Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   My Journey In Guitar Making. (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t145949/)

CheshireCat 03-17-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ieatdirt (Post 2839634)
Definitely. However, I hijacked this thread. We should get back on subject.

Of course, and by no means should anyone go to this thread.

Ax 03-18-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 2839654)
Of course, and by no means should anyone go to this thread.

No more CPF...

Well... I'm getting wood for my B-Day and my girlfriend is buying me tools... Also I'm getting good hours at Wal-Mart so I'll have the neck in a matter of weeks...

CheshireCat 03-19-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2840976)
No more CPF...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2840976)
Well... I'm getting wood for my B-Day and my girlfriend is buying me tools... Also I'm getting good hours at Wal-Mart so I'll have the neck in a matter of weeks...

Excellent. I look forward to seeing it.

Incidentally, make sure your g/f has your screen-name and password so she can post posthumously on your behalf, if the need should arise.

:lol: ;)

Ax 03-20-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 2842279)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Excellent. I look forward to seeing it.

Incidentally, make sure your g/f has your screen-name and password so she can post posthumously on your behalf, if the need should arise.

:lol: ;)

Did you not pick up that I decided against Rosewood...

Well, I'm in Marietta right now and there's a lumber yard across town that has purpleheart in stock so I'm gonna run over there and pick it up after I get out of class...

-EDIT-

I have the wood... it's absolutely gorgeous... I took some pics but because of the lighting and the camera you really can't see the color so it's pointless to post them... But I bought a 6 foot plank, it's 2 inches thick (I'm gonna shave the .3 inches down to match the neck after I glue it...), and it's 8 inches wide... I bought extra in case of an accident though I don't see that being a big problem... I have not decided on a body style yet... It wont be a replica of any body though, it might look something like a different guitar but believe me when I say that it will be different enough to call it my own.

CheshireCat 03-20-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2842615)
Did you not pick up that I decided against Rosewood...

Number one, that was a joke. Number two, no, because I've been busy with my new job and have been trying to keep up with a lot of threads. Also, many people choose to mix purpleheart with a lot of other exotics as well, ergo, I wasn't clear on whether or not Rosewood was out of the running.

Besides, Rosewood isn't the only toxic exotic.

Ax 03-20-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 2842996)
Number one, that was a joke. Number two, no, because I've been busy with my new job and have been trying to keep up with a lot of threads. Also, many people choose to mix purpleheart with a lot of other exotics as well, ergo, I wasn't clear on whether or not Rosewood was out of the running.

Besides, Rosewood isn't the only toxic exotic.

Purpleheart and the Carvin neck... The Carvin neck is maple with ebony... It's still the Thru-Body neck... I have decided to use chrome hardware because Gold tarnishes... I have a local supply of Pots, tuners, and most hardware... Gonna have to order the tail-piece and I'm not sure what i'm going with yet... I thought about a thru-body stringing with a tune-o-matic, but my Artcore has a tune-o-matic... I don't know... I don't want a floyd or anything like a strat trem... I'm thinking I may use a Tele tailpiece...

I've also decided to go with HSH pickup config... I'm gonna get a threeway switch and use it for the mid and bridge positions and an on/off for the neck... I do this because I hardly ever use the neck position and am only gonna use it for the all on combo.... also gonna have an on/off for the whole guitar because there are a lot of songs where I play part of it and not the whole thing so I'll have the guitar hanging at my side while I sing... And I don't want feedback while it hangs there...

BillSPrestonEsq 03-20-2007 08:12 PM

dumb question, but your feedback comment is making me ask. Are you planning on chambering the body?

Ryan Freeland 03-20-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2843304)
Purpleheart and the Carvin neck... The Carvin neck is maple with ebony... It's still the Thru-Body neck... I have decided to use chrome hardware because Gold tarnishes... I have a local supply of Pots, tuners, and most hardware... Gonna have to order the tail-piece and I'm not sure what i'm going with yet... I thought about a thru-body stringing with a tune-o-matic, but my Artcore has a tune-o-matic... I don't know... I don't want a floyd or anything like a strat trem... I'm thinking I may use a Tele tailpiece...

