Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Myth: Best equipment = best tone (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t132303/)

gtrdave 08-02-2006 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RipVanWinkle (Post 2529394)
but thats just it.

Isnt myth based on truth...so we keep going around in circles on something we basically all agree on.

Exactly. The best gear will not deliver the best tone if the user doesn't have the ability/skills/technique to extract said best tone from said best gear.

Captain Dan 08-03-2006 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave (Post 2529823)
The best gear will not deliver the best tone if the user doesn't have the ability/skills/technique to extract said best tone from said best gear.

Yeah-that was decent-and at least for me-that one sentence nails down this whole gear=tone myth
:clap: (applause)

jamforchrist123 08-03-2006 08:40 PM

I think this thread should just be closed now, haha

gtrdave 08-04-2006 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamforchrist123 (Post 2531115)
I think this thread should just be closed now, haha

Is that myth or fact? ;)

Visirale 08-05-2006 07:49 AM

No, this isn't over.

Everyone agrees that the left side of the equation alone can not bring best tone.

In that case, how can we reach the right side of the equation (best tone)?

I think it is foolish to say "Best technique = best tone."

I have proposed that "Best technique + best gear = best tone."

It seems that the school of thought here is that "Best technique + crappy gear = best tone," and that's just not right.

thesteve 08-05-2006 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visirale (Post 2533168)
No, this isn't over.

Everyone agrees that the left side of the equation alone can not bring best tone.

In that case, how can we reach the right side of the equation (best tone)?

I think it is foolish to say "Best technique = best tone."

I have proposed that "Best technique + best gear = best tone."

It seems that the school of thought here is that "Best technique + crappy gear = best tone," and that's just not right.

isn't that what Dave said already when he said
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtrdave
The best gear will not deliver the best tone if the user doesn't have the ability/skills/technique to extract said best tone from said best gear.

a positive rendering of this quote would read, "The best gear will deliver the best tone if the user does have the ability/skills/technique to extract said best tone from said best gear."

I don't think anyone here is arguing that "best + crappy = best" but that "best skill + crappy gear > crappy skill + best gear"

MJ_Avalanche 08-05-2006 09:01 AM

Let's define crappy gear then.

DaGeek 08-05-2006 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ_Avalanche (Post 2533213)
Let's define crappy gear then.

$25 solid-state practice amp and a $75 no-name strat-copy-wannabe?

Hopeful 08-05-2006 11:17 AM

Maybe that's a downside to us having too much money available - we focus too much on the gear. It could become a crutch. I shudder to think what monster players some of the old blues players like Robert Johnson would be if they were in our place. That Strat pak would look real good to him. Or maybe he would prefer the old gut strings on that old beater guitar. Hey, I'm just as guilty as anyone else.

spyrotheleo 08-05-2006 11:45 AM

I think crappy gear is most solid state amps (except the high end moddling ones) and any guitar under $150 lol. Like they jay tursers that are made out of plywood lol.

Rainer. 08-05-2006 11:57 AM

Oh stop it with the under $150 guitar stuff.

I think most mass produced guitars have the capability to sound decent.

I'm still wondering how many of you people have actually heard my $100 Squier Bullet in action. And the only pickup modifications it's had is an MIM pickup in the neck, and a pickup from a $100 Epi Special in the bridge. Not high-end equipment at all.

I think I'll need to post more clips of that thing on here.

Hopeful 08-05-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer. (Post 2533388)
Oh stop it with the under $150 guitar stuff.

I think most mass produced guitars have the capability to sound decent.

I'm still wondering how many of you people have actually heard my $100 Squier Bullet in action. And the only pickup modifications it's had is an MIM pickup in the neck, and a pickup from a $100 Epi Special in the bridge. Not high-end equipment at all.

I think I'll need to post more clips of that thing on here.

Yes, you're right. It seems we're raising the myth again, which has been the point of this thread.

Soap 08-05-2006 02:34 PM

I didnt take the time to read this whole thread because its too long, but I must say that it would be kind of hard to sound as good as say Satriani or Santana or Vai using a $99 squier strat and the starter kit that comes with it.

If you DID sound pro with those your "technique" would have to be so good that you could literally change the instrument in your hands by magic or something.

No one really NEEDs the most expensive gear...but good gear is 1/2 of the answer to good tone.

Mattlock 08-06-2006 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyrotheleo (Post 2533370)
I think crappy gear is most solid state amps (except the high end moddling ones) and any guitar under $150 lol. Like they jay tursers that are made out of plywood lol.

I got my 2003 MIM Strat for 125 bucks.

Does that make it crappy?

Ryan Freeland 08-06-2006 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattlock (Post 2534208)
I got my 2003 MIM Strat for 125 bucks.

Does that make it crappy?

I got my Pacifica new for $120. Add $80 for awesome pickups = $200 for a decent guitar.