Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Overrated Guitarist (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t179556/)

tenwatt 08-07-2009 04:59 AM

Overrated Guitarist

We have an "Underrated" thread...who do you think are some of the most overrated guitarist?

Bro Shane 08-07-2009 07:53 AM

The Edge.

RubberChipmunk 08-07-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bro Shane (Post 3444950)
The Edge.

Agreed.

jeepnstein 08-07-2009 08:48 AM

Since almost everyone in the world plays better than me, I am in no way able to judge on this one.

DaGeek 08-07-2009 08:49 AM

Dragonforce.

*Dons body armor and anti-flame helmet*

gtrdave 08-07-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaGeek (Post 3444960)
Dragonforce.

*Dons body armor and anti-flame helmet*

Some players actually perform better live than in the studio.
This is not the case with the fine folks in Dragonofrce, imho, so we're in agreement.

Other overrated players...I don't know, I guess there's a bunch, but I tend to not judge someone's ratedness based on popularity as much of the rest of the world does, so most people I list are quite popular and will probably end up ticking many people off and produce no good fruit so... :x

slap_j 08-07-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave (Post 3444964)
most people I list are quite popular and will probably end up ticking many people off and produce no good fruit so... :x

Hendrix?
Clapton?
Page?
Slash?
Young?

mulletman 08-07-2009 10:26 AM

The Edge, absolutely.

Kirk Hammett.

thesteve 08-07-2009 10:30 AM

I'm really surprised at the choice of the Edge here. A few years ago he would've been on everyone's underrated guitarists lists. Anyone choosing the Edge in this thread care to elaborate on their selection?

martinedwards 08-07-2009 10:57 AM

The Edge is one of the best RHYTHM guitarists there is.

OK, he's not a shredder, but I like what I hear!!

my vote?

Buckethead.

What IS that about?

RubberChipmunk 08-07-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3444995)
I'm really surprised at the choice of the Edge here. A few years ago he would've been on everyone's underrated guitarists lists. Anyone choosing the Edge in this thread care to elaborate on their selection?

He's not nearly as good as people think he is. He lets it go to his head, too. Anyone and their mother can send a delay into another delay and sound like The Edge. Anyone. I can do it. You can do it. Billy the trained circus goldfish can do it. He has said that he prefers to play as few notes as possible, and that he developed his style of play as a stylized way of playing something anyone else would consider normal. To me, that comes across as "I can't play anything more technical than this, but it just so happens to work in U2 so I'll just tell people that this is how I like to play." I honestly believe that I'm a better guitarist than The Edge, and yet he's still somehow more famous.

Martin, I agree with you on Buckethead. I'd also throw in Steve Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, and many of those shredders. I think they are INCREDIBLY talented. I cannot play guitar like they can. But they don't always write songs that are good. They write songs to show off their technical abilities, and that's cool, but its not always good music.

Skeeter 08-07-2009 11:05 AM

The Edge is a fantastic guitarist. Boo on all of you. And I'm barely a U2 fan...

tenwatt 08-07-2009 11:09 AM

That's the great thing about overrated guitarist. They still have something to offer or else they wouldn't be overrated. The Edge is very obviously not a shreader but he has set the foundation for his style of playing.

RubberChipmunk 08-07-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeeter (Post 3445009)
The Edge is a fantastic guitarist. Boo on all of you. And I'm barely a U2 fan...

I think U2 makes a lot of good songs. There are plenty of U2 songs I like, and I would agree that his style works incredibly well for that. Possibly for some other things, too. I think he's actually a decent guitarist for what he does, just not even remotely as good as he or anyone else thinks he is.

S.B.Nichols 08-07-2009 11:19 AM

the edge is certainly on my list of most overrated. Not that he isn't a great guitarist, but there seems to be this strange mystique that people have about him, like he can do no wrong and everything he does and touches is tone gold....just not true, and that's why he's over-rated.