Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Everyone, meet Walter Dillingham IV (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t186096/)

crazymoose 03-26-2010 03:28 PM

Everyone, meet Walter Dillingham IV

3 Attachment(s)
As you may know, I spent since August off and on building a guitar from scratch. I finally finished at the end of January but I forgot I hadn't made a post about it, so anyway, here he is: Walter Dillingham IV. Ash body, maple Carvin neck w/ ebony fretboard, and Fender SCN Noiseless Tele pickups.

I don't really have any way to get good enough sound recordings for the effort to be worth it, especially since my laptop is hating me right now. But any sound recordings I can get wouldn't be high enough quality for you to hear. It sounds pretty good in my opinion. There's a couple things on it I wish I'd done better and I want to eventually build a neck from scratch for it, but hey, for a first guitar I'm quite proud of it. I'm glad I didn't just buy a pre-fab body cause the cutting and sanding and routing was actually my favouritr part of it all despite my lack of woodworking skills.

Oh and I didn't take any closeups of the headstock cause I signed it.

cheyguy426 03-26-2010 04:58 PM

That is a sweet guitar man!! I loveeeeee the paint job!

OiBoyz 03-26-2010 06:13 PM

Tell Walter he's very handsome.

jeepnstein 03-26-2010 07:26 PM

It's a Tele. Teles are cool. Great job!

Reno Rattler 03-26-2010 07:43 PM

That's some nice work!

crazymoose 03-26-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepnstein (Post 3538437)
It's a Tele. Teles are cool. Great job!

It's a neon green tele with a dinosaur on it. The ability to make a neon green guitar was what made up my mind when I was deciding whether to try building a guitar or not.

slap_j 03-26-2010 08:14 PM

Haha. That is great.

BillSPrestonEsq 03-26-2010 08:47 PM

Its great. Love the paint job. In the future... I might put a control plate parallel to the neck.

Skifree0813 03-26-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazymoose (Post 3538444)
It's a neon green tele with a dinosaur on it.

Either one of those would win for me. Both of them together.. Awesome idea.

Art 03-26-2010 09:07 PM

Amazing. I approve of this message.

crazymoose 03-26-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3538454)
Its great. Love the paint job. In the future... I might put a control plate parallel to the neck.

Meh... That's one thing I don't really like about teles. I originally wanted to just have no control plate and just have the pots and switch stick through the wood from the back but the idea of leaving wood that thin kinda scared me.

thesteve 03-27-2010 12:01 AM

How are the pickups installed? You don't have a pickguard, so is the guitar rear-routed? I'd be interested in seeing pictures of that.

crazymoose 03-27-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3538512)
How are the pickups installed? You don't have a pickguard, so is the guitar rear-routed? I'd be interested in seeing pictures of that.

The bridge is just front mounted and the hole is covered by the bridge. The neck is really nothing special, I just routed a hole through the body big enough for the pickup to stick through, then I routed a cavity behind it and covered it with a square piece of plastic (I actually did a kinda messy job on the plate covering it but I never bothered to fix it cause it was on the back). I bought springs and then fed the mounting screws in through the back of the pup and held it forward with the springs. I actually still need to find longer screws of that size which I haven't been able to do. The neck pup doesn't really come forward far enough so it's quieter. I looked everywhere and I just can't get that type of screw long enough.

BillSPrestonEsq 03-28-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazymoose (Post 3538510)
Meh... That's one thing I don't really like about teles. I originally wanted to just have no control plate and just have the pots and switch stick through the wood from the back but the idea of leaving wood that thin kinda scared me.

In the future, if this worries you... long pots designed for LP's are the answer. Personally, it isn't thin enough to worry about IMO. (You can leave a full 1/4 inch or so, and personally I prefer drilling the holes first so you can see the depth you are routing and how much you are leaving.

If you do that, you can use just a standard pot and a small backplate cover.

crazymoose 03-28-2010 10:34 PM

True enough, I'll probably do that next time. The pots I bought I would have had to leave slightly less than an 1/8th of an inch. I really want to build another one, I just need money to buy parts. :(