Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Vocals & Other Instruments (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f471/)
-   -   Which vocal range does Cory Putman sing at? (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t165553/)

JerRocks2day 05-05-2008 08:26 AM

Which vocal range does Cory Putman sing at?
 
I'm just wondering about CP of Norma Jean. My friend Adam said that his singing style is more like he's whining. Does anybody else here know how he sings?

Ax 05-05-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerRocks2day (Post 3218749)
Does anybody else here know how he sings?

Poorly? I listed to Songs Sound Much Sadder and the only singing i heard in it was nasally, whiny, and pitchy... not something you should want to sound like.

JerRocks2day 05-05-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AX (Post 3219314)
Poorly? I listed to Songs Sound Much Sadder and the only singing i heard in it was nasally, whiny, and pitchy... not something you should want to sound like.

I think you mean "listened."

The whiny, nasally, pitchy part is kinda what my friend Adam told me how his singing's like. I guess Josh Scogin is better, right?

Ax 05-05-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerRocks2day (Post 3219316)
I think you mean "listened."

The whiny, nasally, pitchy part is kinda what my friend Adam told me how his singing's like. I guess Josh Scogin is better, right?

I did mean listened.. sorry...

Umm... Josh Scoggins is cool but he's not really "better" per-se... I've never heard him actually sing, but I liked him in the Luti-Kriss before they were Norma Jean. I think they were more creative then...

Demon_Hunter 05-05-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerRocks2day (Post 3218749)
I'm just wondering about CP of Norma Jean. My friend Adam said that his singing style is more like he's whining. Does anybody else here know how he sings?


While I greatly enjoy Cory Brandans singing and screaming. If you are wanting to front a band that features mostly singing, then you dont want to sound like Cory. Cory is fine for his band, and his sound fits well with what they are trying to do, especially on Redeemer. But unless you are wanting to do a Metalcore/Noisecore style band, then really Cory's singing is not that great.


Josh Scogin was a different type of screamer. Him and Cory have different styles. I dont think one is better than the other perse (though, I think Josh's vocals have always been, and will always be more brutal than Cory's). Also, josh is more of a showman than anything else. If you watch any live stuff of him, or if you see his band The Chariot, live, you will understand the focus is not his vocal work, its the wicked show he puts on.

bass4christ27 05-16-2008 07:34 PM

I enjoy both Corey and Josh's work. I think it's about time they got recognition for using whatever voice God gave them, whether it is considered "good" by sceptics or not. I personaly love thier voices as much as Aaron Gillespe (Underoath), and Stephen Christian(Anberlin).
I think it's about time people stop worrying about haveing a "good" voice, and just going with whatever God gave them, and Norma Jean and The Chariot are both good examples. If God gave you the abilities He did, why try to change it? I understand improving it, but don't try to be something else.

jengoesup 05-30-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bass4christ27 (Post 3229545)
I enjoy both Corey and Josh's work. I think it's about time they got recognition for using whatever voice God gave them, whether it is considered "good" by sceptics or not. I personaly love thier voices as much as Aaron Gillespe (Underoath), and Stephen Christian(Anberlin).
I think it's about time people stop worrying about haveing a "good" voice, and just going with whatever God gave them, and Norma Jean and The Chariot are both good examples. If God gave you the abilities He did, why try to change it? I understand improving it, but don't try to be something else.

People can usually significantly improve their voice by changing their technique. Lots of people use poor technique and hurt their voices; not because God gave them poor technique, but because they were never taught properly. I'm sure all of the singers mentioned above could be better singers; if they used different technique. But do they want to use different technique, or is the technique that they are using appropriate to their music?

bass4christ27 06-01-2008 07:08 PM

I think they are verry content with the technique they are useing.
I must say that I agree with all that you are saying, and I am all for using correct technique while singing or screaming. But even using good technique there are still going to be voices that make the "pros" out there cringe. I think that if Corey Putman used correct tchnique, it could sound good for Norma Jeans music style, but if he started singing classical? I'm only saying that he is using his voice, good or bad technique, for God. If he starts noticing problems with his voice, and wants to fix his technique, that's his choice.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:30 PM.



vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2