Christian Guitar Forum

Christian Guitar Forum (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/)
-   Guitar (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/f13/)
-   -   CGR Collaboration? (http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/t104862/)

FTS 06-19-2005 11:10 AM

CGR Collaboration?

Hey all.
This has sort of been tried before. However last time I think they were trying to take on a huge project by creating an original song and each recording a part. This time, to keep it simple, I am suggesting a 12 bar blues (in G?), and we each take a solo... 12 bars long =]
Main emphasis on this is just to have a go and have fun.

The way it would work would be, I (or someone else if they really want to) will post a backing. Fairly simple. Just 12 bars long, and with a 6-count in, and a click track through it. We'll keep it pretty laid back. You guys would download it, and use it as the guide for your solo. Once you've got your solo done, upload it here! I want the solos only! You can upload them in .wav or .mp3 (.mp3 would be better as it is a smaller file size), and while good quality recordings would be preferred, you won't be descriminated against if it the quality isn't very good. Remember, it's about having a go and having fun.
Feel free to use electric or acoustic.

Once I have all the solos, I'll just mix them in with the (click free) backing and we'll see how it goes! Oh, but if someone has mixing experience and would like to do the mixing, they're more than welcome to do it! And once we have that done, I, or the mixer, will post an mp3 of the final product!

Then, if it has caught on or whatever, we could perhaps ask a CGR drummer to record some drums for us, and a CGR bassist to record some bass for us.

To emphasise the point once again, it about having a go, and having fun, so don't worry if you think you suck, or you don't like blues. Have a go!

But of course, if no one is interested in the idea, then that's fine.
I say we give it, at the least, 2 weeks; at the most a month, just incase people are going away or what-not and still want to participate.

I should have the backing posted tomorrow sometime.

If you have any queries or questions, PM me.

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php - Kristal Audio Engine. Free multi-tracking software.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ - Audacity. Free multi-tracking software.

Or, if you have a P.C. with windows 98 or later (unsure about 95), you should have a program called Sound Recorder. That's perfectly fine to use, though it doesn't multi-track (you don't really need to)

Also, I'm sure there are many wav-mp3 converters out there that you could just do a search.

Again, any queiries or questions, PM me.

Rainer. 06-19-2005 11:42 AM

Historically, this hasn't really caught on, but I guess we can give it a go. Details need to ba hammered out, as I'm sure you know.

Sound recorder multi-tracks! :D Kinda have to be creative, though, but I used to do sound recorder multi-tracks a while ago... :lol:

SwitchfootRulz! 06-19-2005 11:48 AM

That sounds awesome, I'll definately do it :yep:

<s>I'll let someone else post thier solo before mine...:blush: </s>

Fret22 06-19-2005 06:00 PM

If I just send you the solo track how are you ever going to get that laid over the backing track how I originally intended?

MJ_Avalanche 06-19-2005 07:07 PM

Participating, I will be. Talking like Yoda, I will stop.

Rainer. 06-19-2005 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fret22
If I just send you the solo track how are you ever going to get that laid over the backing track how I originally intended?

That's a good point. It's probably most musical to do a pre-made backtrack.

FTS 06-19-2005 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fret22

The reason I just wanted the solo track was so I could have the backing, essentially loop it, and put every one's solo over the top. I see the problem though.
This is a thought, and if you have a better idea, please let me know, but maybe two soundfiles could be made. One with a mixdown of both the solo and the backing, and one with just the solo.
I wanted to make a backing track with a click track for those who don't have a metronome, and I don't intend to keep the click track for the end product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer
Historically, this hasn't really caught on, but I guess we can give it a go. Details need to ba hammered out, as I'm sure you know.

I know, but I thought if we just keep it simple, 12 bar blues, just a solo each, I'll handle the mixing if no one else wants to do it, and yeah.

Even if we only have 2 or 3 people participating, we'll still go ahead. We may even take 2 solos each if it comes to that =]

Issues currently standing:
How will you upload the solos/I collect the solos so that I can lay it over the backing like you intended.

My solution was suggested above, if you have others, SPEAK UP!

Current participants:
SwitchfootRulz!
MJ_Avalanche
Fret22 (unsure, they haven't said so yet)
Rainer (unsure)

As I said, the backing will be up tomorrow

Rainer. 06-19-2005 09:19 PM

If I have time, I'll do it, but I may not.

