Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   My Journey In Guitar Making. (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t145949/)

CheshireCat 02-23-2007 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2813990)
Like I said, I'm going with what warmoth offers because I'm not super-skilled. I wouldn't know how to put the Earvana in and I would like to see your HSH schematics, but I am still probably gonna go with my on/off idea...

Well, fortunately, Warmoth offers a prep, and one that's well worth it.

I'm working on the lastest version of the UUSS. Here it is so far.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...Fun/UUSS5z.jpg

Ax 02-25-2007 10:31 PM

Thanks anyways... but I thought I had the job and didn't... so it's gonna be a while... I'm still probably gonna do a build once I get a job, but I think I have a lead on some mahogany that I can get for free (a large amount too, thick and long) so I'll probably shape it out of that...

Ax 03-06-2007 10:10 PM

Anybody know how much wood I'm gonna need for this build? How thick should I buy my wood? 4 inches? Is that too thick or not thick enough? I have no idea...

CheshireCat 03-06-2007 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2827446)
Anybody know how much wood I'm gonna need for this build? How thick should I buy my wood? 4 inches? Is that too thick or not thick enough? I have no idea...

4" for what?

Ax 03-06-2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 2827541)
4" for what?

Thickness of the body...

</hr>

Okay so... I'm gonna build my guitar mostly from scratch (yeah I'm gonna buy tuners and electronics, but the neck and the body are all me...). The problem is that I have no idea where to start... I wanna do a Neck-Thru design with a mahogany body for a rich, warm, sustaining tone... I actually don't know what kind of trem I'm gonna use... The pickups are gonna be in a HSS design and I think I'm gonna use a telecaster bridge pickup for the middle part... I'm still going with the on/offs and there wont be coil splitters, I've decided that I just don't need them... I also don't know where to find designs and templates for the neck (as in fret placement etc.)...

CheshireCat 03-07-2007 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2827552)
Thickness of the body . . .

Ah. Well, let me put it to you this way . . . unless you were doing some sort of fancy jazzbox, even 2" is way thick. 1.5" to 1.75" will be fine.

Ax 03-07-2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 2827624)
Ah. Well, let me put it to you this way . . . unless you were doing some sort of fancy jazzbox, even 2" is way thick. 1.5" to 1.75" will be fine.

Okay cool... SO all I really need is some mahogany boards... the only thing is, I don't know how to shape the neck other than a lot of sanding.. I will probably need something thicker for the neck though...

CheshireCat 03-07-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2827819)
Okay cool... SO all I really need is some mahogany boards... the only thing is, I don't know how to shape the neck other than a lot of sanding.. I will probably need something thicker for the neck though...

Okay, if you've never built a neck before, or are unsure of how to shape it (and, believe me, you do NOT want to sand it into shape), then I would strongly suggest you order the neck from Warmoth.

Ax 03-08-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 2827874)
Okay, if you've never built a neck before, or are unsure of how to shape it (and, believe me, you do NOT want to sand it into shape), then I would strongly suggest you order the neck from Warmoth.

I'm making a neck through... I thought about a lathe but it'd be too hard... I think it'd be easy with the right tool...

BillSPrestonEsq 03-08-2007 11:59 PM

carvin makes a neck through neck...

Reno Rattler 03-09-2007 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq (Post 2830177)
carvin makes a neck through neck...

I think Carvin is becoming the "42" of the guitar forum.

BillSPrestonEsq 03-09-2007 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el cabong (Post 2830217)
I think Carvin is becoming the "42" of the guitar forum.

actually, I am going with warmoth... Do you know any other place that sells a neck through?

Ax 03-09-2007 11:16 PM

Warmoth doesn't sell a Through-Neck... Besides, I wanna make mine... It's half the fun...plus my cousin's best friend works at a lumber yard, so wood comes at cost or (if he can pull it off) some scrap pieces (which would work because I don't need the full planks) would be free... He says they have a lot of mahogany and rosewood... (I'm thinking rosewood neck with Mahogany wings...) but I will buy the fingerboard, I don't wanna have to calculate the radius on that...

-edit-

To Chesh, everywhere I know says to use a belt sander to shape the neck... I'm going to do this...

BillSPrestonEsq 03-10-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2831350)
Warmoth doesn't sell a Through-Neck... Besides, I wanna make mine... It's half the fun...plus my cousin's best friend works at a lumber yard, so wood comes at cost or (if he can pull it off) some scrap pieces (which would work because I don't need the full planks) would be free... He says they have a lot of mahogany and rosewood... (I'm thinking rosewood neck with Mahogany wings...) but I will buy the fingerboard, I don't wanna have to calculate the radius on that...

-edit-

To Chesh, everywhere I know says to use a belt sander to shape the neck... I'm going to do this...

ummm, yes they do, I looked into making one, but strewmac has one too, it is just more expensive with no real advantage. http://www.carvin.com/products/singl...=NT6&CID=GTR/K

May I suggest that you not play with rosewood? It is quite toxic.

Ax 03-10-2007 07:00 AM

I know that Carvin does... Warmoth, as far as i can figure out, only offers bolt on necks... I've looked through their site a good bit... besides, it's a lot cheaper than buying a neck... If Stewmac has one for a good price (I honestly haven't looked) I might buy one, but 200 is too much, plus there is the advantage of not having to calculate the neck angle...

*Edit*

Oh yeah, I did look at stewmac I don't want a maple neck, the wood is just too brightly toned... and I will probably wear gloves and a mask anyways... (I always wear gloves when I'm working with power tools and my allergies would kill me if I breathed that much sawdust... i'm not too worried about it...)