Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   My Journey In Guitar Making. (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t145949/)

Ax 02-21-2007 10:28 PM

My Journey In Guitar Making.

Okay, so... I'm thinking a Warmoth build. I wanna build it and I want it to be different. So far I'm thinking that I'm gonna get a pre-routed blank and shape it myself, (I have the tools), using a pattern that I get either from a trace or the internet, and edit a little for flare...

Then I'm gonna use a Tele bolt on neck with Rosewood fretboard from warmoth...

Tele trem.

HSH design with coil splitters...

Oh, and I almost forgot, instead of a pickup selector, I'm gonna put 3 on/off switches, and Use a metal nut, for the sake of something new and different.

switchfootprson 02-21-2007 10:29 PM

Sweet. I hope it turns out good.

ChihliDog 02-21-2007 10:39 PM

Warmoth can actually be sort of expensive, and of course they're ALWAYS bolt on.

But if they're you're thing, then rock on! And I hope you love your final product

Congrats on the new job!

Ax 02-21-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChihliDog (Post 2812800)
Warmoth can actually be sort of expensive, and of course they're ALWAYS bolt on.

But if they're you're thing, then rock on! And I hope you love your final product

Congrats on the new job!

Well, I am getting a blank body, and they do have set necks, but I like the tele bolt neck, they're not that bad, in fact, they're pretty great.

ChihliDog 02-21-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2812825)
Well, I am getting a blank body, and they do have set necks, but I like the tele bolt neck, they're not that bad, in fact, they're pretty great.

Oh, I didnt mean to imply that they were bad at ALL. I've only ever heard GREAT stuff about Warmoth parts. Sorry if you mistook me. Everything I have ever read about people who put stuff together with their parts has been GREAT. I was surprised at the total cost of some of the builds I read about, but nobody regretted it for a second.

I've never seen an option of a set-neck with Warmoth. I thought about doing a Warmoth last year when I had a few bucks to burn on a guitar, and I also considered a Carvin, PRS, etc. I ended up going with my Schecter, which cost a LOT less money, but I've always liked the thought of building my own custom.

Got a link to a set-neck Warmoth option? I seriously may try it!

Thanks!

gg7 02-21-2007 11:26 PM

Congrats on the new job!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2812777)

and Use a metal nut, for the sake of something new and different.

Actually, Danelectro has done that...so it's not new. It is uncommon though.

Warmoth makes good stuff. This sounds like a cool project.

Ax 02-21-2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg7 (Post 2812860)
Congrats on the new job!

Actually, Danelectro has done that...so it's not new. It is uncommon though.

Warmoth makes good stuff. This sounds like a cool project.

Oh I know... I'm just talking about with all the options I'm doing, It will be one of a kind... I mean, I'm not doing anything innovative, there's just not another guitar out there with all the same options... I even stole my on/off idea from Brian may.

gg7 02-21-2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2812865)
Oh I know... I'm just talking about with all the options I'm doing, It will be one of a kind... I mean, I'm not doing anything innovative, there's just not another guitar out there with all the same options... I even stole my on/off idea from Brian may.

Oh okay. I'm all for that. I always did the same thing with my project guitars. There's just something about having a one of a kind guitar that really floats my boat.
I look forward to seeing yours when you complete it.

Ax 02-21-2007 11:58 PM

I gotta wait for a few paychecks first... I started this thread so I can pan out my ideas and get some feedback...

RubberChipmunk 02-22-2007 09:39 AM

youre going to build me one too, right? seriously though, that sounds awesome.

TimGuitar05 02-22-2007 09:46 AM

Sounds like your just going to be building a Godin. Good Luck!

guitargirlterri 02-22-2007 01:18 PM

you know you can use that clear plastic stuff u use on food to give ur guitar that marble effect if you're using airbrushes

Ax 02-22-2007 07:39 PM

I'm thinking a jet black with a pearl inlay graphic of a lily.

CheshireCat 02-22-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AXguitar (Post 2812777)
. . . and Use a metal nut, for the sake of something new and different.

A metal nut would be a royal pain, and is best avoided (like the plague), unless your guitar tech is a total savant with putting in brass nuts.

Instead, get an Earvana Nut. You'll still be plenty different, but it will actually work for you instead of against you.

Also, if you are doing HSH, I have a great wiring schematic for you that will give you just about every combo you can think of, short of the compound combos.

Chesh

Ax 02-22-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat (Post 2813949)
A metal nut would be a royal pain, and is best avoided (like the plague), unless your guitar tech is a total savant with putting in brass nuts.

Instead, get an Earvana Nut. You'll still be plenty different, but it will actually work for you instead of against you.

Also, if you are doing HSH, I have a great wiring schematic for you that will give you just about every combo you can think of, short of the compound combos.

Chesh

Like I said, I'm going with what warmoth offers because I'm not super-skilled. I wouldn't know how to put the Earvana in and I would like to see your HSH schematics, but I am still probably gonna go with my on/off idea...