Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   My Journey In Guitar Making. (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t145949/)

Ax 02-21-2007 10:28 PM

My Journey In Guitar Making.

Okay, so... I'm thinking a Warmoth build. I wanna build it and I want it to be different. So far I'm thinking that I'm gonna get a pre-routed blank and shape it myself, (I have the tools), using a pattern that I get either from a trace or the internet, and edit a little for flare...

Then I'm gonna use a Tele bolt on neck with Rosewood fretboard from warmoth...

Tele trem.

HSH design with coil splitters...

Oh, and I almost forgot, instead of a pickup selector, I'm gonna put 3 on/off switches, and Use a metal nut, for the sake of something new and different.

switchfootprson 02-21-2007 10:29 PM

Sweet. I hope it turns out good.

ChihliDog 02-21-2007 10:39 PM

Warmoth can actually be sort of expensive, and of course they're ALWAYS bolt on.

But if they're you're thing, then rock on! And I hope you love your final product

Congrats on the new job!

Ax 02-21-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChihliDog (Post 2812800)
Warmoth can actually be sort of expensive, and of course they're ALWAYS bolt on.

But if they're you're thing, then rock on! And I hope you love your final product

Congrats on the new job!

Well, I am getting a blank body, and they do have set necks, but I like the tele bolt neck, they're not that bad, in fact, they're pretty great.

ChihliDog 02-21-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2812825)
Well, I am getting a blank body, and they do have set necks, but I like the tele bolt neck, they're not that bad, in fact, they're pretty great.

Oh, I didnt mean to imply that they were bad at ALL. I've only ever heard GREAT stuff about Warmoth parts. Sorry if you mistook me. Everything I have ever read about people who put stuff together with their parts has been GREAT. I was surprised at the total cost of some of the builds I read about, but nobody regretted it for a second.

I've never seen an option of a set-neck with Warmoth. I thought about doing a Warmoth last year when I had a few bucks to burn on a guitar, and I also considered a Carvin, PRS, etc. I ended up going with my Schecter, which cost a LOT less money, but I've always liked the thought of building my own custom.

Got a link to a set-neck Warmoth option? I seriously may try it!

Thanks!

gg7 02-21-2007 11:26 PM

Congrats on the new job!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2812777)

and Use a metal nut, for the sake of something new and different.

Actually, Danelectro has done that...so it's not new. It is uncommon though.

Warmoth makes good stuff. This sounds like a cool project.

Ax 02-21-2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg7 (Post 2812860)
Congrats on the new job!

Actually, Danelectro has done that...so it's not new. It is uncommon though.

Warmoth makes good stuff. This sounds like a cool project.

Oh I know... I'm just talking about with all the options I'm doing, It will be one of a kind... I mean, I'm not doing anything innovative, there's just not another guitar out there with all the same options... I even stole my on/off idea from Brian may.

gg7 02-21-2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2812865)
Oh I know... I'm just talking about with all the options I'm doing, It will be one of a kind... I mean, I'm not doing anything innovative, there's just not another guitar out there with all the same options... I even stole my on/off idea from Brian may.

Oh okay. I'm all for that. I always did the same thing with my project guitars. There's just something about having a one of a kind guitar that really floats my boat.
I look forward to seeing yours when you complete it.

Ax 02-21-2007 11:58 PM

I gotta wait for a few paychecks first... I started this thread so I can pan out my ideas and get some feedback...

RubberChipmunk 02-22-2007 09:39 AM

youre going to build me one too, right? seriously though, that sounds awesome.

TimGuitar05 02-22-2007 09:46 AM

Sounds like your just going to be building a Godin. Good Luck!

guitargirlterri 02-22-2007 01:18 PM

you know you can use that clear plastic stuff u use on food to give ur guitar that marble effect if you're using airbrushes

Ax 02-22-2007 07:39 PM

I'm thinking a jet black with a pearl inlay graphic of a lily.

CheshireCat 02-22-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2812777)
. . . and Use a metal nut, for the sake of something new and different.

