Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Bass (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f223/)
-   -   Trading in? (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t184347/)

scared2mosh 01-17-2010 07:14 PM

Trading in?

I have a squier P-bass, and squier strat (with amp) that I want to sell in order to buy a new 5 string bass with. I also have a 4 Soundgear srx300 that I, if possible, would like to keep (to use with a cello bow).

What kind of trade in value do you think I can get? Also what are some good 5 string basses tht are cheap and good? I've been looking at Ibanez... specifically something with humbuckers.

ideas?

seventoglory 01-17-2010 07:26 PM

Typical box stores like GC may give you 30-40 percent of its value and probably less for something with squier on the headstock. Your better off selling the items yourself.

As far as a 5 string with a humbucker. The defiant is awesome for the price
Brice Defiant 5 Nat at RondoMusic.com

scared2mosh 01-17-2010 09:52 PM

DAAAAANNNNG. I really like that... sadly I dont have 500$ :-/

is there a cheaper version?

EDIT: also... that isn't one of those weird 5 stringers where the 5 string is higher is it? I want the low B

Giga Hertz 01-18-2010 12:05 AM

I'd go with a Yamaha RBX375A or 765 (the older model) if you can find one cheap. One of the larger online stores here was selling them for AU$500.

thesteve 01-18-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scared2mosh (Post 3512323)
EDIT: also... that isn't one of those weird 5 stringers where the 5 string is higher is it? I want the low B

That's a normal 5-string bass, just with a 35" scale.

Depending on the series of your P-Bass and Stratocaster, I would guess that you will be able to get somewhere between $200 and $300 for both.

seventoglory 01-18-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scared2mosh (Post 3512323)
DAAAAANNNNG. I really like that... sadly I dont have 500$ :-/

is there a cheaper version?

Nah, its tuned regularly. Here is the rondo 5 string page. They have models from 169$ and up with humbuckers. Rondo Music 5 String Basses

Personally I would go with a brice and up but the douglas is still a great value.

martinedwards 01-19-2010 03:30 AM

trade ins are a store's way of taking more money.

for instance.......

I want a $500 bass.

here's $450 cash........ cedtainly sir, here's a bass.

OR

I have a $200 trade in.

certainly sir, give me another $300 and you will have your bass..........

you will almost always get more for your gear selling it to someone else than for a trade in, AND the store will give a discount for cash.

I was once in a store (where I was a regular on Saturdays and sold more guitars than the staff!!) when a kid came in with a strat copy to trade in. I was in the market for a strat copy to mod & maybe set up for slide.

the store offered him 35 trade value.

I played the guitar for 5 minutes and took 35 out of my pocket and gave it to the kid!! the neck was SOOOOOO sweet!!

HE then got cash discount on what he was buyin so he was better off, I had a great strat copy, and the store didn't havde to try & sell on something that looked a bit rough.

22 years later, that is the only "made by someone other than me" guitar I still own.

Fandrew 01-19-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinedwards (Post 3512863)
22 years later, that is the only "made by someone other than me" guitar I still own.

So, did you get rid of your white MIJ Strat you got for free last year?

scared2mosh 04-28-2010 06:19 AM

Well I went to GC yesterday searching for some ideas of what I want. My favorite that I tried was the Ibanez SR505. The neck was super fast and just felt great. I also looked at a used Schecter that had a slightly larger neck that felt like more what I'm used to as well as dual EMG-hz pickups.

The SR505 was about $579 and the used Schecter was like $450 (a little scratched though) I really like both of em, but I dont know when I'll have the money so I'm gunna look for those used at some smaller stores or maybe online. Also I still have yet to find someone with that Brice bass so I can try it out. :(

Have any of you tried those (or similar) bases before? What was your opinions?

thesteve 04-28-2010 10:14 AM

You're probably not going to find a Brice in stores. They're distributed exclusively (or near exclusively) through Rondo.