FTS 06-19-2005 09:26 PM

Sweet as man.

JP2_Rocks 06-19-2005 09:34 PM

i'd love to. i've got stitches in the palm of my fretting hand till thursday, at least. if i can find time, though, i'd love to participate!!

FTS 06-20-2005 10:44 PM

Here's the backing.
It's in a 128kbps mp3.
If you need it in wav, just let me know

guitarguy 06-20-2005 11:25 PM

Hey man I'm in. I just have to get me a make shift recording setup here at work. An amp, mike, and a little mixer. Hopefully I'll be able to post tomorrow night.

FTS 06-20-2005 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarguy
Hey man I'm in. I just have to get me a make shift recording setup here at work. An amp, mike, and a little mixer. Hopefully I'll be able to post tomorrow night.

Haha, that's great! Recording a solo at work!
Glad to have you aboard

FTS 06-20-2005 11:32 PM

Current Participants:
SwitchfootRulz!
MJ_Avalanche
Rainer (unsure)
JP2_Rocks (unsure)
guitarguy
Kepa

Skeeter 06-21-2005 01:32 AM

I'm up for it.

FTS 06-21-2005 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeeter
I'm up for it.

NICE!

Current Participants:
SwitchfootRulz!
MJ_Avalanche
Rainer (unsure)
JP2_Rocks (unsure)
guitarguy
Kepa
Skeeter

Dave H 06-21-2005 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kepa
NICE!

Current Participants:
SwitchfootRulz!
MJ_Avalanche
Rainer (unsure)
JP2_Rocks (unsure)
guitarguy
Kepa
Skeeter

You may add me to the list as well, but I may need a few days to get something done :)

FTS 06-21-2005 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave H
You may add me to the list as well, but I may need a few days to get something done :)

Great!
No problems, it's open for atleast two weeks.

Current Participants:
SwitchfootRulz!
MJ_Avalanche
Rainer (unsure)
JP2_Rocks (unsure)
guitarguy
Kepa
Skeeter
Dave H

MJ_Avalanche 06-21-2005 06:39 AM

6/8 Blues, eh? This should be interesting, I don't think I've ever played a 6/8 blues before. Won't stop me. :D

FTS 06-21-2005 06:50 AM

That's good then! :D

Btw, if anyone wants a track that you can loop, I'll just take out the count in.

FTS 06-24-2005 10:44 AM

Ok, so how's everyone going on theirs?
Here's mine (set to backing)

Dave H 06-24-2005 11:33 AM

Quote:

Ok, so how's everyone going on theirs?
Here's mine (set to backing)

I like it! I just need to record, I've had trouble finding any time the last few days; I'll try to get it done this evening, I plan to leave work early today :)

FTS 06-24-2005 11:35 AM

Thanks.
No worries, whenever you get time.

Dave H 06-24-2005 04:33 PM

Well here's mine:

:)

MJ_Avalanche 06-24-2005 04:45 PM

Good job guys. I'll probably get around to recording mine this coming week.

FTS 06-24-2005 09:36 PM

Quote:

Well here's mine:

:)

NICE!
I really love your tone.
I'm assuming you're able to multi-track. Are you able to upload just the solo?

Dave H 06-24-2005 09:45 PM

Quote:

NICE!
I really love your tone.
I'm assuming you're able to multi-track. Are you able to upload just the solo?

Thanks, I thought my tone sounded terrible, but if you say so :D

Here's the solo only

FTS 06-24-2005 09:51 PM

what guitar were you using?

Skeeter 06-24-2005 10:18 PM

I recorded some possible solos but I'm not entirely happy with any of them. I basically noodled for an hour, recording everything. I like parts of each one I did, but none of them are right. I'll go through them and take the parts I liked and make an über-solo...but don't expect much. I'm a rhythm player, not a lead guitarist. ;)

FTS 06-24-2005 10:37 PM

Haha, sweet as man. Take your time. In the mean time, here's a mix of Dave's and my solos.

guitarguy 06-25-2005 12:54 AM

My computer with all of my recording software and song demos crashed today. It won't boot up unless I have th product code for windows xp. I can't find my code so I'm screwed. :-/

FTS 06-25-2005 01:01 AM

oh man that sucks massively! :sadyep:

guitarguy 06-25-2005 03:15 AM

My browser won't let me view your sound clips. It may be a bad link but I think it is my browser. I have my solo recorded I just need a CD to burn it on and put it on this computer. Seeing as I haven't heard your solos I hope mine fits. I used the harmonic minor and pentatonic scales. I think I'm the first person to ever do 2 handed tapping over a blues progression like that.

