Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   My Upgrade Thread (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t121869/)

Ryan Freeland 02-25-2006 07:00 PM

My Upgrade Thread

Okay, this will be the Pacifica Upgrade thread. I have some updates on the Pacifica project. I took the pickguard apart today, took out the pickups, selector switch, but am having trouble getting the pots out. The knobs will not come off. Suggestions?

One question: On the tone pot there is a capacitor hooked on the bottom of the pot and on one of the little external metal pieces. On the capacitor, it has the number: 2A473J. Any ideas what it's for?

Uploading pics in a second.

Ryan Freeland 02-25-2006 07:06 PM

Here are two more. I'm ordering all parts this week. Any suggestions on where to get them? I'm needing the following:

Shielding/Wire
Pots/Knobs
Pickguard (done)
Pickups (done)

What5647 02-25-2006 07:23 PM

getting the nobs off depends on the nobs, some have set screws that need to be loosed to take them off, others are friction fit, wrap a couple layers of masking tape around a straightslot screwdriver and GENTLY try prying them off, doing you best to pry straight, i find using 2 screwdrivers, on on either side of the post, works best.

Ryan Freeland 02-25-2006 07:27 PM

Hey, thanks. The screwdriver method worked. :yep:

What5647 02-25-2006 07:38 PM

i know carvin sells the parts you're looking for, but i'm sure there probably a better place out there.

Ryan Freeland 02-25-2006 08:08 PM

I don't need to spend $40 on a pickguard... I can make one myself!

#1: Getting ready to trace the pickguard on heavy duty cardboard.
#2: Traced!
#3: On the guitar.
#4: One pickup cut out.
#5: The screw holes fit!

:)

gg7 02-25-2006 10:27 PM

http://www.guitarelectronics.com
that's who i like to buy supplies from.

wait, you're using a piece of heavy duty cardboard for the pickguard? or that's just the model you're using to begin with and then will transfer it to plastic?
you can get plain white sheets of plastic for pickguards from stewmac.com for about $10 i think. it's more for the fancier materials.
what are you using to cut? it looks like you're doing a good job with it so far.

thesteve 02-26-2006 12:30 AM

the cap on the tone knob is what makes it a tone knob and not another volume knob...(this is the part where someone else explains why)

What5647 02-26-2006 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve
the cap on the tone knob is what makes it a tone knob and not another volume knob...(this is the part where someone else explains why)

it makes it a simple low-pass filter, it's wired in parrelel with the resistor. if someone wants i can go into greater detail, including formulas, but you basically pass high or lows based of of whether you take the voltage from across the cap or the resistor. (in this can a variable pot.)

Ryan Freeland 02-26-2006 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg7
http://www.guitarelectronics.com
that's who i like to buy supplies from.

wait, you're using a piece of heavy duty cardboard for the pickguard? or that's just the model you're using to begin with and then will transfer it to plastic?
you can get plain white sheets of plastic for pickguards from stewmac.com for about $10 i think. it's more for the fancier materials.
what are you using to cut? it looks like you're doing a good job with it so far.

I was really thinking of doing it but i realized it would only hold up for about a week. A have a dremel tool with a good amount of attachments. Would that possibly work? I was either thinking of making a wood one or the plastic that's in normal pickguards.

Quote:

the cap on the tone knob is what makes it a tone knob and not another volume knob

Okay that's what I thought. If it wasn't there it's pretty much be a volume control.

Ryan Freeland 02-26-2006 12:02 PM

Okay I did a bunch of measuring and found that the pickups can be 2.275cm apart from each other with a HSH setup. I've decided to keep one of my single coils to use in the new setup, because they are pretty good IMO. I'm in the process of making a final cardboard template with correct measurements and pencil lines on it as needed. Pics are coming.

gg7 02-26-2006 01:11 PM

yes, a dremel tool will work. in fact that is exactly what i used to modify the pickguard that is on my custom guitar, as well as route the hole for the pickup. now i'll admit, the hole i routed for the pickup isn't perfect, but it's definitely close enough. i found it best to take it slow. i rough cut it out being sure to make the hole smaller than needed and then just gradually brought it up. towards the very end i just used sandpaper by hand (same thing on the other pickguard cuts).

i used the cutting bit that basically looks like a drill bit to do the major cutting. some of the sanding drums also work great for some shaping. although the coarse ones can take off a lot of material if you're not careful. that's what i use to round and soften edges when needed.
also, try and practice some before you do the real thing. i was fortunate enough to have around some spare material to do some practicing on, that helps.

i am convinced the dremel rotary tool is one of the greatest inventions ever.

Ryan Freeland 02-26-2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg7
yes, a dremel tool will work. in fact that is exactly what i used to modify the pickguard that is on my custom guitar, as well as route the hole for the pickup. now i'll admit, the hole i routed for the pickup isn't perfect, but it's definitely close enough. i found it best to take it slow. i rough cut it out being sure to make the hole smaller than needed and then just gradually brought it up. towards the very end i just used sandpaper by hand (same thing on the other pickguard cuts).

i used the cutting bit that basically looks like a drill bit to do the major cutting. some of the sanding drums also work great for some shaping. although the coarse ones can take off a lot of material if you're not careful. that's what i use to round and soften edges when needed.
also, try and practice some before you do the real thing. i was fortunate enough to have around some spare material to do some practicing on, that helps.

Did you try to bevel the edges? On my Dremel, I have a router attachment which might be a help. I also thought that sanding would be good for smoothing it out. I sent an email to my Grandfather, who is the ultimate hobbiest/woodworker/painter/builder if the Dremel would be a good idea. I may even possibly send the material to him so that he can cut it with his table router, but we'll see. In the meantime, I have a few more pics.

gg7 02-26-2006 04:51 PM

my custom pickguard started out as a strat guard. so, i only had to cut it in a couple of spots to get it to it's current shape. the biggest cut was for the lower bout.
i did bevel it. i used one of the small round sanding drums on the dremel and then finished up by hand with sandpaper.
if i were just using a plain white all the way through piece of material (which you can get) i don't think i'd bother with bevelling at all.
the only reason i did it is purely cosmetic. my pickguard material is white/black/white so the bevel shows off the different shades.

cool, maybe your grandfather will have some good ideas for you.

just to be clear, i'm in no way saying my way of doing these things is the best way. it's just the best way for me with what resources i have. it works.

as an edit: i want to really emphasize something. if you do end up using the little sanding drums and especially at a high speed be very careful. if you've seen my truss rod cover i cut out for my guitar, the curves in that cover were done with one of the sanding drums on and on a high speed and it didn't take long. so, practicing on some scrap material is ideal. that and plenty of patience. i didn't actually bother with bevelling my truss cover or jack holder that i cut out though.

What5647 02-26-2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg7

it is. with the right bits you can do almost anything.

CheshireCat 02-27-2006 02:15 AM

Quote:

Indeed. This is where I come in.

The cap is what makes the treble bleed tone pot happen. Otherwise the entire guitar signal would short out (or "shunt") to ground, and you'd in effect have two volume pots instead of one, for the same signal.

That's what a tone pot is, in fact . . . a volume control for the treble frequencies of the signal. With the "treble volume" full up, you get the full signal of your guitar. With the "volume" full down, all the trebles are shunted, and you're left with the bassier/midrangier frequencies, which, unfortunately, can lack definition.

Chesh

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 04:47 PM

Quick question. Where do you guys get copper/aluminum shielding for cheap? I'm going to shield my pickguard and electronics cavity. It's not cheap, at the places I'm looking.

thesteve 02-27-2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
Quick question. Where do you guys get copper/aluminum shielding for cheap? I'm going to shield my pickguard and electronics cavity. It's not cheap, at the places I'm looking.

Radio Shack sells it.

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Radio Shack sells it.

Nope they don't. :-/ I went there today.

thesteve 02-27-2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Nope they don't. :-/ I went there today.

weird...i've seen it at Radio Shack here. I know Carvin sells it too :)

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 05:04 PM

Yeah Carvin's shielding/wiring kit is the cheapest I've seen I think. They are all about the same, $8 or $9 for some shielding.

thesteve 02-27-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Yeah Carvin's shielding/wiring kit is the cheapest I've seen I think. They are all about the same, $8 or $9 for some shielding.

it also comes with solder and wiring ;) i'm still really surprised that radioshack didnt' have single sided aluminum or copper tape.

guitarjockey111 02-27-2006 05:20 PM

Hey BB429 if you need any help let me know my yamaha pacifica is still sittin round in my room so if you need to know were a wire goes or how something is setup let me know ill be happy to help.Oh i think you should replace the pots on it to i was lookin at mine and for 500k pots there the smallest ones ive ever seen.

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarjockey111
Hey BB429 if you need any help let me know my yamaha pacifica is still sittin round in my room so if you need to know were a wire goes or how something is setup let me know ill be happy to help.Oh i think you should replace the pots on it to i was lookin at mine and for 500k pots there the smallest ones ive ever seen.

Thanks man. Yes, I'm replacing the pots. They are so small because they are "mini pots", used for guitars with pickguards.

guitarjockey111 02-27-2006 05:38 PM

Stupid mini pots lol

my tone has like all this corrosive material on the solder so i need to clean it and resolder it.But I never play it so it doesnt bug me.

CheshireCat 02-27-2006 06:32 PM

Quote:

You might consider getting a one-off kit from StewMac.com.

Chesh

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat
You might consider getting a one-off kit from StewMac.com.

Chesh

Would this work? I don't really need a kit since I have wires and such.

thesteve 02-27-2006 07:34 PM

Quote:

did you read the description
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewmac.com
Use this conductive copper tape to shield your pickups and control cavities to reduce hum, noise and radio interference. The self-adhesive backing is also conductive, so overlapped seams are electrically continuous. Wrap this tape around pickup coils for additional shielding. 180" rolls. The copper tape surface accepts solder.

hmm...i'm not sure, but it might work as shielding...

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

did you read the description
hmm...i'm not sure, but it might work as shielding...

Isn't that what it's used for? Yep, I read the description.

thesteve 02-27-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

Isn't that what it's used for? Yep, I read the description.

if you read the description then why did you ask the question?

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 07:47 PM

Quote:

if you read the description then why did you ask the question?

What I was pretty much asking is, "has anyone used this or had experience of it working well?"

thesteve 02-27-2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

What I was pretty much asking is, "has anyone used this or had experience of it working well?"

ah...this was a bit unclear
here's some instructions for shielding

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

basically that will also tell you everything you need

Major Tom 02-27-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Yes, but I'm sure you know that it has to have a good electrical connection to the guitar's ground to be effective as a shield. So if you wrap it around the coil of a single coil pickup, you have to solder a ground wire to it. You would also need to do the top and bottom of said pickup to be complete; it needs to be pretty well completely surrounded - not the magnet tops though.... You can solder a wire to the copper tape, that's why its used I guess, as opposed to aluminum. You can use heavy duty aluminum foil too, but you can't solder to it. Spray it with some spray adhesive to stick it on. I have used it for things like the inside of contol cavity covers and the underneath of strat type pickguards, where being physically held against a grounded device - pots, switches, other shielding...provides the electrical connection.

gg7 02-27-2006 11:01 PM

i have used that very shielding from stewmac.com that you linked to. yes, it works very well. i like the simplicity since you just pull the back off and it sticks in place.
the only thing i didn't like was you can get some serious cuts on your fingers with that stuff. if you think a paper cut is bad you should feel what this stuff can do :D

CheshireCat 02-28-2006 01:53 AM

Quote:

I would strongly, strongly recommend you read and thoroughly digest Johnny A's Quieting The Beast Mod from GuitarNuts.com.

Seriously, that's the key to shielding any guitar. Don't think that slapping some copper paint or tape in there is going to do it. There's a lot more to it than that. The cool thing is that John shows you how everything is done.

Chesh

thesteve 02-28-2006 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat
I would strongly, strongly recommend you read and thoroughly digest Johnny A's Quieting The Beast Mod from GuitarNuts.com.

Seriously, that's the key to shielding any guitar. Don't think that slapping some copper paint or tape in there is going to do it. There's a lot more to it than that. The cool thing is that John shows you how everything is done.

Chesh

i totally already posted that link...huzzah! when i open up my MIJ Strat i'll probably end up doing that little mod to it too.

CheshireCat 02-28-2006 02:09 AM

Quote:

i totally already posted that link...huzzah! when i open up my MIJ Strat i'll probably end up doing that little mod to it too.

Oh yeah.

It's late and I'm tired. :D

What5647 02-28-2006 10:03 AM

if aluminium tape will work instead of copper tape, just run out to the local hardware store and buy some! it's used to seal ductwork. (yes, duct tape is not used in duct work.)

BillSPrestonEsq 02-28-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What5647
if aluminium tape will work instead of copper tape, just run out to the local hardware store and buy some! it's used to seal ductwork. (yes, duct tape is not used in duct work.)

If you had read the link... you would know not do this.

What5647 02-28-2006 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq
If you had read the link... you would know not do this.

i haven't had a chance yet.

What5647 02-28-2006 03:22 PM

alright, now i've read the article. i might do that mod, i get terrible noise from my guitar, and i know it's not the amp, when i turn the guitar volume down the hum dies.

Ryan Freeland 03-03-2006 03:21 PM

Update: I bid on a pair of pickups last night, not thinking anyone else would bid on them. So when I got home this afternoon, someone bid on them and the auction had closed. I'm mad at myself. :( Probably another week or more the electric gets put back together.... + I haven't worked out the pickguard issue either.

:-/

Ryan Freeland 03-03-2006 10:30 PM

Ordering some pickguard material tomorrow. Either white or pearl. What do you guys think? (with black pickups)

Time to get the Dremel out too. :) What I'm planning on doing is drawing the design on the material, then cutting it out but leaving about 1/8in extra on the whole thing. Then I'll sand all the sides down with the Dremel, then hand sand it. Then make some countersink screw holes, and done. Sound like a plan? gg7? ;)

gg7 03-03-2006 10:42 PM

Quote:

Ordering some pickguard material tomorrow. Either white or pearl. What do you guys think? (with black pickups)

Time to get the Dremel out too. :) What I'm planning on doing is drawing the design on the material, then cutting it out but leaving about 1/8in extra on the whole thing. Then I'll sand all the sides down with the Dremel, then hand sand it. Then make some countersink screw holes, and done. Sound like a plan? gg7? ;)

pearl white will probably forever be my favorite. white is just fine though. you'll have to make that call.

sounds like a good plan to me. :yep: ..believe it or not, the countersinking is the most tricky thing for me out of all that you mentioned. unless you have access to a drill press or something else that will physically stop you from going too deep i'd recommend you do that part first before finishing up the sides. just think if you got it all cut out and just how you wanted around the sides, and then goofed up some of the countersinking. all i have for that is a hand drill and no really good way to set depth. i'll admit i don't always countersink. when i do i just turn the drill by hand very carefully.

i look forward to seeing your completed project!

Ryan Freeland 03-04-2006 08:33 AM

Okay here's the bill of materials. If you know a place where they can be found for cheaper, please tell me before I order this evening. These prices and links are all to Stewmac.com:

StewMac
------------------------
2 Pots = $05.46
Pickguard Material = $13.35
Shielding Kit = $13.75
Knobs = $07.04
Pickup Cover = $02.09
------------------------

GFS/Ebay
------------------------
Pickups = $60.00
------------------------

Total: $101.69 + Shipping

ieatdirt 03-04-2006 08:43 AM

You might want to tell us what kinds of pickups, so we can tell you if we know a better price.

Ryan Freeland 03-04-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ieatdirt
You might want to tell us what kinds of pickups, so we can tell you if we know a better price.

No, I have decided what pickups I'm getting, and have researched that enough. I'm asking about the stuff from Stewmac.

ieatdirt 03-04-2006 08:57 AM

Oops, I meant to say what kind of pickups. But are you saying you decided to get them from Ebay? That probably is the cheapest place to get them, so I guess we couldn't really give you any advice.

Ryan Freeland 03-04-2006 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ieatdirt
Oops, I meant to say what kind of pickups. But are you saying you decided to get them from Ebay? That probably is the cheapest place to get them, so I guess we couldn't really give you any advice.

Correct, GFS sells their pickups new on ebay for a bit cheaper than at their online store.

ieatdirt 03-04-2006 09:41 AM

Oh, that's cool. I should look into it if I replace my pickups.