Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   God always delivers!!! (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t145532/)

davef264 02-15-2007 03:19 AM

God always delivers!!!

I was wondering how I could get a new acoustic guitar. I also wanted a new electric. Couldn't do both. Asked God for His will, and I would do it.

Music store ran a sale on 2-11-07. Buy the first guitar at list price, get the second for a penny.

Got the acoustic I was wanting, plus I got the Epi Les Paul I was also looking at. Both just happened to be on the displays still.

Kinda funny how that happens when you have faith!!!

You can see the 2 new guitars on my avatar. The black acoustic is my new Martin. The one below is my new Les Paul. The white electric is my old Squier Strat.

Praise be to Him!!!

WideAwake 02-15-2007 07:01 AM

Congrats! Now make some crazy joyful noise for him. Loudly.

Soap 02-15-2007 07:13 AM

He always comes through. Always.

irtrogdor 02-15-2007 09:21 AM

dude that rocks! i'm sorta having a similar experience myself, i wanted to get some fx pedals (mainly a wah, volume, and digital delay), but i have like $30. and no job. but then my dad was cleaning out the storage shed and found my old surfboard! its worth like $250! i don't surf anymore, and i might have already foundsomeone that will buy it :D God rocks!

presbystrat 02-15-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irtrogdor (Post 2805038)
dude that rocks! i'm sorta having a similar experience myself, i wanted to get some fx pedals (mainly a wah, volume, and digital delay), but i have like $30. and no job. but then my dad was cleaning out the storage shed and found my old surfboard! its worth like $250! i don't surf anymore, and i might have already foundsomeone that will buy it :D God rocks!

Yup, I've financed most of my equipment purchases with stuff I sold on Ebay that I no longer needed. I find God always provides a way for real needs. Of course not everything I think I need is a real need.

Random:Dice 02-15-2007 10:40 AM

man...lucky you, i should try that sometime!

thesteve 02-15-2007 11:01 AM

Do you have any idea how much money you actually saved over buying each guitar at the regular selling price vs. list + $.01? What acoustic did you get and which model Epi LP is it?

davef264 02-17-2007 03:09 AM

I had shopped around for the best prices on both.

Essentially, I saved around $800 buying the first at list and the 2nd for a penny.

In a way, with the $$$ I saved, now God has also provided a way for a new amp!!!

The acoustic is the Martin 000CXE Black. It is their wooden braced, composite reinforced acoustic. I was leery because I have played a couple of "synthetic" materials on percussion instruments, and they lost so much tone. Not this one. Martin has hit it on the head. Still the great Martin sound, but a more rugged shell and affordable price.

The Epi LP is just the Standard model. Dual pickups. Antique burst design.
May not be the top of the line LP, but I can't tell the difference between it and the exact same Gibson. At least not yet!!

Thanks for the ?'s Steve!
I love to talk God, Guitars, and Music!!!

presbystrat 02-17-2007 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davef264 (Post 2807277)
I had shopped around for the best prices on both.

Essentially, I saved around $800 buying the first at list and the 2nd for a penny.

In a way, with the $$$ I saved, now God has also provided a way for a new amp!!!

The acoustic is the Martin 000CXE Black. It is their wooden braced, composite reinforced acoustic. I was leery because I have played a couple of "synthetic" materials on percussion instruments, and they lost so much tone. Not this one. Martin has hit it on the head. Still the great Martin sound, but a more rugged shell and affordable price.

The Epi LP is just the Standard model. Dual pickups. Antique burst design.
May not be the top of the line LP, but I can't tell the difference between it and the exact same Gibson. At least not yet!!

The Martin sells for $649.99 and the Epi sells for $499.99 at Musician's Friend (most dealers will meet MF prices if you ask). The list on the Martin is $999. The list on the Epi is $832. If you purchased both for $999.01, you saved $150.97 by my calculations. Not bad actually but not exactly like getting two guitars for the price of one. The best way to get two for the price of one is to buy used.

BTW: The Martin is made with HPL (high pressure laminate); it is not a composite. HPL is basically wood fibers that are pressed together. They do sound amazingly good for what they are constructed of. They do have that Martin signature sound though I think it is a little muddier than the one's with solid wood. I believe the secret is in the bracing and quality construction.

