Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Rock 'n Christ's Guitar Search (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t159031/)

thesteve 11-23-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3106985)
so the Schecter Baritone is already in its own version of Drop B? (meaning you could play 6-string Drop B tabs with this Baritone's standard tuning)

will I have to transverse tabs as I would have to with a 7-string?

also, will this guitar do well in standard tuning? (standard tuning about 20-25% of time)

I have no idea what tuning "drop-B" is, but I'd imagine getting the proper tuning on a baritone would be much easier than on a standard guitar. All I can say really is that the "standard" tuning on a baritone is lower than the standard tuning on a regular guitar.

thesteve 11-23-2007 10:27 AM

I just looked it up...Drop-B tuning is different than Baritone tuning...

Baritone tuning is B E A D F# B
Drop-B is B F# B E G# C#

BTW...I'm merging your multiple question posts into a single thread...I think they'll be easier for you to keep track of that way. As it is, you're asking the same questions in a lot of your threads.

Rock 'n Christ 11-23-2007 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3107035)
I have no idea what tuning "drop-B" is, but I'd imagine getting the proper tuning on a baritone would be much easier than on a standard guitar. All I can say really is that the "standard" tuning on a baritone is lower than the standard tuning on a regular guitar.

Drop B tuning (reg. 6-string, 6-1): B/F#/B/E/G#/C#

So, would I have to transverse standard-tuning tabs to play it on the Baritone?

Or could I play along with a standard-tuning tab (same chords, etc.) just fine with a Baritone in its own standard tuning?

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3107036)
I just looked it up...Drop-B tuning is different than Baritone tuning...

Baritone tuning is B E A D F# B
Drop-B is B F# B E G# C#

BTW...I'm merging your multiple question posts into a single thread...I think they'll be easier for you to keep track of that way. As it is, you're asking the same questions in a lot of your threads.

So what could play with a Baritone in standard tuning?

Could you play along with Drop B tabs without transversing, or would you have to tune the Baritone to Drop B?

If you cant play along with Drop B tabs or standard-tuning tabs, what could you play with a Baritone in standard tuning.

Sorry about all the question threads Steve, I'm just very anxious about deciding between the Hellraiser and Baritone and need as much information as possible about the Baritone right now.

thesteve 11-23-2007 10:40 AM

in order to play drop B on a baritone you'd have to transpose the music to baritone tuning, however Baritone tuning is the same as Standard (EADGBE) tuning, only a fifth lower so songs in standard will move a 5th lower when played on a baritone.

Drop-B is a variation of Drop-D...allowing you to play 1-finger power-chords.

Baritone is actually a lower tuning than Drop-B, but the notes are different. I don't know if you could easily achieve Drop-B on a baritone guitar if you used lighter strings.

tht00 11-23-2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3107012)
I'm thinking about purchasing a Schecter C-1 EX Baritone Blackjack, and it has the SD '59 pickups, Ive heard several good and bad reviews of these pickups. the Schecter C-7 Hellraiser (along with many other guitars) have EMG 81/85 pickups, and Ive only heard good things about the EMG's. Which set of pickups would you prefer?

P.S. Drop tuning (primarily Drop B and C#)= 75% of time Standard tuning= 25% of time.

TIA
-Cam

Umm... it has 2 '59 pickups? I've never heard of putting that p'up in the bridge position.

I've got a SH-1 '59 in the neck of my Ibanez Gax70 and it truly is a wonderful pickup... but it really isn't suited for anything 'heavy'. Beautiful clean and overdriven, and you can get some sweet/warm leads out of it, but too much distortion muds the thing up.

For the styles I play, I'm definitely set on the '59. However, I don't think it would be well suited for drop tunings.

thesteve 11-23-2007 10:47 AM

The EX-1 has the '59 in the neck and the JB in the bridge.

