Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   Burstbucker VS Dimarzio PAF (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t119911/)

thrashmetal15 01-30-2006 08:16 PM

Burstbucker VS Dimarzio PAF
 
I am thinking about replacing the pups in my vantage with either Gibson Burstbuckers or Dimarzio PAF's.

I need all the practical information on these pickups that I can get, difference in tonal qualities, build quality, stuff like that. I'm perty skeptical about paying 260 dollars for a pair of pickups.

I'm looking for a semi high-gain old rock sound...a-la the 60's-70's.

Major Tom 01-30-2006 08:51 PM

I can't speak for the Burstbuckers, but I have some experience with DiMArzio PAF's, still have some installed. I have a couple PAF Classics and a PAF, just ebayed a PAF Pro. Also have a couple SD's - a couple '59s and a Pearly Gates. As far as build quality, sure, they are as good as any others, no problems that I can see. Honestly, I don't think you'll notice much difference from one good PAF type to another, other than when one specifies a particular idiosyncracy, like the Pearly Gates; "PAF with Texas Sizzle" which is true, its like a PAF with extra high end. Some PAF types model aged (weakened magnets) PAF's, others are s'posed to be like PAF's were when they were new.

Personally, I would skip the Burstbuckers - that is a high price to pay for that type of product. So many players buy and trade out pickups, there's lots of 'em on ebay that are just about like new. DiMarzio's usually go for a few bucks less than SD, but in general, those brands go for 30 -50 bucks each on ebay. I recently bought a pair of DiMarzio Bluesbuckers open coil, in great shape for about 75 bux shipped - just about 1/2 of what they sell for. At prices like that, you can swap 'em around and re-bay 'em if you don't like 'em.

BTW, the Bluesbucker is a great neck position pickup for players like me who consider most neck position 'buckers to be muddy. IMO, it mates really well with PAF types in the bridge position. As an added bonus, they are one of the few humbers that don't have a huge drop in volume when split.

BlessedNinja 01-31-2006 01:58 AM

I agree w/ the Maj. here.

I have a set of burstbuckers(soon to be replaced) in my Epi LP, and while they are great for jazz and blues, cleans and high gain sounds are lacking imho. Another thing to note is that BB's aren't wax potted and feedback will be abundant(bad kind) with high gain.

Casey 01-31-2006 06:54 AM

even properly made unpotted pickups will not scream at high gain levels. Oh Gibson... . ;)

thrashmetal15 01-31-2006 05:23 PM

Haha, ok..........

Bluesbucker sounds like a good neck position PU for what I'm looking for.

How do bluesbuckers compare to ordinary PAF style pups as far as output?

Major Tom 01-31-2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrashmetal15
Haha, ok..........

Bluesbucker sounds like a good neck position PU for what I'm looking for.

How do bluesbuckers compare to ordinary PAF style pups as far as output?

Probably about the same, maybe even a bit more than some. I have my BB (uncovered) mated with the SD Pearly Gates (covered). The BB is a bit hotter, so I have the BB's height a little lower.

Major Tom 01-31-2006 05:45 PM

What kind of guitar is the Vantage - neck, body wood?

wwjdnow 01-31-2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrashmetal15
I am thinking about replacing the pups in my vantage with either Gibson Burstbuckers or Dimarzio PAF's.

I need all the practical information on these pickups that I can get, difference in tonal qualities, build quality, stuff like that. I'm perty skeptical about paying 260 dollars for a pair of pickups.

I'm looking for a semi high-gain old rock sound...a-la the 60's-70's.

If you're looking at Gibsons, why not the vintage '57 pickups instead of the Burstbuckers?

If you're concerned about price, check out the Carvin C22B bridge pickup. I hear the pickup it replaced, the C22T is actually a great neck pickup, but so is the C22N. Together, these go for about $100.

thrashmetal15 02-01-2006 12:15 PM

It's a Les Paul Copy; all mahogany.

I have heard that carvin pups are excessively twangy..anyone else heard similair rumors?

thesteve 02-01-2006 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrashmetal15
I have heard that carvin pups are excessively twangy..anyone else heard similair rumors?