A metal nut would be a royal pain, and is best avoided (like the plague), unless your guitar tech is a total savant with putting in brass nuts.

Instead, get an Earvana Nut. You'll still be plenty different, but it will actually work for you instead of against you.

Also, if you are doing HSH, I have a great wiring schematic for you that will give you just about every combo you can think of, short of the compound combos.

Chesh

Ax 02-22-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 2813949)
A metal nut would be a royal pain, and is best avoided (like the plague), unless your guitar tech is a total savant with putting in brass nuts.

Instead, get an Earvana Nut. You'll still be plenty different, but it will actually work for you instead of against you.

Also, if you are doing HSH, I have a great wiring schematic for you that will give you just about every combo you can think of, short of the compound combos.

Chesh

Like I said, I'm going with what warmoth offers because I'm not super-skilled. I wouldn't know how to put the Earvana in and I would like to see your HSH schematics, but I am still probably gonna go with my on/off idea...

CheshireCat 02-23-2007 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2813990)
Like I said, I'm going with what warmoth offers because I'm not super-skilled. I wouldn't know how to put the Earvana in and I would like to see your HSH schematics, but I am still probably gonna go with my on/off idea...

Well, fortunately, Warmoth offers a prep, and one that's well worth it.

I'm working on the lastest version of the UUSS. Here it is so far.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...Fun/UUSS5z.jpg

Ax 02-25-2007 10:31 PM

Thanks anyways... but I thought I had the job and didn't... so it's gonna be a while... I'm still probably gonna do a build once I get a job, but I think I have a lead on some mahogany that I can get for free (a large amount too, thick and long) so I'll probably shape it out of that...

Ax 03-06-2007 10:10 PM

Anybody know how much wood I'm gonna need for this build? How thick should I buy my wood? 4 inches? Is that too thick or not thick enough? I have no idea...

CheshireCat 03-06-2007 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2827446)
Anybody know how much wood I'm gonna need for this build? How thick should I buy my wood? 4 inches? Is that too thick or not thick enough? I have no idea...

4" for what?

Ax 03-06-2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 2827541)
4" for what?

Thickness of the body...

</hr>

Okay so... I'm gonna build my guitar mostly from scratch (yeah I'm gonna buy tuners and electronics, but the neck and the body are all me...). The problem is that I have no idea where to start... I wanna do a Neck-Thru design with a mahogany body for a rich, warm, sustaining tone... I actually don't know what kind of trem I'm gonna use... The pickups are gonna be in a HSS design and I think I'm gonna use a telecaster bridge pickup for the middle part... I'm still going with the on/offs and there wont be coil splitters, I've decided that I just don't need them... I also don't know where to find designs and templates for the neck (as in fret placement etc.)...

CheshireCat 03-07-2007 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2827552)
Thickness of the body . . .

Ah. Well, let me put it to you this way . . . unless you were doing some sort of fancy jazzbox, even 2" is way thick. 1.5" to 1.75" will be fine.

Ax 03-07-2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 2827624)
Ah. Well, let me put it to you this way . . . unless you were doing some sort of fancy jazzbox, even 2" is way thick. 1.5" to 1.75" will be fine.

Okay cool... SO all I really need is some mahogany boards... the only thing is, I don't know how to shape the neck other than a lot of sanding.. I will probably need something thicker for the neck though...

CheshireCat 03-07-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2827819)
Okay cool... SO all I really need is some mahogany boards... the only thing is, I don't know how to shape the neck other than a lot of sanding.. I will probably need something thicker for the neck though...

Okay, if you've never built a neck before, or are unsure of how to shape it (and, believe me, you do NOT want to sand it into shape), then I would strongly suggest you order the neck from Warmoth.

Ax 03-08-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 2827874)
Okay, if you've never built a neck before, or are unsure of how to shape it (and, believe me, you do NOT want to sand it into shape), then I would strongly suggest you order the neck from Warmoth.