CDBongo 11-23-2007 03:30 PM

With the baritone's tuning, all you would have to do to play standard is capo it at 5. you could play drop "B" stuff by just playing regular power chords (a normal e5 would be a b5, which would be the lowest powerchord on a guitar tuned to drop "B") Sometimes, you will need to have the one finger capabilities found in drop tunings, in that case, drop the B to an A and capo the guitar at 2. Sometime, hopefully before I graduate I hope to get a guitar that I'll use specifically for that reason, (when I get an amp with a speaker larger than 8") If you choose to do this, definitely make sure you get the guitar perfectly intonated, and use a nice capo, shubb makes some good ones.

Sounds like a fun project.

I don't know if you'd be interested, but fender makes a Jaguar Baritone Guitar. I recently saw TFK in concert and they used a Jaguar, I don't know if it was the baritone model, but I wouldn't doubt it since sometimes they go low to drop B. I'd like to have one of those guitars.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN259300

Rock 'n Christ 11-23-2007 08:24 PM

So, for the baritone, I could either leave it in its standard tuning and capo the 5th fret or I could tune it back to regular tuning E/A/D/G/B/E and it would be fine? Would it sound any deeper after tuning it to regular tuning?

And for any other tunings, like Drop C#/Db for example, I could just tune it to C#/Db and it would be fine, it might sound a bit deeper?

BillSPrestonEsq 11-23-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3107336)
So, for the baritone, I could either leave it in its standard tuning and capo the 5th fret or I could tune it back to regular tuning E/A/D/G/B/E and it would be fine? Would it sound any deeper after tuning it to regular tuning?

And for any other tunings, like Drop C#/Db for example, I could just tune it to C#/Db and it would be fine, it might sound a bit deeper?

You tune it to regular tuning and you are asking for trouble. The scale is longer and that will be too much tension.

You tune a baritone to standard
B
E
A
D
F#
B

If you start tuning it higher, I can almost guarantee problems.

To drop B, your best bet would be to drop A and put a capo on fret 2.

Hopeful 11-24-2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3107535)
You tune it to regular tuning and you are asking for trouble. The scale is longer and that will be too much tension.

If you start tuning it higher, I can almost guarantee problems.

Agreed. Plus, can you imagine the amount of finger pressure that would be needed to play that baby?

BillSPrestonEsq 11-24-2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopeful (Post 3107577)
Agreed. Plus, can you imagine the amount of finger pressure that would be needed to play that baby?

actually yes... Only because as a n00b guitarist I made that mistake over a decade ago.

thesteve 11-24-2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3107535)

GREAT SUGGESTION!

I was trying to think of how to get a baritone guitar into Drop-B earlier and just couldn't come up with a solution...this is so "duh" it hurts.

Rock 'n Christ 11-24-2007 04:47 PM

Now that Ive got most of my drop tuning questions out of the way, its time for standard tuning (faint evil/sinister/maniacal laughing in the background).

I'm currently in a band (myspace.com/deathtolifeministries) that plays only in standard tuning, and I'm joining our church's High School band this Wednesday, who also only plays in standard tuning. Both bands only meet once a week (both on Wednesday at my church), so I wont be playing in standard tuning very much, maybe 20-25% of the time. So if I wanted to play a standard tuning song with the Baritone without using a capo, since its the same tuning, just a 1/5 down, could I play the same chords and it would be sound right, just deeper? And for the 7-string, its already in standard tuning, just with the low B, so would I have to not play/mute the 7th string when playing standard tuning songs to sound right, or could I play all 7-strings and it would be okay, just sound deeper?

Also, if either of the two questions I asked are a yes (or both of them), would I have to do any transversing? (because I'll have to be able to learn songs on the spot at my church without a tab for it, they'll just tell me what to play)

I'm sorry about all the bombardment of questions, its just that I have to make a decision in a few days, and there are still some Q's that need answering on my part before I will feel comfortable making a decision.

TIA
-Cam

BillSPrestonEsq 11-24-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3108078)
Now that Ive got most of my drop tuning questions out of the way, its time for standard tuning (faint evil/sinister/maniacal laughing in the background).