I'd personally go with a maple fingerboard, but that's just me. :D As for the bridge, I'd go with the string-thru body.

Ax 03-20-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 2843328)
dumb question, but your feedback comment is making me ask. Are you planning on chambering the body?

No, I have a hollow now... I don't want another... but still sometime if the guitar sits and and is jolted it starts resonating and can eventually cause feedback... I don't wanna do this... Feedback Bad... feedback very bad... at least when It's not wanted....

and Ryan, I don't like Maple fretboards personally, but I can see how it looks great on your guitar... With the purple... I'm thinking that the ebony that the carvin comes with is perfect for me...

BillSPrestonEsq 03-20-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2843370)
No, I have a hollow now... I don't want another... but still sometime if the guitar sits and and is jolted it starts resonating and can eventually cause feedback... I don't wanna do this... Feedback Bad... feedback very bad... at least when It's not wanted....

and Ryan, I don't like Maple fretboards personally, but I can see how it looks great on your guitar... With the purple... I'm thinking that the ebony that the carvin comes with is perfect for me...

Yeah, I am going chambered for my warmoth. (Not really hollow) My tele with the new pickups feeds back pretty bad if you leave it be.

Though I generally play pretty high gain stuff even in church, so feedback is an interesting issue.

Ryan Freeland 03-20-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2843370)

That's cool. It's all subjective. What kind of inlays? I can't wait to see it. Take pictars while you're building it. ;)

Ax 03-20-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 2843378)
Though I generally play pretty high gain stuff

I hear dat!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Freeland (Post 2843382)
That's cool. It's all subjective. What kind of inlays? I can't wait to see it. Take pictars while you're building it. ;)

I'm gonna go with the standard inlays that come on the neck... but as for on the guitar itself, I'm going with sort of a Celtic weave up the seams of the wings...

-Edit-

So it is seriously time to start talking about pickups...

I want something that is gonna help me get Brian May inspired tones... When it all comes down, he's my favorite guitarist of all time.. my project after this guitar is gonna be a trebel boost pedal that is a clone of the one he used through A Day at the Races. I plan on getting a Brian May amp (the Deacy clone) to use as distortion... and eventually a 70's era AC30TBX and do a Brian May mod...

presbystrat 03-23-2007 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2843409)
So it is seriously time to start talking about pickups...

I want something that is gonna help me get Brian May inspired tones... When it all comes down, he's my favorite guitarist of all time.. my project after this guitar is gonna be a trebel boost pedal that is a clone of the one he used through A Day at the Races. I plan on getting a Brian May amp (the Deacy clone) to use as distortion... and eventually a 70's era AC30TBX and do a Brian May mod...

So I guess you are going to want some of these. I don't know anything about the tri-sonic pickups. I wonder if some other RW/RP overwound singles would get close to the sound with the proper wiring.

I don't suppose you could afford one of these for an amp? Only 500 made. Handwired. Wow.

Then you would also have to learn to play like Brian May and that would be the hardest task of all.

Ax 03-23-2007 07:18 AM

That amp is not what May uses and is very little like the one he uses... he uses a 70's model AC30TBX and he rips all but the normal channel out...

And I know May used a HSS config... so...

I wonder how much of his tone comes from his phase switches and his series wiring... I may do this if possible...

thesteve 03-23-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2845635)

I'm a bit confused...are you talking about using both a Vox Deacy RI in addition to a treble booster and a gutted AC30TBX? From what I understood, the Deacy was just something he recorded through and his distortion was all pure amp + TB.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2845854)
That amp is not what May uses and is very little like the one he uses... he uses a 70's model AC30TBX and he rips all but the normal channel out...

And I know May used a HSS config... so...

I wonder how much of his tone comes from his phase switches and his series wiring... I may do this if possible...

I realize that the amp presby linked to is a modern BM RI. From looking at it, it looks like it removes all of the mod work that needs to be done. Brian May's modifications have been well documented from what I can tell, and it appears that the AC30BM is a pretty accurate clone of his stage amps. The only major difference I can see between the two is that the BM RI has a built-in treble booster...

also, I don't know if this was a typo, but I'm pretty sure May used a SSS config...three Tri-Sonic pickups. At least that's what everything I've read tells me.