Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   CGR Guitar Instrumental Track (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t184304/)

Chups01098 01-16-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC7rock (Post 3512015)
You can do both major and minor pentatonics in the same key and still have it flow... Listen to BB King, Joe Satriani, Lincoln Brewster, and Joe Bonamassa... they all do this. Also with the 16 bar sections I can arrange the rhythm guitar to fit whatever you guys throw at me.... Also, if anybody has any rhythm ideas you can use them too. Just specify which your part is.

If you want to see what I'm talking about (major and minor pentatonics) check out my vid. I switched between them a lot!

so your saying like if im in d#minor, use some c minor pent (d# major pent) also ?

i dont even know what to go for in this 20 seconds long of soloing lol. im gonna just mess around maybe try some octave fuzz also, or just... idk. its so little time to solo

Rainer. 01-16-2010 09:32 PM

He means you can use F# blues which is related to F# minor pentatonic in this context.

LC7rock 01-16-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chups01098 (Post 3512023)
so your saying like if im in d#minor, use some c minor pent (d# major pent) also ?

i dont even know what to go for in this 20 seconds long of soloing lol. im gonna just mess around maybe try some octave fuzz also, or just... idk. its so little time to solo

Yeah, but you have to do it just right. It really creates an interesting feeling to the music. For example in my vid, the first little section I used A min Pentatonic, but next section I used an A maj pentatonic (F# min pentatonic) and then went back to the minor.

It doesn't have to be complex, just do something.

Chups01098 01-16-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC7rock (Post 3512026)
Yeah, but you have to do it just right. It really creates an interesting feeling to the music. For example in my vid, the first little

im confused...

rainer says use f#minor, but you cay c minor.

i thought major pent was like if your supposed to use d minor, use b minor, and its the major pent to d minor or f major

Rainer. 01-16-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chups01098 (Post 3512029)
im confused...

i thought major pent was like if your supposed to use d minor, use b minor, and its the major pent to d minor or f major

You can use F# mixolydian major, or F# blues.

C minor doesn't work.

And your last sentence there makes no sense.

If you're supposed to be playing in D minor... you play D minor...

LC7rock 01-16-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer. (Post 3512031)

C minor doesn't work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chups01098 (Post 3512029)
im confused...

I never said c minor pentatonic would work in F#, I said if it was in D# it would be a D# maj.

Sorry if F# is weird for anyone, I just find it's a good soloing key and a very good key for bass. If you have too much trouble with it you can tune down a half step.

Chups01098 01-16-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer. (Post 3512031)

C minor doesn't work.

If you're supposed to be playing in D minor... you play D minor...

isnt f blues just f minor pent with a added note.

the bolded line just shattered my entire universe. i thought if your in sAY a minor, playing a little blues in a, to use the major pent, you would go to f# minor pent

LC7rock 01-16-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chups01098 (Post 3512035)
isnt f blues just f minor pent with a added note.

the bolded line just shattered my entire universe. i thought if your in sAY a minor, playing a little blues in a, to use the major pent, you would go to f# minor pent

Hold up... do your research on your scales dude... your confusing us with the way your talking....

Listen if you are playing in an F# you can use an F# min Pentatonic and you can go to the F#'s major pentatonic, which is the exact same shape as a D# min pentatonic. Study your scales dude.... a C min has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH AN F#, it does although fit if you were ONLY playing in D#.

Chups01098 01-16-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC7rock (Post 3512038)
Hold up... do your research on your scales dude... your confusing us with the way your talking....

Listen if you are playing in an F# you can use an F# min Pentatonic and you can go to the F#'s major pentatonic, which is the exact same shape as a D# min pentatonic. Study your scales dude.... a C min has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH AN F#, it does although fit if you were ONLY playing in D#.

Thank you now this whole maj pent thing makes since. Everyone has always gotten it and i've always thought it was like the minor down 3 half steps or something.

I've always been confused on this major pentatonics but i think i understand it!

LC7rock 01-16-2010 10:26 PM

Just reminding everyone that the track is here.

http://www.christianguitar.org/forum...ck-start-b.mp3

Demon_Hunter 01-16-2010 10:28 PM

Why couldnt you have selected a track in Gb, or Eb minor? Sheesh.

Sharp keys are for geeks. :p

If I have the chance tommorow I may take a listen to that backing track and try to record something. I dont promise itll be good, but itll be me.

LC7rock 01-16-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter (Post 3512057)
Why couldnt you have selected a track in Gb, or Eb minor? Sheesh.

Sharp keys are for geeks. :p

If I have the chance tommorow I may take a listen to that backing track and try to record something. I dont promise itll be good, but itll be me.

Nah, F# is a key for those who know how to play more than the average guitarist... ;) jk And um... if you haven't figured it out, F# is Gb. :p

thesteve 01-16-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC7rock (Post 3512058)
Nah, F# is a key for those who know how to play more than the average guitarist... ;) jk And um... if you haven't figured it out, F# is Gb. :p

It's also Eb minor...hence the joke.

LC7rock 01-16-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3512065)
It's also Eb minor...hence the joke.

I know... but when somebody says Gb... I think of playing G on a guitar tuned down a half step. When I say F# I mean playing in standard.

Rainer. 01-16-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC7rock (Post 3512067)
I know... but when somebody says Gb... I think of playing G on a guitar tuned down a half step. When I say F# I mean playing in standard.

Well YOU THOUGHT WRONG!

;)