Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   My Journey In Guitar Making. (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t145949/)

Ax 03-24-2007 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 2845953)
I'm a bit confused...are you talking about using both a Vox Deacy RI in addition to a treble booster and a gutted AC30TBX? From what I understood, the Deacy was just something he recorded through and his distortion was all pure amp + TB.I realize that the amp presby linked to is a modern BM RI. From looking at it, it looks like it removes all of the mod work that needs to be done. Brian May's modifications have been well documented from what I can tell, and it appears that the AC30BM is a pretty accurate clone of his stage amps. The only major difference I can see between the two is that the BM RI has a built-in treble booster...

also, I don't know if this was a typo, but I'm pretty sure May used a SSS config...three Tri-Sonic pickups. At least that's what everything I've read tells me.


I'm not looking to have this rig in the next year or even two or three (the way things look fincancially)... I just want to incorporate a sound that's closer to May in my band's music... I am gonna buy the Deacy clone and use it as an effect with my B52 (in fact, from what I can tell, that's what the Deacy clone was designed for...), and the Trebel Boost should get me really close to what I'm looking for... The TBX will come when I have a bit more money and just wanna have something to screw around with and play Queen covers in my bedroom...

And you're right about the Tri-Sonics... I don't know why but I was always under the impression that he wound his own and one was a bucker.... But, according to wikipedia, you're right...

thesteve 03-24-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2846817)
he TBX will come when I have a bit more money and just wanna have something to screw around with and play Queen covers in my bedroom...

considering that a bulk of May's tone probably relied on the fact that he dimed his AC30s, I hope you have a very large bedroom and alot of money invested in ear protection and other decibel killing devices.

Ax 03-24-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 2846879)
considering that a bulk of May's tone probably relied on the fact that he dimed his AC30s, I hope you have a very large bedroom and alot of money invested in ear protection and other decibel killing devices.

LOL... If I ever have the extra cash to track one of those down, pay a tech to mod it (because I'd be too afraid to mess it up), and then have enough time to perfectly dial in my tone... You can be sure I'll be very rich and senile by then...

And I think what I may do is get two Tri-Sonics for the Neck and Mid and then get a Bucker from Kent Armstrong that would blend well with the Tri-Sonics because I don't wanna be a total copy of May just wanna incorporate May-inspired tones... I just wonder how much of his tone came from phase inversion because I don't know how to wire that, but I can find out...

thesteve 03-24-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2847171)
And I think what I may do is get two Tri-Sonics for the Neck and Mid and then get a Bucker from Kent Armstrong that would blend well with the Tri-Sonics because I don't wanna be a total copy of May just wanna incorporate May-inspired tones... I just wonder how much of his tone came from phase inversion because I don't know how to wire that, but I can find out...

one of the sites I was looking at I believe had the wiring diagrams for the Red Special, or at least something similar...it was this site: http://www.brianmayworld.com/redspecial.htm
Wiring phase inversion shouldn't be hard. IIRC, all it involves is running multiple pickups with the wires crossed. I realize that's not the best explanation though. In my experience, a single coil pickup sounds the same regardless of its phase until it is combined with another pickup, making the two pickups out of phase. This should give you a starting idea of what goes on: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...sgl_coils.html

Ax 03-24-2007 10:25 PM

how useful do you think that'd be to me?

thesteve 03-24-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2847402)
how useful do you think that'd be to me?

I've never been a big fan of the reverse phased sound. On my Jagstang, it's a single coil out of phase with a humbucker, and it sounds okay at best...I wired my Strat with the mid positions out of phase once and hated it though.

however, your mileage may vary.

Ax 03-24-2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 2847405)
I've never been a big fan of the reverse phased sound. On my Jagstang, it's a single coil out of phase with a humbucker, and it sounds okay at best...I wired my Strat with the mid positions out of phase once and hated it though.

however, your mileage may vary.

how will it help me in sounding May-esque while soloing?

More specifically, I wanna sound like he does in 'Killer Queen'... or the first solo in Rhapsody...

thesteve 03-24-2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2847410)
how will it help me in sounding May-esque while soloing?

More specifically, I wanna sound like he does in 'Killer Queen'... or the first solo in Rhapsody...

i really lhave no clue. with a three-way switch on each pickup, it's not that hard to do a phasing switch though, so it might be something to just try out and see if it's worth it.

According to the Digitech sounds listing for the BM Red Special Pedal, the 1st solo on "Bohemian Rhapsody" was achieved with the neck and middle pickups out of phase.

Ax 03-25-2007 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 2847476)
i really lhave no clue. with a three-way switch on each pickup, it's not that hard to do a phasing switch though, so it might be something to just try out and see if it's worth it.

According to the Digitech sounds listing for the BM Red Special Pedal, the 1st solo on "Bohemian Rhapsody" was achieved with the neck and middle pickups out of phase.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanna hear... Okay... so a threeway on each pup... and since he got it with neck and mid then I'm gonna put a humbucker on my bridge for my high gain stuff...

now, when you say out of phase, I only turn one out and leave the other in right?

BillSPrestonEsq 03-25-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2847570)
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanna hear... Okay... so a threeway on each pup... and since he got it with neck and mid then I'm gonna put a humbucker on my bridge for my high gain stuff...

now, when you say out of phase, I only turn one out and leave the other in right?

think of it as a reversal of phase. If 1 is out of phase with the other, they are out. However, if you reverse both, they will be back in phase.

Ax 03-26-2007 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 2847712)
think of it as a reversal of phase. If 1 is out of phase with the other, they are out. However, if you reverse both, they will be back in phase.

Right, that's what I thought, I just was not sure...

presbystrat 03-26-2007 10:23 AM

You might want to check out this webpage about combining pickups. Some good info there I think.

Ax 03-26-2007 11:32 AM

I'm gonna wire mine in series... I've stated that before... and have phase switches... and on/offs... I know it will work... it's been done before...

presbystrat 03-26-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2848674)
I'm gonna wire mine in series... I've stated that before... and have phase switches... and on/offs... I know it will work... it's been done before...

You could also wire it up to switch between series and parallel.

Ax 03-26-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by presbystrat (Post 2848821)
You could also wire it up to switch between series and parallel.

Too much... I only want 3 switches... I have my 3 switches... no more...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.



vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2