Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Theology (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f456/)
-   -   The Nature and Means of Salvation (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t119442/)

0000 01-23-2006 12:18 PM

The Nature and Means of Salvation

Along with the inspiration of Scripture thread that bobthecockroach has started, this is a spinoff of the "Desires" thread.

What is the nature of salvation?

What is the means of salvation?

KFBobInsanesMom 01-23-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0000
Along with the inspiration of Scripture thread that bobthecockroach has started, this is a spinoff of the "Desires" thread.

I'll answer the easy one, the second one.

The means of salvation is God. Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God. Salvation is a gift, freely given by God.

bobthecockroach 01-23-2006 01:43 PM

I think it was said best (aside from Scripture) when it was said that salvation is fourfold. We are saved from the pleasure, penalty, power, and (in the future) presence of sin.

Pennypacker11 01-23-2006 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0000

I believe that the nature of salvation is communion with God, often described in the tradition as 'entering into the life of the Blessed Trinity' or the 'Beatific Vision'.

The means is the life, death, and resurrection of Christ (yes, all 3).

KFBobInsanesMom 01-24-2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennypacker11

This is fine in part but this alone does not save. One has to have the grace to believe that Jesus was the Christ, this grace comes as a gift from God. Jesus's life, death, and resurrection will not save one who does not believe He was who He was.

Pennypacker11 01-24-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KFBobInsanesMom
This is fine in part but this alone does not save. One has to have the grace to believe that Jesus was the Christ, this grace comes as a gift from God. Jesus's life, death, and resurrection will not save one who does not believe He was who He was.

Very true; I did not mention the need for the appropriation in faith which is essential.

Chrysostom 01-24-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennypacker11

What about the Ascension? I always thought that was an interesting line of reasoning to pursue.

mlqurgw 01-24-2006 11:22 PM

Salvation isn't a thing it is a Person, the Lord Jesus Christ. He is the means of salvation. The man Simeon, when they brought the child to be circumcised, said; Luk 2:29 Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word:
Luk 2:30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation

AlphaSigma 01-25-2006 12:03 AM

I'll try the first one: The Nature of Salvation.
The nature of salvation is to unite mankind in relationship with God the creator. I believe salvation was meant to allow us to understand and communicate with God in a way we never could in any other way. He didn't create salvation so we 'wouldn't have to go to Hell.' He created it because he loved us and he wanted to show us how much he cares for us.

domnastics 01-25-2006 08:19 AM

The nature of salvation:
To unite us with God. To break the separation caused by sin.
The means of salvation:
Repent and believe on the redemption from Jesus Christ.