Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Rock 'n Christ's Guitar Search (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t159031/)

gtrdave 11-20-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 3104887)
Once again, that would be redundant, the control board for your amp would be far more useful and would probably lend you better results.

Yes, the GT8 is best used as a stand-alone device when running direct to a mixer or possibly in front of a very clean, very neutral amplifier.

The Spider III is basically an amp that contains many of the effects and amp/cabinet models that something like the GT8 would already have so if you were to buy a GT8 and a Spider III, you'd be essentially buying the same thing twice in regards to effects, distortions, etc...whereas a FBV Express used with a Spider III would be a great combo as the FBV doesn't make any sounds or effects on it's own but it allows you to control them from within the Spider since they're already there.

CDBongo 11-20-2007 06:22 PM

Tally one more vote for the FBV Express over the GT8. I'd explain but I'd be beating a dead horse.

Rock 'n Christ 11-20-2007 06:29 PM

So the FBV will be a Wah pedal, a Volume pedal (which Ive been told I need), and itll be able to switch channels from the board, along with a chromatic tuner. Is there anything else it will do that Im not aware of? Will it change the sound any way?

thesteve 11-20-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3105087)
So the FBV will be a Wah pedal, a Volume pedal (which Ive been told I need), and itll be able to switch channels from the board, along with a chromatic tuner. Is there anything else it will do that Im not aware of? Will it change the sound any way?

the FBV Express is a wah/volume (according to how your settings are) with the chromatic tuner built-in and the ability to switch between four presets and tap tempo. It's definitely a good unit to have in order to get the most out of your amp.

It will not change the sound at all. It only takes the preset buttons on the face of the amp and puts them at your feet for much easier access.

Rock 'n Christ 11-21-2007 09:47 AM

POD products

I was looking at the FBV Express, Shortboard, and Footboard when I came across the POD XT and X3 Live. I'm seeing the same Chan. A/B/C/D footswitches that I see on the FBV's along with the volume/wah pedal, so are the POD products basically just better FBV's? If so, I'll definetly look into them.

thesteve 11-21-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3105450)
I was looking at the FBV Express, Shortboard, and Footboard when I came across the POD XT and X3 Live. I'm seeing the same Chan. A/B/C/D footswitches that I see on the FBV's along with the volume/wah pedal, so are the POD products basically just better FBV's? If so, I'll definetly look into them.

They're completely different products with a similar interface. the FBVs are just controllers. The POD XTL and X3L are both standalone units that include digital preamps, effects and cabinet simulation as well as their own switches. To compare them to the FBVs is absurd.

gtrdave 11-21-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3105462)
They're completely different products with a similar interface. the FBVs are just controllers. The POD XTL and X3L are both standalone units that include digital preamps, effects and cabinet simulation as well as their own switches. To compare them to the FBVs is absurd.

Basically, think of the FBV Express and Short/Longboards as controllers for Line 6 amplifiers...they're useless without a Line 6 combo amp...and think of the FloorPOD, FloorPOD Pro, XTLive and XT3 as a combination amp and controller minus the cabinet, power amplifier and speaker...they're used instead of a Line 6 combo amp.

Rock 'n Christ 11-21-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave (Post 3105475)
Basically, think of the FBV Express and Short/Longboards as controllers for Line 6 amplifiers...they're useless without a Line 6 combo amp...and think of the FloorPOD, FloorPOD Pro, XTLive and XT3 as a combination amp and controller minus the cabinet, power amplifier and speaker...they're used instead of a Line 6 combo amp.

So, are you saying that I shouldnt look at the POD products to go with my amp? I know that'll probably have more features than my amp does, but should I look into it?

thesteve 11-21-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3105570)
So, are you saying that I shouldnt look at the POD products to go with my amp? I know that'll probably have more features than my amp does, but should I look into it?

i think if you had a different amp they would be worth looking in to, but with the amp you already have, you should be looking to actually use the amp to its fullest extent. If you were to get a POD unit, your amp would likely be reduced to being a neutral tone generator.

CDBongo 11-21-2007 12:24 PM

NO, this is a bit of a stretch, but I'd say that the POD modelers do just about the same thing as the Spider amps do, no sence in buying the same thing twice, total overkill. The FBV controller essentially gives you pod capabilities with your amp. The controller itself does nothing besides change paramaters on your spider amp where as the pod is the thing creating the tone, which is why the controller is cheaper than the pod pedals. Since you already have the amp it would be totally pointless to buy a pod pedal.

gtrdave 11-21-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3105570)

No. Your Spider III is basically a POD in combo amp form.
Buying one would be like using a POD with a POD...

Rock 'n Christ 11-21-2007 06:43 PM

I'm leaving to GC right now, so I'll post back with what I try out.

Any suggestions?

Rock 'n Christ 11-21-2007 08:47 PM

got back from GC, I wasnt able to find out much.

They didnt have the Hellraiser in stock, so I had too play a Schecter Gryffon 7-string (half the price of the HR) and they didnt have the amp that I got from them (Line 6 Spider III 75W) in stock either. I did make a decision on stomp boxes, Im not getting one. I am getting a headache from all this thinking thats been going on these past few days :sadyep:.

I will probably end up getting a FBV shortboard or footboard, but they are $300-$400, and my grandfather probably wont spend over $100. the FBV Express is $100, but if I got a FBV pedal, itd be one of the bigger ones. Does anyone have an idea of what I could get for $100 (music/guitar-wise)?

thesteve 11-22-2007 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n Christ (Post 3106016)
I will probably end up getting a FBV shortboard or footboard, but they are $300-$400, and my grandfather probably wont spend over $100. the FBV Express is $100, but if I got a FBV pedal, itd be one of the bigger ones. Does anyone have an idea of what I could get for $100 (music/guitar-wise)?

honestly, for the Spiders, I would just go with the FBV Express...of course maybe you'll use more than four presets in a set, but for me, I think four switches would be plenty enough. I don't think I just justify spending more for a controller than I did for an amplifier. If I was going to spend $300+ I'd probably go with an XTL (if I wanted a multi-FX) or something else (maybe save it towards an amp more geared for the sound I want).

Rock 'n Christ 11-22-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 3106263)
honestly, for the Spiders, I would just go with the FBV Express...of course maybe you'll use more than four presets in a set, but for me, I think four switches would be plenty enough. I don't think I just justify spending more for a controller than I did for an amplifier. If I was going to spend $300+ I'd probably go with an XTL (if I wanted a multi-FX) or something else (maybe save it towards an amp more geared for the sound I want).

So youre saying that I should go for the XTL over one of the bigger FBV (besides the Express)?