Hope I didn't burst your bubble. Sounds like you got a decent deal. May your guitars serve you and God well.

davef264 02-17-2007 04:39 AM

Presby

No offense to Musicians Friend, I have bought lots of acessories from there. However, I am not willing to sacrifice time waiting and the potential of the instrument being flawed and not seeing it before I lay down money. On more than one occasion, I have had to return acessories and essentially waited for the initial delivery, the return delivery, and the third delivery. I know MF will back up their products, but to me, time is money. If I had no need for it immediately, sure I can order, wait, and see. If they have it in stock. If not, wait a little longer.

I may not have saved as much if I had shopped around endlessly, which I did in physical music stores btw, and I am sure that someone, somewhere could have saved me more money.

But isn't it almost better to not question the works of God? He knew my heart, and He provided. Enough said. No arguing.

thesteve 02-17-2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davef264 (Post 2807289)
Presby

No offense to Musicians Friend, I have bought lots of acessories from there. However, I am not willing to sacrifice time waiting and the potential of the instrument being flawed and not seeing it before I lay down money. On more than one occasion, I have had to return acessories and essentially waited for the initial delivery, the return delivery, and the third delivery. I know MF will back up their products, but to me, time is money. If I had no need for it immediately, sure I can order, wait, and see. If they have it in stock. If not, wait a little longer.

I may not have saved as much if I had shopped around endlessly, which I did in physical music stores btw, and I am sure that someone, somewhere could have saved me more money.

But isn't it almost better to not question the works of God? He knew my heart, and He provided. Enough said. No arguing.

I don't really think Presby was trying to point anything out except that you didn't save quite as much as you thought you did. He just used MF prices as a reference because most music stores will match MF prices (or go even lower if you push them). The regular price at just about any Guitar Center is the same as the price in MF (they're the same company after all)

You definitely did get a good deal...a savings of $150 is a good savings where I come from. He was just pointing out that you didn't really save $800 like you think you did.

presbystrat 02-17-2007 08:38 AM

^
l
l

What he said.

Anytime you can do better than MF in a store, you are doing well. Far be it from me to question the works of God. Looks like he has blessed you well. May you use these instruments to His glory.

Grace & Peace

irtrogdor 02-17-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by presbystrat (Post 2807312)
Anytime you can do better than MF in a store, you are doing well.

agreed. musicians friend is hard to beat, especially for international customers like me ;)

sam price 02-17-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davef264 (Post 2804918)
I was wondering how I could get a new acoustic guitar. I also wanted a new electric. Couldn't do both. Asked God for His will, and I would do it.

Music store ran a sale on 2-11-07. Buy the first guitar at list price, get the second for a penny.

Got the acoustic I was wanting, plus I got the Epi Les Paul I was also looking at. Both just happened to be on the displays still.

Kinda funny how that happens when you have faith!!!

You can see the 2 new guitars on my avatar. The black acoustic is my new Martin. The one below is my new Les Paul. The white electric is my old Squier Strat.

Praise be to Him!!!

hehe, you are looking at someone with a relatively low income, yet have fostered a desire to build guitars for MANY years....well, somehow I am building my 2nd.

I asked God, kinda light-heartedly if I could have a concert flute, and a week later, a pal gave me hers to keep as an attempt to downsize before she went off the University...did she know I needed one? NOT AT ALL!!

There have been times when He has said no. Especially a very recent guitar request!!!! :D

*disclaimer* I do give as well as recieve...*disclaimer*

guitarman531 02-17-2007 04:09 PM

I was convinced that I wasn't gonna be able to get any sort of electric guitar until after I graduated college. However, God literally prompted the former worship leader at my church to give me a Godin Montreal...

However, I had/still have a really lousy amp. I then told God (after I had owned the guitar for a while), "I'm using this guitar to serve you in church, but I have a really lousy amp. It would be great if you provided me with a decent amp so I could get the most out of the guitar you gave me".

About a month later, I was on CGR and noticed that a fellow CGRer (from my area) was parting with his slightly damaged POD XTL for an amazing price. Since it was still to expensive for a college kid to afford on his own, I went to bargain with my parents. In the end, I paid about $25 for the POD :D This unit has served me well (and is, in my situation, better than a big amp)

God is good!