Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   B (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f307/)
-   -   Becoming The Archetype - The Physics of Fire (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t151111/)

SwitchfootRulz! 06-02-2007 11:43 AM

Becoming The Archetype - The Physics of Fire

Tracks
1. Epoch of War
2. Immolation
3. Autopsy
4. The Great Fall
5. Nocturne (instrumental)
6. The Monolith
7. Construct and Collapse
8. Endure
9. Fire Made Flest
10. Second Death
11. The Balance of Eternity

earlessdog 06-04-2007 09:03 PM

i am still going to give this more listening before i say anything more, i don't want to give a review then change my mind

DKelly 06-04-2007 09:42 PM

Well, I'll give a review then! :D

Easy 10 out of 10 from me. Amazing CD from the boys. However, there are some definite differences from the last album.

This album is much more progressive and artistic than the last one(there are quite a few piano/synth/strings sections in the songs). The lead vocalist has wandered away from the extremely low growls on the last album. Also, there are also some clean vocals as well.

Even if this sounds like the band is taking a step backward, they're not. Instead, they're taking a huge step forward. The clean vocals fit the songs perfectly, the music has gotten even more pure metal, and the solos have become more technical and now are set up in much more extended sections than on the last album. The music also has gotten much more complex, especially the drum work and the guitar riffs. The lyrics have also improved as well, with four songs telling a story. The band doesn't play as many instrumentals this time around, but the one instrumental that is played is as good as any of the ones on the last album.

Overall, this is a very strong metal album, with strong musical performances from every band member. I'd recommend this to fans of Terminate Damnation in a heartbeat. The band may have made some changes to their style, but in the end, they were made for the better.

earlessdog 06-05-2007 06:32 PM

I'm still not ready to give a review, but it won't be getting a 10 from me, maybe an 8 possibly 9.

schecter777 06-23-2007 01:05 PM

i've heard "Autopsy," "Immolation," "Epoch of War," and "Endure," as well as clips of all the others. From what I've heard, this is a big step forward for BTA.

akaukal 06-27-2007 05:41 PM

Am I totally weird? I didn't enjoy Terminate Damnation at all, but I find this album almost incredible. 9 for me. I absolutely love Autopsy.

Adam K 06-27-2007 07:50 PM

Incredible 10. There are differences from the last album, but none in quality.

earlessdog 07-06-2007 09:25 PM

plus the vocals are definetly limited on this one, I mean like no low growls, it mostly seems to all be the same pitch.

earlessdog 08-29-2007 10:11 PM

still havn't voted

Mr. claw 09-09-2007 02:31 PM

8....7.75...somewhere in there...

Vocals = Excellent. One of the best out there.

Clean vocals = Shoot me please.

Drums = Excellent. (No, DKelly, he's not better than Greiner, he just pumps his double bass really fast. :P )

Guitar = I love the rythym sections.

Guitar Solos = I hate every one. The guitarist is all, "im speed pickz!11!!". The solos on AILD's new cd are far more creative and diverse. The solos on the cd really take away from the experience for me.

The songs don't sound the same...but all of the solos within them do. Bah.

Judging from that, should I still get Terminate Damnation?

earlessdog 09-09-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. claw (Post 3035907)
8....7.75...somewhere in there...

Vocals = Excellent. One of the best out there.

Clean vocals = Shoot me please.

Drums = Excellent. (No, DKelly, he's not better than Greiner, he just pumps his double bass really fast. :P )

Guitar = I love the rythym sections.

Guitar Solos = I hate every one. The guitarist is all, "im speed pickz!11!!". The solos on AILD's new cd are far more creative and diverse. The solos on the cd really take away from the experience for me.

The songs don't sound the same...but all of the solos within them do. Bah.

Judging from that, should I still get Terminate Damnation?

interesting, and i am with you on the solos thing. The solos all sound similar, for every one, its the same thing, slow down the temp and its all the same fast soloing, in a cleanish tone. Hes an amazing guitarist, but it gets old.

And, yes, you should still get Terminate Damnation, easily one of my favorite metal albums of all time.
TD is original, they had a diff lead gutiarist, so the solos he odes (not as many) are WAY different. They are unique, aggressive, original.
TD is so versatile, they have a classical song, a balladish song (Elegy) thats in like 4 parts, and to me, that album is way better. The songs are more different from each other, the vocal has a WAY wider range.

So i definetly suggest you get TD, i think you'll love it a lot more. Its an amazing cd. Its not trying to be so 'perfect' whcih sometimes i feel like TPOF tried to do. I dunno.

DKelly 09-09-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. claw (Post 3035907)

It's not that his playing style is so complex and hard to play as it is that he(especially on Terminate Damnation) performs so many unique minor rhythms in addition to the main one. At least that's what I heard, maybe I'm wrong. But, to me, he seems just as complex and talented(if not more) than Matt Greiner, just in a different way.

Mr. claw 09-09-2007 09:55 PM

I would almost be willing to call them equals. Though, in my opinion, as a drummer (I'm not that good, but I know what's hard), I would say moving the hands is harder than pumping the double bass. Greiner uses his hands more, from what I've heard.

But I don't have TD, so I'll wait and see...Duck is pretty crazy.

normajean777 09-10-2007 10:31 PM

Its just too bad they didn't have any really deep growls on this. I've been listening to like Despised Icon and Job for a Cowboy, and am like 'man I wish BTA was this hard'.

Mr. claw 09-11-2007 05:00 AM

I think JFAC is overkill in the vocal category.