I'm making a neck through... I thought about a lathe but it'd be too hard... I think it'd be easy with the right tool...

BillSPrestonEsq 03-08-2007 11:59 PM

carvin makes a neck through neck...

Reno Rattler 03-09-2007 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 2830177)
carvin makes a neck through neck...

I think Carvin is becoming the "42" of the guitar forum.

BillSPrestonEsq 03-09-2007 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el cabong (Post 2830217)
I think Carvin is becoming the "42" of the guitar forum.

actually, I am going with warmoth... Do you know any other place that sells a neck through?

Ax 03-09-2007 11:16 PM

Warmoth doesn't sell a Through-Neck... Besides, I wanna make mine... It's half the fun...plus my cousin's best friend works at a lumber yard, so wood comes at cost or (if he can pull it off) some scrap pieces (which would work because I don't need the full planks) would be free... He says they have a lot of mahogany and rosewood... (I'm thinking rosewood neck with Mahogany wings...) but I will buy the fingerboard, I don't wanna have to calculate the radius on that...

-edit-

To Chesh, everywhere I know says to use a belt sander to shape the neck... I'm going to do this...

BillSPrestonEsq 03-10-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2831350)
Warmoth doesn't sell a Through-Neck... Besides, I wanna make mine... It's half the fun...plus my cousin's best friend works at a lumber yard, so wood comes at cost or (if he can pull it off) some scrap pieces (which would work because I don't need the full planks) would be free... He says they have a lot of mahogany and rosewood... (I'm thinking rosewood neck with Mahogany wings...) but I will buy the fingerboard, I don't wanna have to calculate the radius on that...

-edit-

To Chesh, everywhere I know says to use a belt sander to shape the neck... I'm going to do this...

ummm, yes they do, I looked into making one, but strewmac has one too, it is just more expensive with no real advantage. http://www.carvin.com/products/singl...=NT6&CID=GTR/K

May I suggest that you not play with rosewood? It is quite toxic.

Ax 03-10-2007 07:00 AM

I know that Carvin does... Warmoth, as far as i can figure out, only offers bolt on necks... I've looked through their site a good bit... besides, it's a lot cheaper than buying a neck... If Stewmac has one for a good price (I honestly haven't looked) I might buy one, but 200 is too much, plus there is the advantage of not having to calculate the neck angle...

*Edit*

Oh yeah, I did look at stewmac I don't want a maple neck, the wood is just too brightly toned... and I will probably wear gloves and a mask anyways... (I always wear gloves when I'm working with power tools and my allergies would kill me if I breathed that much sawdust... i'm not too worried about it...)

presbystrat 03-10-2007 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2831483)
besides, it's a lot cheaper than buying a neck...

I don't think you're going to be able to build a neck the same quality as a Warmoth for less money. With a belt sander? :whoa: The tooling alone to make a quality neck would cost you more than just buying one. I highly suggest looking on Ebay for used necks; that would be the best way to save money. Have you read through this thread?

BillSPrestonEsq 03-10-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2831483)
I know that Carvin does... Warmoth, as far as i can figure out, only offers bolt on necks... I've looked through their site a good bit... besides, it's a lot cheaper than buying a neck... If Stewmac has one for a good price (I honestly haven't looked) I might buy one, but 200 is too much, plus there is the advantage of not having to calculate the neck angle...

*Edit*

Oh yeah, I did look at stewmac I don't want a maple neck, the wood is just too brightly toned... and I will probably wear gloves and a mask anyways... (I always wear gloves when I'm working with power tools and my allergies would kill me if I breathed that much sawdust... i'm not too worried about it...)

You should be a bit more worried than you are about rosewood....

It can kill you literally. I would look seriously at what form of mask you have before working on it. Skin contact with the dust of it can even be pretty nasty, and leave you with some nasty pain. Its one of those woods you definitely need to look into safety with.