I'm currently in a band (myspace.com/deathtolifeministries) that plays only in standard tuning, and I'm joining our church's High School band this Wednesday, who also only plays in standard tuning. Both bands only meet once a week (both on Wednesday at my church), so I wont be playing in standard tuning very much, maybe 20-25% of the time. So if I wanted to play a standard tuning song with the Baritone without using a capo, since its the same tuning, just a 1/5 down, could I play the same chords and it would be sound right, just deeper? And for the 7-string, its already in standard tuning, just with the low B, so would I have to not play/mute the 7th string when playing standard tuning songs to sound right, or could I play all 7-strings and it would be okay, just sound deeper?

Also, if either of the two questions I asked are a yes (or both of them), would I have to do any transversing? (because I'll have to be able to learn songs on the spot at my church without a tab for it, they'll just tell me what to play)

I'm sorry about all the bombardment of questions, its just that I have to make a decision in a few days, and there are still some Q's that need answering on my part before I will feel comfortable making a decision.

TIA
-Cam

On a baritone, if you play a standard G form it will be a D chord. If you try playing exactly the same shape as standard tuning, you will be a fifth off 100% of the time.

Rock 'n Christ 11-24-2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3108104)
On a baritone, if you play a standard G form it will be a D chord. If you try playing exactly the same shape as standard tuning, you will be a fifth off 100% of the time.

OK, and what about the 7-string?

CDBongo 11-24-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

So if I wanted to play a standard tuning song with the Baritone without using a capo, since its the same tuning, just a 1/5 down, could I play the same chords and it would be sound right, just deeper?
It's not the same tuning, it's five 1/2 steps lower. You could still play chords, but you'd have to transpose. It's not like you can just finger a C chord the way you usually do in standard and have it be a "C, just deeper" tonally, it would be a G chord. If you wanted, you could teach yourself all of these lower chords, and use the lower inversions of the chords for deeper sounding chords, it would take some work but it could be done. For simplicities sake, you'll definitely want a capo to play familiar chords especially if you're playing a song you don't know.
I was skeptical about the capo thing as well, but the capo I have acts almost identical to my bridge, it's a shubb, I highly recommend it if you do decide to do the capo thing, it's more expensive than most capos, but it's well worth it, and doesn't use springs to clamp and possibly harm your guitar.

with a seven string, you can play "E" form barre chords, and choose to either just barre the seventh string (giving you a fifth on the bass) or mute it / somehow not play it.
I don't know about "A" forms, but most people don't play the sixth string anyway when they play these forms, so If you're one of those people, then you shouldn't have a problem
If you play open chords, the lowest string may or may not be a note in the chord, it depends of which chord.

BillSPrestonEsq 11-24-2007 06:07 PM

I'm thinking a good capo would be a wise choice with a baritone if that is the route you choose. Drop B would be accessible and standard would be available with the capo on fret 5.

Rock 'n Christ 11-25-2007 01:46 PM

Ive been emailing my guitar instructor as well as speaking to him last Wed. about this whole issue/decision, let me copy what he said in his most recent e-mail to me (yesterday):

The seven string may be the best way to go. You would have to get used to selective playing of that 7th string, but that's just a little practice.

He has also told me that the 7-string will require less tuning since I'll be playing in standard tuning as well. Do you agree/disagree with what he has said?

Rainer. 11-25-2007 01:52 PM

Another option with the baritone is to tune it to BEADGB (notice that's just a matter of tuning the F# up a half step from bari-standard) and play like you're playing a 7 string missing the high E string. Or capo on 5.

Rock 'n Christ 11-25-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer. (Post 3108638)
Another option with the baritone is to tune it to BEADGB (notice that's just a matter of tuning the F# up a half step from bari-standard) and play like you're playing a 7 string missing the high E string. Or capo on 5.

