Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Secular Music (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f272/)
-   -   Tool (merged) (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t12951/)

Travis 12-04-2001 03:43 PM

Tool

Living legends, the greatest band of all time, period. No band is more artistic for sure, and I think there are none that are more creative. Here are some thoughts on their albums.

Opiate- (EP) Was raw and intense. Just a foretaste of what was to come. "Hush" was their first single and first video, and is a protest of sorts against censorship. "Opiate" takes a stab at blindly following religion (key word= blindly).

Undertow- Amazing album, dark and deep. Contains the singles "Sober" (very popular) and "Prison Sex" (a chilling emotional release inspired by abuse) and accompinied by videos for each, this time directed by guitarist Adam Jones in his, now trademark claymation style. The theme of the album is basically full of reference to floods and drowning.

Ænima- Second greatest album of all time. Singles from here are- "Stinkfist", "H", '46+2", and "Ænema." Videos were releaced for "Stinkfist" and "Ænema."
Between Undertow and Ænima Tool changed bass players and the new one, Justin Chancellor adds a great new taste to the music. The name of the album; Ænima and the name of one of the songs "Ænema", both draw off of the words "Anima" from Carl Jung's psychology which is the female aspect in a male (thought of as a guide) and "enema" (please don't make me explain that). The album name is closer to "Anima" and the song name is closer to "enema." This makes sense, because the song speaks of flushing it all down (the album has an animated image of part of CA falling into the ocean) but it also says "mom please flush it all away." The phrase "learn to swim" is repeated thoughout, and the video (which is amazing) illustrates this same concept quite well.
Anyways, there are pages and pages Ænima on the web, and I do not have time to go into more. It is so indepth and complex that I could literally write a book on it. I will say that it is about evolution and about change. 46+2 illustrates that quite well also.

Salival- This is a DVD/EP. It has their 5 videos that were released to this point and also some cool things on the EP including a new amazing version of "Push!t" (!=i) and a studio cover of Led Zeppelin's "No Quarter." Really awesome, but more for a hardcore fan, not casual wishy-washy people.

Lateralus- This is the greatest album ever made. EVER. You all know about "Schism" and the video, and the video for "Parabola" is in the works. So far the singles are "Schism", "Parabola", and "Lateralus."
Maynard seems to have moved to a new place of optimism and peace with this album illustrated is such lines as: "So crucify the ego, before it's far too late, to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical" ("Reflection") and "Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing" ("Parabola"). I really don't have time to even scratch the surface of this one, because it is far deeper then even Ænima, but instead I will say; If you have any questions at all about Lateralus, any of the other Tool albums, Tool in general, or anything pertaining to them, that is what this thread is for.

I want to answer questions about Tool here. Not many people know more than me about them, to be honest. So ask away.

http://www.christianguitar.ws/boards...threadid=12468 <---- My Tool collection

+Donny 12-04-2001 04:13 PM

*covers eyes* NOOOOOO, UNREGENERATES!!!! PLAYING MUSIC!!! AAAAHHHHH
;)

bleachedrhino 12-04-2001 05:39 PM

Tool does have a unique, original sound...Which can be very kool at times...I like Stinkfist, Sober has a good sound, and all the songs I've heard from the new Lateralus cd...so...Tool is a great band musically....although some of the lyrics from previous albums are really questionable at times, like on Sober...but they have a great sound... :cool:

Travis 12-04-2001 06:18 PM

What is questionable? "Sober" has nothing to do with Jesus Christ, don't take the words at face value with Tool... ever.

XxBaTmaNxX 12-04-2001 06:34 PM

tool is rad

Strat_dude 12-04-2001 07:07 PM

I'm not a huge fan of tool personally, not really my style, but I do admire some of their stuff, and some of my bands songs have been influenced by them.
The biggest problem I have with Tool is their lyrics (and illustrations). I haven't found anything specifically anti-Christian on Lateralus, but I know there's some on their older albums.
So there's my take on them...

Strat_dude

bleachedrhino 12-04-2001 07:13 PM

so if it has no relation to Jesus Christ...what does this mean:
Jesus won't you f****** whistle
and there's another one about Mother mary I think....tell me what it's talkin about....

nestamanchris 12-04-2001 07:36 PM

I'm personally not a big Tool fan, it's just not my musical style. I have read most of their lyrics online and Maynard is no doubt a talented writer, which is lacking in much of today's music. I also can't deny their musical talent, but they just aren't my cup of tea. If I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask you, Travis, b/c you're definitely the expert around here. Peace.

bleachedrhino 12-04-2001 07:40 PM

yeah.......he is most definitely the expert!
I think that Tool has very "deep" lyrics as well....:cool:

studentofGod 12-04-2001 08:50 PM

Wow, we have a resident expert on Tool! :D Forget being a fan of Tool. I'm a fan of Travis! Hey, Travis, do you actually know more about the band and stuff then the members themselves? I wouldn't doubt it! :)

Yup, summer job: Tool Roadie

Travis 12-04-2001 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bleachedrhino
so if it has no relation to Jesus Christ...what does this mean:
Jesus won't you f****** whistle
and there's another one about Mother mary I think....tell me what it's talkin about....

The line "Jesus won't you ***ing whistle something but the past and done" and "mother mary won't you whisper something but the past and done" seem to be using Christ's name in vain, as emphasis, and not talking about him. Like saying "Christ, won't you just talk about something besides the past." While this is using his name in vain, and wrong, it is not actually speaking against him in any way. The song is about not being sober ("why can't we not be sober") and the way that people are not allowed to use drugs.

Pick it up! 12-04-2001 09:00 PM

not against Him in anyway? using Christ's name in vain IS speaking against Him, and pretty directly too.

Travis 12-04-2001 10:00 PM

No it isn't. It is wrong, yes, but he was not refering to Jesus Christ.

swim2112 12-04-2001 11:38 PM

OOO OOO OOO!!

I have a question :)

When did they become a band??

Travis 12-04-2001 11:57 PM

1990. First EP Opiate was released in '92.