When my brother was iin Junior college, one of the guys in the wood shop died from rosewood toxicity. The man was a pro at working with wood. I mention that because the stuff is pretty notorious and potentially lethal. Mahogany would be a safer choice for the neck.

I generated a tiny amount of rosewood dust once. I was wearing a mask, but... It was enough to give me a horrible rash and make my tongue swell to where I couldn't close my mouth, and that was just from accidentally sanding the side of a rosewood fretboard.

Rainer. 03-10-2007 07:03 PM

Wow. I'm glad the fretboard I scalloped wasn't rosewood.

RainCaster 03-10-2007 07:16 PM

There are a number of swamp woods high on the tox list. I use Wenge, Cocabolo and Rosewood in my shop. When I am working those woods the kids are not allowed in. I use a dust collector, and wear a mask, coveralls & latex gloves.

Some woods rate high as skin irritants, and others as breathing irritants. I once had a great link to a page full of that stuff from some on line woodworking e'zine. Be very careful, please.

As to the notion of building your own neck- there is some wise advice given here. Just buy one from a master.

Ax 03-10-2007 10:35 PM

I was thinking a full on gas mask, my brother has one because he's an insulator... also... I have access to more tools that you'd think...

My family is full of what you people would call Rednecks... Jeff Foxworthy and I would probably just call most of them "Good ol' boys"... (blue collars)... My uncle has been making shelves, cabinets, tables, and other furniture for years... I have access to Planes, Drill Presses, Band Saws, Skill Saws, Table Saws, Lathes, Belt sanders, RO sanders... and a car grade airbrush... (my aunt's second husband has a small car painting business and says that all I have to do is find an appropriate finish...)

I might buy a neck off ebay... but 200 bucks would take all the fun out of this project... and I don't want to use the same type of wood for the neck as the body...

CheshireCat 03-11-2007 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2831350)

Eh, yeah, and where and what exactly is "everywhere"? Got a link or addy for "everywhere"?

That advice offered "everywhere" isn't on any of the many guitar forums I've seen, and I've been to many, many of which were modded by working luthiers, and I've never seen a luthier take a rectangular piece of maple or rosewood with a fretboard attached to it and beltsand it into shape. I'm sure many rank amateurs would do that, but not a pro . . . with the exception of some eccentric hobbiest turned pro.

Also, a "lathe"!?! :whoa:

Can it be done that way? Sure. Can you walk everywhere you go instead of drive or even ride a bike? Sure. Can you individually count out several thousand crystals of salt into a stew recipe instead of using a teaspoon? Sure.

Most professional luthiers I know (and I know many) will at least spring $10 for a curfoil from Lowe's, if not actually using drawknives (the oldschoolers) or rasps. That would cut your backshaping time down by at least 80%. I don't know what your time is worth, but I don't feel like spending 8 hours in front of a beltsander when half an hour with a curfoil would suffice.

Incidentally, I don't know if I detected a somewhat perhaps petulant tone to your post, but I experience a slightly cocky tone to your post. Before you decide to be so dismissive of my suggestions, consider, I've built guitars . . . have you?

Also, to echo what BSPE said, and coupled to what you suggested, I don't really think you want to spend an afternoon beltsanding a solid plank of rosewood into half it's size in a poorly ventilated area.

If you decide to go that route, it's been nice knowing ya.

(Incidentally, the gas mask is a nice idea, but at some point you have to take it off. Plan on being hosed down by a family member after each sanding session?)

Ax 03-11-2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 2832236)
Eh, yeah, and where and what exactly is "everywhere"? Got a link or addy for "everywhere"?

Mostly the Project Guitar forums.

Quote:

That advice offered "everywhere" isn't on any of the many guitar forums I've seen, and I've been to many, many of which were modded by working luthiers, and I've never seen a luthier take a rectangular piece of maple or rosewood with a fretboard attached to it and beltsand it into shape. I'm sure many rank amateurs would do that, but not a pro . . . with the exception of some eccentric hobbiest turned pro.
... Umm... I do have the sense to cut it into some sort of shape before I sand it and then attach the fretboard later...