So you think a Baritone would be the better option?

BillSPrestonEsq 11-25-2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3108636)
Ive been emailing my guitar instructor as well as speaking to him last Wed. about this whole issue/decision, let me copy what he said in his most recent e-mail to me (yesterday):

The seven string may be the best way to go. You would have to get used to selective playing of that 7th string, but that's just a little practice.

He has also told me that the 7-string will require less tuning since I'll be playing in standard tuning as well. Do you agree/disagree with what he has said?

disagree. Just buy a capo and put it on fret 5 for standard tuning and do not play one fingered power chords. A standard Barre will sound better and with the low B available, thats enough. For me it is far simpler and far easier to just Barre 5 frets up rather than worry with an extra string. The capo would solve all your worries.

CDBongo 11-25-2007 02:11 PM

Agreed, If I were you I'd do the baritone/capo solution.

Rock 'n Christ 11-26-2007 07:09 AM

OK, I'm heavily considering buying the Baritone now, but what would I have to do for the following tunings: Drop D, Drop C#/Db, and Drop C. In other words, how would/could I achieve these tunings on the Baritone?

tht00 11-26-2007 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3109418)
OK, I'm heavily considering buying the Baritone now, but what would I have to do for the following tunings: Drop D, Drop C#/Db, and Drop C. In other words, how would/could I achieve these tunings on the Baritone?

From my understanding, you wouldn't need those at all.

Usually, the 'drop' tunings are to allow for lower power chords that weren't possible on standard (a low D, for instance). With a baritone, you can easily hit that without changing the tuning, so it would seem awful redundant to do so.

thesteve 11-26-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tht00 (Post 3109433)
From my understanding, you wouldn't need those at all.

Usually, the 'drop' tunings are to allow for lower power chords that weren't possible on standard (a low D, for instance). With a baritone, you can easily hit that without changing the tuning, so it would seem awful redundant to do so.

they also just allow for easy one-finger power chords.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3109418)

if you tune to drop A as Bill suggested then capo 2 you're in drop B...Capo 3 for Drop C, 4 for C# and 5 for D.

Rock 'n Christ 11-26-2007 11:14 AM

after capoeing on 5 to achieve standard tuning, can/would I play the same chords with the same chord formation/fingering as I would with a normal guitar in standard tuning? Or would I play the same chords, but different formation/fingering?

If the latter is true, how will I determine the new fingering for the chord(s)?

thesteve 11-26-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3109507)
after capoeing on 5 to achieve standard tuning, can/would I play the same chords with the same chord formation/fingering as I would with a normal guitar in standard tuning? Or would I play the same chords, but different formation/fingering?

If the latter is true, how will I determine the new fingering for the chord(s)?

when you put the capo on the 5th fret you're in standard tuning (EADGBE) so it's just like playing any other standard tuned guitar.

Rock 'n Christ 11-26-2007 11:37 AM

so for the chord Bsus for example (fingering=1st finger on 2nd fret 5th string. 3rd finger on 4th fret 4th string. 4th finger, 4th fret, 3rd string), I would play the same chord with the exact same fingering (as far as what string each of my fingers go on) but itd be on the 7th fret and 9th fret after capoeing on 5 instead of the 2nd and 4th fret.

If so, then I will go to GC to try out the Baritone with my amp, I'll play in Drop B and standard since those are my two main tunings and see how it sounds with the presets on my amp. hopefully I wont have much to worry about.

thesteve 11-26-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3109535)
so for the chord Bsus for example (fingering=1st finger on 2nd fret 5th string. 3rd finger on 4th fret 4th string. 4th finger, 4th fret, 3rd string), I would play the same chord with the exact same fingering (as far as what string each of my fingers go on) but itd be on the 7th fret and 9th fret after capoeing on 5 instead of the 2nd and 4th fret.

yes, exactly.

Rock 'n Christ 11-26-2007 11:47 AM

and I assume the same would go for drop tunings as well, as far as the fingering after capoeing and dropping the low B to an A, right?

