Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   My Journey In Guitar Making. (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t145949/)

Ax 04-15-2007 07:57 PM

I wish I could put a digital system in my guitar...

Oh yeah... I'm buying a pickup winder...

And to Bill or Rainer. or Steve... can you rename this to "The Foxglove Project"?

BillSPrestonEsq 04-15-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2874717)
I wish I could put a digital system in my guitar...

Oh yeah... I'm buying a pickup winder...

digital? or piezo? or both? You could put a digital system in with your pickups with MIDI if you so choose. I prefer piezo personally.

Ax 04-15-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 2874727)
digital? or piezo? or both? You could put a digital system in with your pickups with MIDI if you so choose. I prefer piezo personally.

What would a Piezo system do?

BillSPrestonEsq 04-15-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2874733)
What would a Piezo system do?

accoustic sounds out of your electric. Practical use in a hard band? Think the intro to If these scars could speak by zao. To play that song correctly, one would have to switch accoustic to electric quickly. In church I use it routinely. Petrucci also uses a Piezo system IIRC.

Ax 04-15-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 2874740)
accoustic sounds out of your electric. Practical use in a hard band? Think the intro to If these scars could speak by zao. To play that song correctly, one would have to switch accoustic to electric quickly. In church I use it routinely. Petrucci also uses a Piezo system IIRC.

Well... I just looked at the baggs system... would like to put in the X-Bridge... I can't find a price...

BillSPrestonEsq 04-15-2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2874773)
Well... I just looked at the baggs system... would like to put in the X-Bridge... I can't find a price...

I got my x bridge for about $100 a long time ago. I need to install it on the guitar I built. I will be running it to an altogether seperate output.

Ax 04-15-2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 2874779)
I got my x bridge for about $100 a long time ago. I need to install it on the guitar I built. I will be running it to an altogether seperate output.

That's just about as cheap as a normal bridge...

Ax 04-19-2007 03:41 PM

I'm thinking about making the neck out of hardrock maple anyways... I'm looking to start selling customs in the future so it just makes sense to make my own necks rather than order them from Carvin every time... I will probably buy the fretboards, but the neck I'm gonna make myself... <to thesteve and mods, I made a new post so that it would bump it, otherwise I would have just edited it... you can merge it if you like...>

BillSPrestonEsq 04-19-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2881262)
I'm thinking about making the neck out of hardrock maple anyways... I'm looking to start selling customs in the future so it just makes sense to make my own necks rather than order them from Carvin every time... I will probably buy the fretboards, but the neck I'm gonna make myself... <to thesteve and mods, I made a new post so that it would bump it, otherwise I would have just edited it... you can merge it if you like...>

Personally, I would start without the variable of neck building if you actually plan on playing this thing.

From what I hear, about your first 25 necks will really suck. Thats what the guy I know who sometimes makes necks for Carvin told me. If it were me, I would get a neck on this one, or get a bundle of scrap pine to shape and mount a truss rod in and make the neck, get proficient at the basics of it and then try maple.

Ax 04-19-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 2881268)
Personally, I would start without the variable of neck building if you actually plan on playing this thing.

From what I hear, about your first 25 necks will really suck. Thats what the guy I know who sometimes makes necks for Carvin told me. If it were me, I would get a neck on this one, or get a bundle of scrap pine to shape and mount a truss rod in and make the neck, get proficient at the basics of it and then try maple.

<s>Well, I plan on making my own necks... So, I think it would be a worthwhile investment to shape a few out of pine first.</s>

I just ordered my neck from Carvin. What, I'm going to do, though, after this, is make a few bolt necks that fit my rogue for practice, and Justin (our band's bassist) will get my first mahogany neck.

BTW, the one I ordered from Carvin is the one with the blank headstock, I'm planning on making it look a lot like the headstock on my artcore.

I'm also thinking about a bigsby tail.

ririzarry 04-22-2007 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by presbystrat (Post 2833208)
I think we should clarify that Rosewood is not toxic in the sense of being poisonous but toxic in the sense of being highly allergenic. This might actually make it more dangerous. Individuals reactions might vary from no reaction at all to death from anaphylactic shock. If the OP has a sensitivity to Rosewood he probably should not work with it at all because even if he uses a respirator, he may still come into contact with enough of it to cause a dangerous allergic reaction. Of course the OP has no way of knowing if he will be allergic to the Rosewood. He may have even have worked with it before without a problem and still develope a sensitivity to it later. Any kind of swelling around the mouth, tongue or throat can be a sign of an anaphylactic reaction and warrants an immediate trip to the emergency room. It might not be a bad idea to have an epi pen handy in the woodshop. Anaphylactic reactions can get out of control fairly rapidly. I have a cousin who was taking allergy shots at home and may have died from anaphylactic shock had her husband not been proficient in CPR. Most of the time allergies can be just annoying but sometimes they can be deadly. :sadyep:

+1 Knowing the nature of the stuff you're working with is a big deal. Boat builders, for example, oftentimes expose themselves to epoxy resins. A person can react instantly or develop a sensitivity over time that results in a reaction that's triggered by even the slightest exposure.

Minimize your exposure. Use a good cartridge mask (not one of those flimsy paper ones) and where possible cover up as skin contact can also result in reaction.

Regards,

Robert

Ax 04-22-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ririzarry (Post 2884585)
+1 Knowing the nature of the stuff you're working with is a big deal. Boat builders, for example, oftentimes expose themselves to epoxy resins. A person can react instantly or develop a sensitivity over time that results in a reaction that's triggered by even the slightest exposure.

Minimize your exposure. Use a good cartridge mask (not one of those flimsy paper ones) and where possible cover up as skin contact can also result in reaction.

Regards,

Robert

I'm gonna be using an epoxy and epoxy by definition means there will be resin present. (I've used the stuff before though). I'm using it to fill the grain of my purpleheart. And I think this $200 dollar mask here is a bit less flimsy than one of those paper things you were talking about... ;)

Ax 05-14-2007 09:58 AM

Update time:

Still no neck... I just called Carvin and it's still in production... I have no idea on when it will be shipped. The guy is supposed to call me back with an eta.

I have right now: 6 foot of Purpleheart wood, Epoxy for filling the grains, almost all the tools I will need (save a Suform Plane and I think I'm gonna have to get a new soldering gun because mine is broke), and I have a pickup winder.

Next time I get paid i'm going to order 44ga wire and 3 ceramic magnets and two humbucker bobbins and other various parts for my pickups... only thing is that I have a lot of bills stacking up and I don't know when my next paycheck comes in.

Still on my shopping list:
Tuners
Straplocks
Bigsby trem
Nitrocellulose Lacquer
switches
input jacks
wires
pickup parts
knobs

I think that's everything... I hope I'm not forgetting anything... but for now... that's all I can think of...

thesteve 05-14-2007 10:01 AM

you're going to want a soldering iron, not a soldering gun. From what I understand, soldering guns work on an electro-magnetic principle that can do a number on pickup magnets.

also irons are alot cheaper.

Ax 05-14-2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 2916886)
you're going to want a soldering iron, not a soldering gun. From what I understand, soldering guns work on an electro-magnetic principle that can do a number on pickup magnets.

also irons are alot cheaper.

I have an iron right now... but it needs new tips...