Quote:

Also, a "lathe"!?! :whoa:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathe_(tool)

Quote:

Most professional luthiers I know (and I know many) will at least spring $10 for a curfoil from Lowe's, if not actually using drawknives (the oldschoolers) or rasps. That would cut your backshaping time down by at least 80%. I don't know what your time is worth, but I don't feel like spending 8 hours in front of a beltsander when half an hour with a curfoil would suffice.
Curfoil? If these exist then I probably have access to one... but according to google, they don't... Sure you got the spelling right?

Quote:

Incidentally, I don't know if I detected a somewhat perhaps petulant tone to your post, but I experience a slightly cocky tone to your post. Before you decide to be so dismissive of my suggestions, consider, I've built guitars . . . have you?
You know, I wasn't being cocky, I was just telling you what I wanted to do, but since I get that same feeling from you (and after reading that little tidbit I'm sure that's the way you intended it to sound) then you might have picked up a bit of cockiness in this paragraph.

Quote:

Also, to echo what BSPE said, and coupled to what you suggested, I don't really think you want to spend an afternoon beltsanding a solid plank of rosewood into half it's size in a poorly ventilated area.
Think room with big fans sucking air out of one side and blowing it in on the other... It's temperature/moisture/etc. controlled...

Quote:

If you decide to go that route, it's been nice knowing ya.

(Incidentally, the gas mask is a nice idea, but at some point you have to take it off. Plan on being hosed down by a family member after each sanding session?)
Give me a little more credit than that.

BillSPrestonEsq 03-11-2007 08:42 AM

the other thing is think contact allergies with rosewood dust as well. I had a severe rash that blistered up on my arms. I am just warning because that stuff is nasty to work with, and that rash hurt like you wouldn't believe. Thats why I have made a personal policy of no rosewood that I work with. Ever.

Ax 03-11-2007 10:09 AM

I could go with maple... but a rosewood fretboard will happen... Plus maple is readily available... I could literally walk into my back yard and cut a maple tree...

BillSPrestonEsq 03-11-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2832314)
I could go with maple... but a rosewood fretboard will happen... Plus maple is readily available... I could literally walk into my back yard and cut a maple tree...

What about some of the non toxic exotics for a fretboard. Purpleheart maybe?

Ax 03-11-2007 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 2832495)

How to they sound and look? I mean... gotta go with a tonewood...

BillSPrestonEsq 03-11-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2832718)
How to they sound and look? I mean... gotta go with a tonewood...

Here, I have an idea, I know you do not want to buy a warmoth neck, but... their site has descriptions of numerous woods.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...itar_neckwoods

That link should take you to a brief description of a bunch of different woods you can use for a neck. Personally, limba or Korina sounds tasty to me.

Gustin 03-11-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 2832495)

Purpleheart isn't "non toxic", but it has less potential to harm you than a more toxic wood like rosewood. I have heard of several people having problems with it (almost as bad as some of the above mentioned rosewood reactions). It's just not as common. No matter what wood you work with, you should still wear at least a mask and eye protection (and if you're using power tools make sure you wear earplugs! Nothing worse than not being able to actually hear that instrument you spent so much time on).

BillSPrestonEsq 03-11-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crstngtrplyr77 (Post 2832863)
Purpleheart isn't "non toxic", but it has less potential to harm you than a more toxic wood like rosewood. I have heard of several people having problems with it (almost as bad as some of the above mentioned rosewood reactions). It's just not as common. No matter what wood you work with, you should still wear at least a mask and eye protection (and if you're using power tools make sure you wear earplugs! Nothing worse than not being able to actually hear that instrument you spent so much time on).

yeah, I hear it has the same toxicity as mahogany. (I did look up tox sheets as I own quite a bit of it.) There is considered to be a mild toxicity for even ash and alder. However, rosewood is just wicked nasty, I just remember not being able to close my mouth because my tongue swelled so big. That is a supremely creepy feeling, and having known of deaths from it, it creeps me out all the more.