Now its a matter of buying a good capo, here are three links to capoes, LMK what you think would be best for using with the Baritone (I will be using this capo a lot, so it needs to be good):

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...roductId=86833

http://www.monkeyjunkie.com/product/.../SHUBB-C2.html

and for this last link to a capo, I'm not talking about buying this exact capo from this exact company, I'm just looking at the shape to see what's best:

http://www.wholenote.com/item--MC.KGEB

TIA
-Cam

Also, what thickness of strings would guys recommend me putting on? If it really matters, what brand of strings would you also recommend?

remember that I'll be playing anywhere from Drop B to standard tuning, so I probably wont be putting on anything thicker than 14's

lespaul59 11-26-2007 04:02 PM

Unless I'm just missing something or you like playing along with records. What is the point of using a capo on a Baritone? I mean you can still use say the fingering of a G chord but it will just be a D chord. I just don't see the point in using a capo. But like I said I could just be missing something, if I am please point it out

thesteve 11-26-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lespaul59 (Post 3109887)
Unless I'm just missing something or you like playing along with records. What is the point of using a capo on a Baritone? I mean you can still use say the fingering of a G chord but it will just be a D chord. I just don't see the point in using a capo. But like I said I could just be missing something, if I am please point it out

well...if I had a baritone guitar and all my friends had guitars in standard tuning, I could slap a capo on the 5th fret and be tuned the same as everyone else.

or...as BSPE mentioned before...if you wanted to play in Drop B, you could tune the guitar to Drop A and capo on the 2nd fret...and voila Drop B.

CDBongo 11-26-2007 10:36 PM

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...apo?sku=361502

This shubb capo is the newer model of the C capo you previously linked to.

I highly recommend buying one

Rock 'n Christ 11-27-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBongo (Post 3110261)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...apo?sku=361502

This shubb capo is the newer model of the C capo you previously linked to.

I highly recommend buying one

thanks for the link, now I need to find the right bag (soft shell). I can't get a hardshell since my amp is probably pushing 50lbs, I have to carry it like a large box with both hands, so I have to strap my guitar onto my back, so I need to find a good, decent soft shell case for the Baritone, any suggestions?

Joseiy 11-27-2007 12:19 PM

My bass amp is 45 I don't have much trouble taking my bass in a hardshell case and my bass amp. But I do have problems with running into doors..... But seriously hard case is always worth it you don't wanna have to pay 200 bucks for breaking the neck. Not to mention all the various other things that could happen to it. I have one of the Hardened soft cases for my Alvarez Acoustic which is way better than a regular gig bag. I can stand on it. I'm not sure if they are available for Electric.

lespaul59 11-27-2007 02:05 PM

As far as cases go I would get a hardshell or a not sure what they're called but I think Peavey just calls them Lite(that may be wrong). The Peavey case like I have is made like a hardshell case but it's cloth like a gig bag and has a hard foam(it may have a name) on the in side. It's pretty much a hardshell case with out the extra weight. I'll look for a link.

Here is a link to the Peavey case, but I don't think they offer a baritone size case. But you could try one at a local dealer and see if it would work.http://www.peavey.com/products/brows...ite%20Case.cfm
I have one and like it, but I do like hardshells better.

Rock 'n Christ 11-27-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseiy (Post 3110664)
My bass amp is 45 I don't have much trouble taking my bass in a hardshell case and my bass amp. But I do have problems with running into doors..... But seriously hard case is always worth it you don't wanna have to pay 200 bucks for breaking the neck. Not to mention all the various other things that could happen to it. I have one of the Hardened soft cases for my Alvarez Acoustic which is way better than a regular gig bag. I can stand on it. I'm not sure if they are available for Electric.

my amp is pretty big, so its very hard to carry it with one hand while having to carry a guitar in the other hand, so I just want a soft shell case like the Roadrunner. does anyone have any recommendations for soft shell cases?

