Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   My Upgrade Thread (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t121869/)

Rainer. 04-01-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
I'm moving forward. I took off the pickguard today to trace it and send the tracing and original pickguard to my grandfather. He's going to cut a template for me since he has a good amount of wood-working experience and he has the tools. He will then send the template back and I will cut the actual plastic material for the pickguard, using that template.

Since my current pickguard is gone, I must improvise! Behold the first guitar ever with a CARDBOARD pickguard! :D (and yes, it works)

Pics attached.

First ever? I doubt it. :p

Ryan Freeland 04-01-2006 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer.
First ever? I doubt it. :p

Shhhhhhh... ;) It's working well so far. I'm going to scan my pickguard tracing here in a sec...

EDIT: Here is a scanning of the traced pickguard with the new pickup configuration. As you can see, I have measurements on there.

gg7 04-01-2006 04:39 PM

i hope you measured twice :D
you should take out a sharpie and draw something on that cardboard pickguard...or write something meaningful such as "gg7 is groovy".
don't forget, this guy :teeth: is still available to put the finishing touches on your headstock.

thesteve 04-01-2006 04:43 PM

hey....did you just use straight cardboard, or did you reinforce it with something?

Ryan Freeland 04-01-2006 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg7
i hope you measured twice :D
you should take out a sharpie and draw something on that cardboard pickguard...or write something meaningful such as "gg7 is groovy".
don't forget, this guy :teeth: is still available to put the finishing touches on your headstock.

Mr. :teeth: will be able to take bites out of my headstock once I finish the design. :evil:

Since the pencil lead will create a minute difference in measurements, I found the following:

From back of bridge 'bucker to front of neck 'bucker: 14cm
On paper: 14.04cm

The difference is expected. ;)

I will now be taking requests for what to write on my pickguard! :D

Ryan Freeland 04-01-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve
hey....did you just use straight cardboard, or did you reinforce it with something?

100% cardboard. ;) It's not the cardboard that you would find in a normal cardboard box, but a very dense type of cardboard. I think it can be found at most craft stores.

gg7 04-01-2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Building429_Boy

*you edited something in here*

Well since the pencil lead will create a minute
difference in measurements, I found the following:

From back of bridge 'bucker to front of neck 'bucker: 14cm
On paper: 14.04cm

The difference is expected. ;)

I will now be taking requests for what to write on my pickguard! :D

you edited your post. so i'll edit mine. i am going to be disappointed if i don't see teeth marks.

ah, very smart of you. i'm proud of you. you are really thinking this project through and doing a good job thus far.

you already have my request. i can't imagine a better thing to be written on your pickguard. :D
in 15 minutes your b-ball team is playing. i'm going to watch. it won't hurt my feelings if they beat florida. so i am out of here.

Ryan Freeland 04-01-2006 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg7
ah, very smart of you. i'm proud of you. you are really thinking this project through and doing a good job thus far.

you already have my request. i can't imagine a better thing to be written on your pickguard. :D
in 15 minutes your b-ball team is playing. i'm going to watch. it won't hurt my feelings if they beat florida. so i am out of here.

Thanks. :) Your wish is my command...

gg7 04-01-2006 04:51 PM

awesome. you may not even want the new pickguard after that. did you ever decide on a color? if you did, i missed it.

Ryan Freeland 04-01-2006 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg7
awesome. you may not even want the new pickguard after that. did you ever decide on a color? if you did, i missed it.

Not exactly sure the color yet... Either white or black. I wonder what I could use on a black picguard to draw the pattern?

gg7 04-01-2006 05:06 PM

ha! that is now one of the coolest pickguards ever!
you should try to fill it up with some other stuff though. maybe even start a thread for suggestions in cpf. that could be entertaining :D

you could possibly use a "white out" pen. that's the first thing that came to mind for me. actually, the back of your black pickguard material might be white. i'm not sure. the back of all the material i've used ever is the easiest to mark on. it doesn't have the gloss of the front.

ok, now i'm really off to watch the game.

Ryan Freeland 04-01-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gg7
ha! that is now one of the coolest pickguards ever!
you should try to fill it up with some other stuff though. maybe even start a thread for suggestions in cpf. that could be entertaining :D

you could possibly use a "white out" pen. that's the first thing that came to mind for me. actually, the back of your black pickguard material might be white. i'm not sure. the back of all the material i've used ever is the easiest to mark on. it doesn't have the gloss of the front.

ok, now i'm really off to watch the game.

There's a thread in CPF now. As for the possible white backing, I think it's black because it is advertised as "black/white/black" or "black". I'll email StewMac, because they're good like that. :cool:

Ryan Freeland 04-01-2006 09:31 PM

It's pretty full now! :D

http://ryanfreeland.org/DSC04116.JPG

I'm waiting for pickups to be instock....

Ryan Freeland 04-08-2006 03:52 PM

Okay, here she is taken apart again. This time, only the neck and tuners are left on the body. :D

http://ryanfreeland.org/trem1.jpg
http://ryanfreeland.org/trem2.jpg
http://ryanfreeland.org/trem3.jpg
http://ryanfreeland.org/trem4.jpg
http://ryanfreeland.org/trem5.jpg

Pickups will be here in a few days. Both should be Duncans.

Ryan Freeland 04-13-2006 08:42 AM

Alright, I'm going to do lots of work on the guitarra today. I took the neck off so I can route the pickup cavity a bit more. One of my Seymour Duncans will be here today. Pics coming soon.

Thing to do today:

-Route Cavity
-Re-measure pickguard tracing
-Order stuff from StewMac/Warmoth
-Look for another Duncan


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 PM.



vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2