar mag. As long as it had vintage frets, I think I'd be in heaven. I wonder if I should just build it.

So basically a jaguar shaped body with 2 humbucker routes for p-rails (with the triple shot switches perhaps built into the mounting ring?) a 3 way switch would likely give you whatever options you would want then...

Rics can be found cheaper sometime and have unusually consistent QC. Just saying, because if I were just going from your threads, my guess is, a Ric is the closest to your preference.

If you need help, a bunch of us here do builds and such and would be more than happy to help.

ABPOS 09-27-2010 07:24 PM

Thanks Bill. I'll be giving it some thought. What doesn't make sense to me is all the info I've been linked, even on warmoth sight shows vintage frets being taller than medium jumbo. Yet I know I've played guitars that the frets are lower than the average medium jumbo. Are these things ground down or something? The vintage frets are smaller in width. According the the drawings. I'm bumfuzzled.

I did see a ric on craigs list when I first started searching. And I emailed the guy. He never got back to me.

Maybe I'm just meant to play acoustic. Hehehehe. OK OK, I'm picky, I know.

BillSPrestonEsq 09-27-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABPOS (Post 3595750)
Thanks Bill. I'll be giving it some thought. What doesn't make sense to me is all the info I've been linked, even on warmoth sight shows vintage frets being taller than medium jumbo. Yet I know I've played guitars that the frets are lower than the average medium jumbo. Are these things ground down or something? The vintage frets are smaller in width. According the the drawings. I'm bumfuzzled.

I did see a ric on craigs list when I first started searching. And I emailed the guy. He never got back to me.

Maybe I'm just meant to play acoustic. Hehehehe. OK OK, I'm picky, I know.

truly vintage frets are often very low, recrowned a few times. 6130 is really low. 6230 would probably do you nicely, and honestly, its the smallest size they offer in stainless which is, IMO, a worthwhile $20 upgrade. (Vastly superior wear characteristic.) What they are calling medium jumbo is wide, but low. If I understand correctly, the jumbo in medium jumbo refers to the width. 6230 ss is what I have on my warmoth.

A friend of mine picked up a ric dakota not long ago for 450, sold it for 600. A ric at that price point would require patience.

ABPOS 09-28-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3595767)
truly vintage frets are often very low, recrowned a few times. 6130 is really low. 6230 would probably do you nicely, and honestly, its the smallest size they offer in stainless which is, IMO, a worthwhile $20 upgrade. (Vastly superior wear characteristic.) What they are calling medium jumbo is wide, but low. If I understand correctly, the jumbo in medium jumbo refers to the width. 6230 ss is what I have on my warmoth.

A friend of mine picked up a ric dakota not long ago for 450, sold it for 600. A ric at that price point would require patience.

So I'm not crazy? There is lower than medium jumbo out there. I just haven't seen a drawing. I'll look up your numbers.

I could do 450. I might even go 600 if I thought it was worth it. So you think they are decent quality usually?

Warmoth shows the 6230 as being shorter. But like you said, maybe some of the models I've played have been "recrowned" 6130's. If they don't normally use stainless, what do they use? I see it, hard nickel/silver. Yeah, stainless seems like a good idea.