I'm not trying to be rude about not really looking into hard shell cases, but I just think that it'll be better for my situation. Also, I will likely be getting a FBV Express pedal for my amp, so I'll need a case that can hold the pedal as well.

lespaul59 11-28-2007 01:15 AM

Not trying to be rude but couldn't you make more than one trip to carry you gear into the places you would be playing in. And unless you get a cheap gig bag the better made gig bags cost in the same range as some of the cheaper hardshell cases. And in my opinion the amount of protection that a hardshell case offer compaired to a gig bag, I think gig bags are a waist of money. But also something is better than nothing. And depending on the length of the baritone a bass gig bag or case would more than likely be a better choice.

Rock 'n Christ 11-28-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lespaul59 (Post 3111314)
Not trying to be rude but couldn't you make more than one trip to carry you gear into the places you would be playing in. And unless you get a cheap gig bag the better made gig bags cost in the same range as some of the cheaper hardshell cases. And in my opinion the amount of protection that a hardshell case offer compaired to a gig bag, I think gig bags are a waist of money. But also something is better than nothing. And depending on the length of the baritone a bass gig bag or case would more than likely be a better choice.

It's about a 5 min. walk from the car into the basement of my church where I would be playing, my friend will be there, but his hands are completely full, its much less time comsuming and more convienient on my end (not to mention cheaper, unless something breaks like you mentioned, but I will be all the more careful with a soft shell case).

gtrdave 11-28-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3111028)
my amp is pretty big, so its very hard to carry it with one hand while having to carry a guitar in the other hand, so I just want a soft shell case like the Roadrunner. does anyone have any recommendations for soft shell cases?

Your amp is the Spider II 112, yes?
If so, it's not THAT big and not very heavy for a 1x12 combo.
I know. I own one.
As far as a soft case, just be sure to get something good and padded and be mindful that you have to be very careful when transporting the guitar anywhere.
I use a Godin bag for my Solidac. It's a very good quality gig bag and I'm careful enough with it to protect the guitar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3111028)
I'm not trying to be rude about not really looking into hard shell cases, but I just think that it'll be better for my situation. Also, I will likely be getting a FBV Express pedal for my amp, so I'll need a case that can hold the pedal as well.

The FBV Express can be hauled in the back of the Spider II.
Again, that's what I do with mine; controller, cat5 cable and power cord for the amp all store nicely in the giant empty space of the Spider II.
Just don't poke a hole in the speaker and, hey, you can use the magnet to hold the FBV steady. :yep:

Rock 'n Christ 11-28-2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave (Post 3111455)
Your amp is the Spider II 112, yes?
If so, it's not THAT big and not very heavy for a 1x12 combo.
I know. I own one.
As far as a soft case, just be sure to get something good and padded and be mindful that you have to be very careful when transporting the guitar anywhere.
I use a Godin bag for my Solidac. It's a very good quality gig bag and I'm careful enough with it to protect the guitar.

The FBV Express can be hauled in the back of the Spider II.
Again, that's what I do with mine; controller, cat5 cable and power cord for the amp all store nicely in the giant empty space of the Spider II.
Just don't poke a hole in the speaker and, hey, you can use the magnet to hold the FBV steady. :yep:

Its a Spider III 75 W, if I'm not mistaken, the Spider II 112 and Spider III 75W are relatively the same size, but its big enough for me have to carry with both hands while having my guitar with me, I'm only 15 y/o.

gtrdave 11-28-2007 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3111809)
Its a Spider III 75 W, if I'm not mistaken, the Spider II 112 and Spider III 75W are relatively the same size, but its big enough for me have to carry with both hands while having my guitar with me, I'm only 15 y/o.

meh...kids... :lol:

[old man voice]
Why, when I was YOUR age, I used to carry my Gibson Les Paul in one hand and my Peavey Mace in the other. Mind you, my LP is an '82 so it's one of the heavy ones and the Mace...oh, baby, the Peavey Mace was an amp among amps: 2 x 12" speakers w/ huge square magnets, 6 x 6L6GC power tubes, two on-board transformers for audio output (main and ex-cabinet), and a 4 button foot switch to control channels, reverb and built-in phase shifter.
And I carried that guitar and that amp by hand to my gigs. I didn't have my parents to drive me around and we were too poor to have me own a bike so I walked to gigs and rehearsals...in the snow...with no shoes...up hill...there and back.
[/old man]

Seriously, though...the SIII shouldn't be too heavy.
If you want to make things somewhat easy and efficient, get a gig bag with a good shoulder strap. That way you can hoist the guitar over your shoulder and carry the amp and accessories with your hands.

Get any doors with your feet. (trust me, it's a skill that you should learn...) :yep:

BillSPrestonEsq 11-28-2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave (Post 3111840)
meh...kids... :lol:

[old man voice]
Why, when I was YOUR age, I used to carry my Gibson Les Paul in one hand and my Peavey Mace in the other. Mind you, my LP is an '82 so it's one of the heavy ones and the Mace...oh, baby, the Peavey Mace was an amp among amps: 2 x 12" speakers w/ huge square magnets, 6 x 6L6GC power tubes, two on-board transformers for audio output (main and ex-cabinet), and a 4 button foot switch to control channels, reverb and built-in phase shifter.
And I carried that guitar and that amp by hand to my gigs. I didn't have my parents to drive me around and we were too poor to have me own a bike so I walked to gigs and rehearsals...in the snow...with no shoes...up hill...there and back.
[/old man]

Seriously, though...the SIII shouldn't be too heavy.
If you want to make things somewhat easy and efficient, get a gig bag with a good shoulder strap. That way you can hoist the guitar over your shoulder and carry the amp and accessories with your hands.

Get any doors with your feet. (trust me, it's a skill that you should learn...) :yep:

So pushups and weights would be the best solution here. And a hard case.

thesteve 11-28-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave (Post 3111840)

I think this is the whole reason he's looking at gig bags in the first place.

Rainer. 11-28-2007 07:37 PM

I carry my tube 1x12 on a luggage cart. It's cheap and effective.

Rock 'n Christ 11-29-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3111863)
I think this is the whole reason he's looking at gig bags in the first place.

yes, exactly. If only hard shells had shoulder straps..........................

As far as mastering the much-needed skill over opening doors with feet, I've got that down pretty good, keeping it open while going through it is the tricky part some times.

CDBongo 11-29-2007 09:19 PM

Hmm, I've caried my schecter c-1 classic into my church without a case or squat. Thats a pretty expensive guitar too, I know I shouldn't but if I'm careful It doesn't hurt it. I'm sure a gig bag would be a better way to go though.

gtrdave 11-30-2007 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBongo (Post 3112878)
Hmm, I've caried my schecter c-1 classic into my church without a case or squat. Thats a pretty expensive guitar too, I know I shouldn't but if I'm careful It doesn't hurt it. I'm sure a gig bag would be a better way to go though.

You're just asking for your guitar to get damaged by not using a case, imho.

Rock 'n Christ 11-30-2007 09:25 AM

Out of curiosity: To get Drop Bb from the Baritone, would you have to drop the low B to an A and capo on 1? Or is it something else/different?

I was discussing this whole 7-string/Baritone deal (even though I'm already 99% sure I'm getting the Baritone) with one of the guys who basically runs one of the bands I'm in, and he owns a 7-string, uses it for mostly Blues stuff. He said that if I dropped the low B to an A on the 7-string, then I'd be fine or something like that. Does anyone know what he was trying to get across?

P.S. His name is Kevin

thesteve 11-30-2007 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3113116)
Out of curiosity: To get Drop Bb from the Baritone, would you have to drop the low B to an A and capo on 1? Or is it something else/different?

yep.