I don't think of something that's dust may cause mild lung irritation as being toxic but I suppose it does have a toxicity. I always wear masks though for woodwork. Lets say my reactions to plant toxins are rather anomolous. I have a wide range of sensitivities and immunities.

Ax 03-11-2007 08:47 PM

I look at the Warmoth page a lot... That's where I first got the idea to use rosewood (I knew it was used for fingerboards but not entire neck assemblies...) but I saw the Indian Rosewood, and according to warmoth, it doesn't require a finish so it can't be that toxic... See, I want something warm and sustaining.... Honestly... I'm not out to find something exotic... I'm looking at wood quality... I actually have thought about it, and I might get maple because it's not near as heavy as some of the other woods I've been looking at and the mahogany body will be heavy enough.... which would mean that I could buy a neck... but I'm not spending 200 bucks on one...

BillSPrestonEsq 03-11-2007 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2832889)
I look at the Warmoth page a lot... That's where I first got the idea to use rosewood (I knew it was used for fingerboards but not entire neck assemblies...) but I saw the Indian Rosewood, and according to warmoth, it doesn't require a finish so it can't be that toxic... See, I want something warm and sustaining.... Honestly... I'm not out to find something exotic... I'm looking at wood quality... I actually have thought about it, and I might get maple because it's not near as heavy as some of the other woods I've been looking at and the mahogany body will be heavy enough.... which would mean that I could buy a neck... but I'm not spending 200 bucks on one...

In dust form, rosewood is very toxic, thats the thing. In solid form its fine, but the dust can kill you, dead. Some of the warmoth closeouts run ~125 btw. Thats about as cheap as I see for a neck anywhere, and believe me, I have been looking for several months as I get a neck for my birthday from my wife...

Ax 03-11-2007 11:09 PM

yes, but as far as I can tell warmoth doesn't sell neck-thrus

Ryan Freeland 03-11-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2833073)

Carvin does! (:D)

BillSPrestonEsq 03-11-2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2833073)

They do not. Stewmac and Carvin and a couple smaller, more expensive places are it that I have found after months of looking.

I am basically arguing that you need to check the toxicity of the woods so you do not end up dead or injured. make a neck if you so choose, just be careful you know what the exotic woods can and will do to you. I wished somebody had warned me before I had a horrible several days I couldn't eat, breathe or sleep hardly at all without tremendous pain.

Just check your woods. Thats what I am saying. FYI, I think a mahogany neck with a mahogany body looks outstanding. (Its what my schechter has) Or maybe you could make the neck of mahogany and use a wood with similar tonal qualities for the wings...

presbystrat 03-12-2007 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 2833064)
In dust form, rosewood is very toxic, thats the thing. In solid form its fine, but the dust can kill you, dead. Some of the warmoth closeouts run ~125 btw. Thats about as cheap as I see for a neck anywhere, and believe me, I have been looking for several months as I get a neck for my birthday from my wife...

I think we should clarify that Rosewood is not toxic in the sense of being poisonous but toxic in the sense of being highly allergenic. This might actually make it more dangerous. Individuals reactions might vary from no reaction at all to death from anaphylactic shock. If the OP has a sensitivity to Rosewood he probably should not work with it at all because even if he uses a respirator, he may still come into contact with enough of it to cause a dangerous allergic reaction. Of course the OP has no way of knowing if he will be allergic to the Rosewood. He may have even have worked with it before without a problem and still develope a sensitivity to it later. Any kind of swelling around the mouth, tongue or throat can be a sign of an anaphylactic reaction and warrants an immediate trip to the emergency room. It might not be a bad idea to have an epi pen handy in the woodshop. Anaphylactic reactions can get out of control fairly rapidly. I have a cousin who was taking allergy shots at home and may have died from anaphylactic shock had her husband not been proficient in CPR. Most of the time allergies can be just annoying but sometimes they can be deadly. :sadyep: