Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Soloing compilation (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t141881/)

DaGeek 12-27-2006 05:02 PM

Soloing compilation

Hey, we've tried this before a few times, and I'm curious if anyone wants to try again. If the idea is liked, we can move forward and get a backtrack and stuff, but just wondering if this'll work, 'cause I'm interested in it again :).

Looking forward to your responses!

irtrogdor 12-27-2006 05:23 PM

what exactly is this thread for again? doesn't exactly explain itself.

DaGeek 12-27-2006 05:27 PM

I apologize;

I remember that, a while ago, there was a thread that was somewhat of a solo contest. If there was much interest, it'd be a vote on what type of backtrack it'd be, like, for example, blues. Then someone recorded or found a good one and everyone solo'd separately over it, so it was the same backtrack for 'em all. Then I guess there were judges, though that didn't work very well, if I recall correctly :lol:

irtrogdor 12-27-2006 10:05 PM

haha, sounds like something that would be hard to do on a forum. perhaps if it was really well organized, then it would be fun.

snizzle 12-27-2006 10:41 PM

...sounds cool. I remember glancing at the last one. I wouldn't mind jumping in this time..
-shane

irtrogdor 12-27-2006 10:49 PM

i have lots of backing tracks and stuff (good ones too) just tell me if you want a list of what i got (i need to dig it up)

nbfan 12-27-2006 11:14 PM

I can't solo for peanuts...and I've been playing since I was 7. http://www.themarque.org/smilie/noway.gif

ibanez_dude 12-28-2006 12:26 AM

I would definitely be interested. I vote for a relatively uptempo bluesy rock backing track, maybe something kinda rock n' roll ish

BlessedNinja 12-28-2006 12:37 AM

If it's metal...I'm in :)

Hellfighter 12-28-2006 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlessedNinja (Post 2730087)
If it's metal...I'm in :)

I would say go with a rock-ish backing track, kind of middle-of-the-road.

Why?

Well as far as soloing goes, if the track is not too metal, but not too blues, you can choose to play a metal solo, a blues solo, or something in the middle, and they could all fit the track, I think moderation is key because it allows the widest number of styles (so that you're not squeezing any would-be participants into a genre that doesn't fit them). Now obviously you can't judge a bluegrass solo vs. metal, but it allows more variety.

Now as far as the judging issue.
Any judge would be partial to a certain genre, and as impartial as you try to be, you're still going to hear the genre you lean towards. The other issue is what the solo will be evaluated on. What is more important, technical difficulty or tone?

I would argue tone; a simple solo, but with great tone is far, far more appealing to me thank the most impossible solo (technically) with poor tone (especially when it doesn't fit the song)

jamforchrist123 12-28-2006 11:47 AM

I would actually probably join in on this one if we did it

ibanez_dude 12-28-2006 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellfighter (Post 2730209)
I would say go with a rock-ish backing track, kind of middle-of-the-road.

Why?

Well as far as soloing goes, if the track is not too metal, but not too blues, you can choose to play a metal solo, a blues solo, or something in the middle, and they could all fit the track, I think moderation is key because it allows the widest number of styles (so that you're not squeezing any would-be participants into a genre that doesn't fit them). Now obviously you can't judge a bluegrass solo vs. metal, but it allows more variety.

Now as far as the judging issue.
Any judge would be partial to a certain genre, and as impartial as you try to be, you're still going to hear the genre you lean towards. The other issue is what the solo will be evaluated on. What is more important, technical difficulty or tone?

I would argue tone; a simple solo, but with great tone is far, far more appealing to me thank the most impossible solo (technically) with poor tone (especially when it doesn't fit the song)

I like your thinking, both about the backing tracks and the judging. I agree about the evaluation thing too, like you said a simple solo, but with great tone is far, far more appealing to me thank the most impossible solo (technically) with poor tone

snizzle 12-28-2006 12:06 PM

Define tone. Because (if you define it like I think you define it) then you are basing a lot of your judging criteria on the guitarists equipment instead of his ability.

Hellfighter 12-28-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibanez_dude (Post 2730299)
I like your thinking, both about the backing tracks and the judging. I agree about the evaluation thing too, like you said a simple solo, but with great tone is far, far more appealing to me thank the most impossible solo (technically) with poor tone

thanks...

Now I don't want it to look like I am against this thing, quite on the contrary, I do think it is a great idea. It could be very benificial for those who are still looking how to get certain sounds. If everyone keeps track of what they used (guitar, effects, and amp) then they can help those looking to find a sound like the one recorded.

On judging?
Well, it isn't a bad idea, but how is it beneficial to the community? I am sure it is beneficial to the winner, but to those who lose based upon their genre (I am not speaking of those who lose based upon still developing skill or tone) it can be rather discouraging, but the clips themselves would be very beneficial. Perhaps it would be really neat to stick with a single backing track but have separate genres of cometition. The competitor can choose where they want to enter their solo, whether it be an acoustic into the metal catagory, or a high gain PRS/Mesa combo into the acoustic catagory, but they must be judge not only on their skill and tone, but also how well their style fits the catagory. (IOW: put your clip in the correct catagory!) That way everyone can hear the genre they want AND compete within it as well as be judged against it.

Now it just comes down to finding a backing track and defining the catagories of genre.

Perhaps, if we wanted a 'championship' of sorts we could take the best solo from each genre and put them in a new thread w/ voting for the best, to allow popularity vote for #1, a neat idea anyway, in my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snizzle (Post 2730313)
Define tone. Because (if you define it like I think you define it) then you are basing a lot of your judging criteria on the guitarists equipment instead of his ability.

well tone is very simple, if you are recording with absolutely terrible stuff then chances are it isn't going to sound very good, but the same goes for expensive stuff. The other electric guitarist at my church has about a $15,000 rig, all included, his tone? Terrible, thin and ice-pic'ish. Would somebody like it? Probably, he does, haha, but would it do well in a 'blues' competition? ummmmm... no.

You can get great tone without expensive gear.

snizzle 12-28-2006 12:21 PM

Sounds good. For me, I know I'm looking forward to it just for ideas and such. To hear different people with different styles solo over the same track that I am is extremely beneficial. Often when I play, I play what I feel should go there w/out considering that there is a plathera of options that could fill the space. This is going to be really cool.