FTS 06-25-2005 03:53 AM

Try right clicking and "Save Link As", because it's uploaded to CGR, and I don't think their servers are messed up, as well as 3 people have already downloaded them =]

I anticipate your solo!

Dave H 06-25-2005 05:24 AM

Quote:

what guitar were you using?

I used this one.

Dave H 06-25-2005 05:25 AM

Quote:

Haha, sweet as man. Take your time. In the mean time, here's a mix of Dave's and my solos.

This ROCKS man! Yeah, Kepa is the man :yep:

FTS 06-25-2005 05:27 AM

Quote:

I used this one.

Ahh! I thought you were using a tele. I knew it was single coil. I liked your tone.

I was just about to ask you what you thought of the mix then you posted again.
Glad you like it. I think it's a great idea. I wish I had originally come up with the idea =]

Dave H 06-25-2005 05:46 AM

Quote:

Ahh! I thought you were using a tele. I knew it was single coil. I liked your tone.

I was just about to ask you what you thought of the mix then you posted again.
Glad you like it. I think it's a great idea. I wish I had originally come up with the idea =]

I think it sounds really cool, I can't wait until some more people post their's! We should do another one in a different style after this one :)

FTS 06-25-2005 06:12 AM

That'd be cool. What style are you thinking?

Dave H 06-25-2005 07:18 AM

Quote:

That'd be cool. What style are you thinking?

I don't know...I hadn't thought that far yet, I just like how this is working out so far :)

JP2_Rocks 06-25-2005 10:09 PM

well, i've finally got my stitches out...now i'm waiting for the hand to heal, and hopefully i can get something done this week!!!

Only Alive 06-25-2005 10:15 PM

That sounds great, guys. Count me in for your next project.

-Nick

FTS 06-25-2005 10:35 PM

Why the next one? Why not this one?

FTS 06-30-2005 07:57 AM

Ok, so how is everyone going on their solos?

Current Participants:
SwitchfootRulz!
MJ_Avalanche
Rainer (unsure)
JP2_Rocks (unsure)
guitarguy
<s>Kepa</s>
Skeeter
<s>Dave H</s>

As you know, Dave and I have got ours done.
If you missed it, our solos are mixed and on the page before this. If anyone else wants to join in, feel free, post your solos. On the front page, there's a lot of info.

Peace.

SwitchfootRulz! 06-30-2005 10:33 AM

ugh

I wont be able to do this until we get our new computer, and that could be like 2 months :-/

So, I guess I have to withdraw, unless this goes on for a few months :-/

FTS 06-30-2005 10:40 AM

Seeing as how this is moving fairly slow, it may be open for a while =]

FTS 07-16-2005 01:09 AM

Ok... is ANYONE still going to post a solo?
If not, Dave, do you want to post another solo? I'll do another one as well and I'll mix them with the ones we currently have.

guitarguy 07-16-2005 03:38 AM

Sory Kepa, Better count me out. I'm not satisfied with what I have and I'm a little self concious about my tone and on the recording I have I used a Jackson RR1 instead of my Old Faithful (2000 Epi Les Paul with EMGs). The tone is ok but not the same as what my LP would have sounded like. I cant get to another computer for quite some time. So I must concede to the others here. When I get to a computer with a good sound card I'm gonna start a Metal Jam Thread. It's going to be a rythm that I have written and I don't just want solo's I want lyrics too. After I get the lyrics set in stone I'll have all of our best singers sing it then have like a 40 minute long outro solo at the end. Sounds good if I can get people to participate.

Dave H 07-16-2005 08:50 AM

Quote:

Ok... is ANYONE still going to post a solo?
If not, Dave, do you want to post another solo? I'll do another one as well and I'll mix them with the ones we currently have.

Sure, I'll post another one :)

Rainer. 07-16-2005 11:41 AM

Here you go. :) A little overdue...