Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   My Upgrade Thread (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t121869/)

CheshireCat 02-27-2006 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesteve
the cap on the tone knob is what makes it a tone knob and not another volume knob...(this is the part where someone else explains why)

Indeed. This is where I come in.

The cap is what makes the treble bleed tone pot happen. Otherwise the entire guitar signal would short out (or "shunt") to ground, and you'd in effect have two volume pots instead of one, for the same signal.

That's what a tone pot is, in fact . . . a volume control for the treble frequencies of the signal. With the "treble volume" full up, you get the full signal of your guitar. With the "volume" full down, all the trebles are shunted, and you're left with the bassier/midrangier frequencies, which, unfortunately, can lack definition.

Chesh

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 04:47 PM

Quick question. Where do you guys get copper/aluminum shielding for cheap? I'm going to shield my pickguard and electronics cavity. It's not cheap, at the places I'm looking.

thesteve 02-27-2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Building429_Boy
Quick question. Where do you guys get copper/aluminum shielding for cheap? I'm going to shield my pickguard and electronics cavity. It's not cheap, at the places I'm looking.

Radio Shack sells it.

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Radio Shack sells it.

Nope they don't. :-/ I went there today.

thesteve 02-27-2006 04:57 PM

Quote:

Nope they don't. :-/ I went there today.

weird...i've seen it at Radio Shack here. I know Carvin sells it too :)

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 05:04 PM

Yeah Carvin's shielding/wiring kit is the cheapest I've seen I think. They are all about the same, $8 or $9 for some shielding.

thesteve 02-27-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Yeah Carvin's shielding/wiring kit is the cheapest I've seen I think. They are all about the same, $8 or $9 for some shielding.

it also comes with solder and wiring ;) i'm still really surprised that radioshack didnt' have single sided aluminum or copper tape.

guitarjockey111 02-27-2006 05:20 PM

Hey BB429 if you need any help let me know my yamaha pacifica is still sittin round in my room so if you need to know were a wire goes or how something is setup let me know ill be happy to help.Oh i think you should replace the pots on it to i was lookin at mine and for 500k pots there the smallest ones ive ever seen.

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarjockey111
Hey BB429 if you need any help let me know my yamaha pacifica is still sittin round in my room so if you need to know were a wire goes or how something is setup let me know ill be happy to help.Oh i think you should replace the pots on it to i was lookin at mine and for 500k pots there the smallest ones ive ever seen.

Thanks man. Yes, I'm replacing the pots. They are so small because they are "mini pots", used for guitars with pickguards.

guitarjockey111 02-27-2006 05:38 PM

Stupid mini pots lol

my tone has like all this corrosive material on the solder so i need to clean it and resolder it.But I never play it so it doesnt bug me.

CheshireCat 02-27-2006 06:32 PM

Quote:

You might consider getting a one-off kit from StewMac.com.

Chesh

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireCat
You might consider getting a one-off kit from StewMac.com.

Chesh

Would this work? I don't really need a kit since I have wires and such.

thesteve 02-27-2006 07:34 PM

Quote:

Would this work? I don't really need a kit since I have wires and such.

did you read the description
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewmac.com
Use this conductive copper tape to shield your pickups and control cavities to reduce hum, noise and radio interference. The self-adhesive backing is also conductive, so overlapped seams are electrically continuous. Wrap this tape around pickup coils for additional shielding. 180" rolls. The copper tape surface accepts solder.

hmm...i'm not sure, but it might work as shielding...

Ryan Freeland 02-27-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

did you read the description
hmm...i'm not sure, but it might work as shielding...

Isn't that what it's used for? Yep, I read the description.

thesteve 02-27-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

Isn't that what it's used for? Yep, I read the description.

if you read the description then why did you ask the question?