A friend of mine droped a C22 in a BC Rich super strat copy (80s model)...it's pretty bright and very high output.

wwjdnow 02-01-2006 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrashmetal15
It's a Les Paul Copy; all mahogany.

I have heard that carvin pups are excessively twangy..anyone else heard similair rumors?

I think it depends upon which ones you get. I just replaced the old M22s on mine for that reason. I just had the Holdsworth designer pickups installed, but I haven't been able to give them a good workout yet. The C22s are supposed to be warmer sounding. The type of guitar they are going into makes a difference. Most Carvins are made of alder and have neck-thru-bodies which will make them sound brighter. You can check out sound bytes of the CT series to hear what they sound like with a set-neck mohagany guitar.

Major Tom 02-01-2006 05:58 PM

It certainly does have a lot to do with the guitar as stated above. IMO, its more about the wood species and construction. I always say the pickup on a guitar is analogous to a mic and singer. For example a PAF type pickup will sound brighter in a strat-like guitar 'cause of the maple neck, than it will in an all mahogany guitar a strat will still sound like a strat, just more corpulent. Of course, there's lots of variance with mahogany - several species, and each one varies a bunch from piece piece. The mahog used in most Korean guitars I think is "harder" sounding than honduras mahog. If your vantage is MIJ from the 70's or 80's its probably honduras - like what Gibby uses.

shreadhead 02-01-2006 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwjdnow
If you're looking at Gibsons, why not the vintage '57 pickups instead of the Burstbuckers?

If you're concerned about price, check out the Carvin C22B bridge pickup. I hear the pickup it replaced, the C22T is actually a great neck pickup, but so is the C22N. Together, these go for about $100.

Today I had my 1997 Carvin DC145 with me in a local shop when I went to pick up my Fender Prosonic on a minor repair. My 145 is a Mahogany neck and body with a Quilt top and has a C22T in the neck an AP11 in the middle and a C22B in the bridge. I was playing on a Boogie single Rec head when one of the salesmen came up and with a new Custom Shop Les Paul Flame top with the Burstbuckers. He commented on the Carvins tones and asked me to hook the Paul up to see how it compared. My Carvin promptly stomped the Paul in tones much to the salesman`s and my surprise!! The Les Paul with the Burstbuckers ( a $4000 KILLER flame top custom shop Les Paul at that ) was MUCH thinner and less defined in tone than my Carvin with the C22`s.
I would go with Dimarzios or a good set of Duncans as the Gibson Burstbuckers are quite expensive and did not impress me !!

shreadhead 02-01-2006 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major Tom
It certainly does have a lot to do with the guitar as stated above. IMO, its more about the wood species and construction. I always say the pickup on a guitar is analogous to a mic and singer. For example a PAF type pickup will sound brighter in a strat-like guitar 'cause of the maple neck, than it will in an all mahogany guitar a strat will still sound like a strat, just more corpulent. Of course, there's lots of variance with mahogany - several species, and each one varies a bunch from piece piece. The mahog used in most Korean guitars I think is "harder" sounding than honduras mahog. If your vantage is MIJ from the 70's or 80's its probably honduras - like what Gibby uses.

Right on man my DC145 as all of my Mahogany Carvins is well seasoned Honduras. It can make a MAJOR difference in tone what type of Mahogany it is.

shreadhead 02-01-2006 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrashmetal15
It's a Les Paul Copy; all mahogany.

I have heard that carvin pups are excessively twangy..anyone else heard similair rumors?

Depends on the guitar and the pickups. Carvin adds a high pass cap on there newer guitars that IMO makes the guitar excessivly bright. The Cap is designed to keep the highs from decreasing when you roll off the volume and I have removed it on the newer ones I have that came with it . I have severall all rock maple late 80`s- early 90`s Carvins with C22B`s in the bridge and C22T`s in the necks that have HUGE thick tones!! My 1985 all maple hardtail V220 will hold it`s own in tone and sustain with ANY Less Paul with the T and B set up .


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 PM.



vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2